Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Tail docking?

Does it still happen?

1 - 5 of 5 posts

Sara Smileyface Sara Smileyface VIC Posts: 29
1 15 May 2013
For some reason I just thought of this, when I was younger, I had a beautiful little Jack Russell and we got her free to good home.
She had her tail docked, she lived in the suburbs, and she was friendly to all animals so she wasn't used for hunting in her old home. (She was friends with everything,  dogs, cats, rabbits and a blue tongue lizard!)
Anyway, why do you think her tail was docked?
Is it still legal? Because I think it's completely unnecessary and cruel.
What are your thoughts?
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
2 16 May 2013
I don't agree with it unless something happens to the tail really.

I know a lot of working dogs get docked tails so they don't break. Which is kind of good for the dog (it still hurts, even with new borns) but then I also don't believe that dogs should be used for work that's dangerous enough to get broken tails.

I think it's rottweilers too that have really weak tails that break easily, so lots of people would prefer to dock them. In that case I don't mind to much, but think it needs to be done better then just picking the pup up and cutting the tail off.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
3 16 May 2013
I was under the impression that in Australia, (NOW) this practice is definitely illegal! Same as declawing and any kind of animal mutilation. Fairly new law I think but I'm sure a few years back there was a big debate about this and it became illegal... but maybe I'm wrong? I hope not.
ReplyQuote

Vegetus Vegetus VIC Posts: 76
4 16 May 2013
It is illegal to dock dogs tails for cosmetic reasons in Australia as of 2004 - Only vets can do it if dogs are neurotic and chase their tails and it becomes a mental health issue, or their tail breaks so to prevent spinal damage they amputate the tail. RSPCA passed the legislation in 2004. I dislike RSPCA but thats one thing they did right.

Legislation:
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkb.rspca.org.au%2Fafile%2F277%2F70%2F&ei=8VGUUbXRKIjulAW2ioGQAw&usg=AFQjCNG7pBMR-BQ1BUqC_mwHrABJ2rN-1A&sig2=4D3f1bEmDEMmhxhaRkxn4g&bvm=bv.46471029,d.dGI

I think its a stupid thing to do to an animal, like amputating a childs arm because they might break it in the future - How ridiculous, we don't amputate limbs for fun its cruel! There is no point we need to premeditate an operation like that. This to me goes in the same category of cutting chickens beaks to prevent biting, declawing cats, removing pigs teeth to prevent chewing on the factory farming bars, etc etc.
ReplyQuote

The British Aussie The British Aussie SA Posts: 212
5 16 May 2013
KirstyGirl said:
I was under the impression that in Australia, (NOW) this practice is definitely illegal! Same as declawing and any kind of animal mutilation. Fairly new law I think but I'm sure a few years back there was a big debate about this and it became illegal... but maybe I'm wrong? I hope not.
You're correct, it is illegal. However it CAN be done for health reasons but that is very rare. You will find some vets though that are dodgy and will do the procedure illegally.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au