Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Mums -milk questions from kids?

Cows milk vs Soy milk kid questions?

1 - 9 of 9 posts

Vegetus Vegetus VIC Posts: 76
1 16 May 2013
Hi everyone,

Just another question i'd love everyones opinions on whether you're a mother answering these nagging questions? or a kid at school -how would have you liked your parents to approach this?

...I grew up on soy milk, for dairy allergies not because my parents we're vegetarians or anything, and now I am raising my daughter as a vegetarian on soy milk thats what I buy because I drink it, and I understand the whole 'cows milk is for calves' reasoning and don't want to contribute to that.
My partner and I have agreed to raise her vegetarian like this - no issues for about a year. However in the supermarket the other day we went past the cows milk and Abby who is almost 4, pipes up 'Mum we don't drink that milk, thats for cows" and I replied "yes thats cows milk, for baby cows". I'm sure i've told her this before and thats how she thinks like this. Then later on my partner and I got into a huge debate about how I have enforced my idea's about vegetarianism on her, and whilst he agrees she should be on soy milk, he thinks I stepped over a line telling her its for baby cows and due to this her reasoning is that 'cows milk is not for her - its bad" and I have ruined her innocence that its just "milk" and now has negative connotations.

He thinks she is too young to be told things like that, but that I should have replied something like "we don't drink that milk because its not very nice" and left it like that, like I do with meat.

I obviously got very upset being cause I feel like he has attacked my lifestyle, but maybe I should not be telling her things like this?

I want her to grow up well adjusted to vegetarian and vegan lifestyles and have the confidence to stand up to bullies in the playground with reasons why she doesn't eat meat like they do, but is this too young for a child to know these things? How am I supposed to approach her questioning. I am so used to debating with adults maybe I did step over a line?

Thoughts?
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
2 16 May 2013
The other day someone asked me why I don't consume dairy, I responded with how I find it morally wrong and to be honest it's actually quite gross if you think about what it is. She then said she prefers to have strong bones... The world is full or people unwilling to look beyond a product marketed as good for us. I plan on being completely honest with my child, when they ask questions (it will have my diet until it can cook for itself..), no matter their age, I will tell them what the industries are like, that all milk is for babies including human milk and that it's completely unnecessary to feed humans the milk of another species. I wouldn't drink milk of any other species... Your partner can't be angry at you for being honest with your child. I would have worse issues with my husband lying to mine.
ReplyQuote

The British Aussie The British Aussie SA Posts: 212
3 16 May 2013
Firstly, I'd like to say that I personally think it is wonderful that she understands where produces comes from and what it is actually meant for at her age. I see no issue in telling your own child your beliefs and morals. It is not like you are showing her videos of what is happening at age four and scaring her for life you are simply telling her the truth. I would say it is an over reaction from your partner... Could it stem from concern that she may be bullied when she attends school?

I don't see how it is forcing her in any way, that is like saying if you were a Christian that it is wrong to christen your child... It's not causing harm and when she is older she can then make an informed decession about if she would like to continue not consuming dairy.

Sorry for the ramble!
ReplyQuote

sophxx sophxx NSW Posts: 169
4 16 May 2013
I don't think what you said is wrong. you didn't tell her anything graphic. i understand telling her about factory farming is not on but i don't see whats wrong with the two lines you said
ReplyQuote

5 16 May 2013
The British Aussie said:
Firstly, I'd like to say that I personally think it is wonderful that she understands where produces comes from and what it is actually meant for at her age. I see no issue in telling your own child your beliefs and morals. It is not like you are showing her videos of what is happening at age four and scaring her for life you are simply telling her the truth. I would say it is an over reaction from your partner... Could it stem from concern that she may be bullied when she attends school?

I don't see how it is forcing her in any way, that is like saying if you were a Christian that it is wrong to christen your child... It's not causing harm and when she is older she can then make an informed decession about if she would like to continue not consuming dairy.

Sorry for the ramble!
Thank you everyone, and thanks The British Aussie for the rant haha. I think he may harbour a lot of guilt about his decisions, Im not sure. I often ramble on about issues to him and maybe he realises its the best option but wont admit it. Its tough I want to raise her as neutral as possible in regards to opinions on politics, consumerism, religion etc, but this has been the first issue where we have been at either ends of the spectrum on parenting and its tough when your partner is the one who is the least supportive. I just hope Abby will be able to stand up for herself at school for being the one who eats differently.. thats a concern we both share I think.
ReplyQuote

Ronnie Ronnie QLD Posts: 205
6 17 May 2013
Read The China Study. You'll never consume dairy again. Dr. T Colin Campbell has done research for 27 years on animal product consumption & has written The China Study based not only on his research but also other research done by other doctors, professors & universities worldwide. Basically, they found correlations between dairy consumption & osteoporosis, cancer, auto-immune diseases. Worth a read if you're health conscious.
ReplyQuote

7 17 May 2013
Yep I have it and have read it happy But I was thinking more for my 3 yr old who cant read yet haha
ReplyQuote

Ronnie Ronnie QLD Posts: 205
8 17 May 2013
I just thought it might be helpful for your partner, maybe???
ReplyQuote

Ariadne Ariadne SA Posts: 148
9 18 May 2013
I think you've handled it really well happy
I don't think you have ruined her innocence at all, you have done the complete opposite and preserved it. As has been said, you haven't given her any kind of graphic information that would frighten a small child, you have told her very gently about the cruelty involved in the meat/dairy industry. That's alot better than shielding her from the truth.

Because what's "innocent" or "nice" about these industries? I feel really bad now for all the years I spent guzzling dairy etc. because I had no idea what was involved in its production.

Your daughter will never have to feel that happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au