Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Second-hand animal products? (wool, leather, fur)

Genuinely curious

1 - 10 of 13 posts   1 | 2  


sophxx sophxx NSW Posts: 169
1 18 May 2013
As the other thread on this was made years ago and is very long, I thought I'd make a new one happy

There seems to be some debate as to whether or not it's okay to buy second-hand clothing made with animal products. I'm genuinely curious as to other people's opinions on this issue.

I only buy second-hand, sweatshop-free or fair trade clothing. I can only rarely afford clothing that is not second-hand. Some jumpers/ cardigans I buy second-hand are wool, and I can't see the problem with this.

Number one, buying from a charity gives no money to the company that produced the clothing. No money is going to sweatshops or to any company that abuses animals. The damage has been done, so to speak, and no further harm is going to anybody by wearing it. In fact, as it supports a charity, it's good!

On a limited budget, I could afford second-hand or I could afford cheap synthetics. Cheap synthetics are invariably made  in sweatshops, industrial glues and dyes are not vegan, and they come at a heavy cost to the environment. If I had to choose, between this or a charity, I would certainly not choose this!

I do understand the argument for not promoting the use of animals products, and I agree with this. For that reason, I would never buy something like a fur coat or leather jacket, as this obviously shows off that it's from an animal, and encourages others to buy it as well. But for things as subtle as a wool jumper or leather shoes, nobody knows the difference! If they ask, I can say it's synthetic, no harm done. And if I were to wear a teal jumper that was 10% wool, and someone saw it, they wouldn't think, "I'm going to buy a wool jumper," they'd think, "I'm going to buy a teal jumper." Whether I wore a jumper made of wool or not, the effect is the same.

I understand that many people don't want to do this, and that's okay, I support them. But unless I save and buy a fair trade or sweatshop-free item, I have two choices, second-hand or cheap synthetics. Most of my second-hand items are synthetic anyway, but some are not. Less harm is done buying second-hand than new synthetics produced in sweatshops.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's okay? happy
ReplyQuote

Sol Sol NSW Posts: 26
2 18 May 2013
Yeah i disagree buying second hand animal product clothes.

If a non-vegan wanted a wool jumper or leather shoes or fur jumper
they might go to a second hand shop first
and if there was none
due to someone else getting it
then they might go and buy it new.

Well it is a tricky one.
ReplyQuote

Jordanfun Jordanfun WA Posts: 79
3 19 May 2013
I don't want humans to wear animal skins and furs so I set the example by refusing to wear these products myself. I believe wearing the skin of an animal is disrespectful to the poor animal who's life was cut short. I understand your logic though, and I do believe there are bigger problems that people should be worried about. Although I do enjoy discussions about these sort of topics.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
4 20 May 2013
The whole point of not buying wool, leather or fur is to not pay people to harm animals. When you buy second hand, you're not doing this. You're also not paying for more slave labour and materials, dyes etc. etc. etc. that destroy the planet. No matter what you're buying it is more ethical to buy second hand whether it is an animal by product or not. However that being said, I would still rather have something that is not an animal product at all.

As for other peoples opinions on here, I don't think any vegan would purposely go looking for second hand animal skins! And certainly wouldn't then go and buy new ones if they couldn't find second hand versions.

The main point here is that buying second hand isn't hurting anyone and in fact is a lot better than purchasing something new no matter what it is. It's just like how purchasing a used vehicle is a lot more environmentally friendly than purchasing a new hybrid.
ReplyQuote

sophxx sophxx NSW Posts: 169
5 20 May 2013
KirstyGirl said:
The whole point of not buying wool, leather or fur is to not pay people to harm animals. When you buy second hand, you're not doing this. You're also not paying for more slave labour and materials, dyes etc. etc. etc. that destroy the planet. No matter what you're buying it is more ethical to buy second hand whether it is an animal by product or not. However that being said, I would still rather have something that is not an animal product at all.

As for other peoples opinions on here, I don't think any vegan would purposely go looking for second hand animal skins! And certainly wouldn't then go and buy new ones if they couldn't find second hand versions.

The main point here is that buying second hand isn't hurting anyone and in fact is a lot better than purchasing something new no matter what it is. It's just like how purchasing a used vehicle is a lot more environmentally friendly than purchasing a new hybrid.
Exactly! I have maybe two second-hand items that are wool, anyway. I don't seek it out happy
ReplyQuote

Ariadne Ariadne SA Posts: 148
6 21 May 2013
Sol said:
Yeah i disagree buying second hand animal product clothes.

If a non-vegan wanted a wool jumper or leather shoes or fur jumper
they might go to a second hand shop first
and if there was none
due to someone else getting it
then they might go and buy it new.

Well it is a tricky one.
But there is no real difference, neither are vegan in their first life. Not the synthetic item and not the leather/wool items. They are as bad as each other when it comes to cruelty and unethical supply chain practices.

The critical difference lies in where your money goes as a secondhand consumer.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
7 21 May 2013
Ariadne said:
Sol said:
Yeah i disagree buying second hand animal product clothes.

If a non-vegan wanted a wool jumper or leather shoes or fur jumper
they might go to a second hand shop first
and if there was none
due to someone else getting it
then they might go and buy it new.

Well it is a tricky one.
But there is no real difference, neither are vegan in their first life. Not the synthetic item and not the leather/wool items. They are as bad as each other when it comes to cruelty and unethical supply chain practices.

The critical difference lies in where your money goes as a secondhand consumer.
Exactly!
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
8 21 May 2013
sophxx said:
KirstyGirl said:
The whole point of not buying wool, leather or fur is to not pay people to harm animals. When you buy second hand, you're not doing this. You're also not paying for more slave labour and materials, dyes etc. etc. etc. that destroy the planet. No matter what you're buying it is more ethical to buy second hand whether it is an animal by product or not. However that being said, I would still rather have something that is not an animal product at all.

As for other peoples opinions on here, I don't think any vegan would purposely go looking for second hand animal skins! And certainly wouldn't then go and buy new ones if they couldn't find second hand versions.

The main point here is that buying second hand isn't hurting anyone and in fact is a lot better than purchasing something new no matter what it is. It's just like how purchasing a used vehicle is a lot more environmentally friendly than purchasing a new hybrid.
Exactly! I have maybe two second-hand items that are wool, anyway. I don't seek it out happy
Yep I've got a few non vegan items, I'm not going to just through them away and buy new stuff... that would be worse for the world. I find a lot of people in this argument say that by wearing fur/leather/wool you're promoting it. In the case of people like Pamela Anderson, it was a good thing in her case to make a big statement and get rid of her uggs because she did actually influence a lot of people... but seriously. Who do these people think they are? They're not exactly Coco Channel are they? Giving fashion advice to the masses. haha
ReplyQuote

Ariadne Ariadne SA Posts: 148
9 21 May 2013
KirstyGirl said:
sophxx said:
KirstyGirl said:
The whole point of not buying wool, leather or fur is to not pay people to harm animals. When you buy second hand, you're not doing this. You're also not paying for more slave labour and materials, dyes etc. etc. etc. that destroy the planet. No matter what you're buying it is more ethical to buy second hand whether it is an animal by product or not. However that being said, I would still rather have something that is not an animal product at all.

As for other peoples opinions on here, I don't think any vegan would purposely go looking for second hand animal skins! And certainly wouldn't then go and buy new ones if they couldn't find second hand versions.

The main point here is that buying second hand isn't hurting anyone and in fact is a lot better than purchasing something new no matter what it is. It's just like how purchasing a used vehicle is a lot more environmentally friendly than purchasing a new hybrid.
Exactly! I have maybe two second-hand items that are wool, anyway. I don't seek it out happy
Yep I've got a few non vegan items, I'm not going to just through them away and buy new stuff... that would be worse for the world. I find a lot of people in this argument say that by wearing fur/leather/wool you're promoting it. In the case of people like Pamela Anderson, it was a good thing in her case to make a big statement and get rid of her uggs because she did actually influence a lot of people... but seriously. Who do these people think they are? They're not exactly Coco Channel are they? Giving fashion advice to the masses. haha
But just in case, please tell me when the fat middle aged librarian look comes back in. I promise to use my powers for good!
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
10 21 May 2013
Ariadne said:
KirstyGirl said:
sophxx said:
KirstyGirl said:
The whole point of not buying wool, leather or fur is to not pay people to harm animals. When you buy second hand, you're not doing this. You're also not paying for more slave labour and materials, dyes etc. etc. etc. that destroy the planet. No matter what you're buying it is more ethical to buy second hand whether it is an animal by product or not. However that being said, I would still rather have something that is not an animal product at all.

As for other peoples opinions on here, I don't think any vegan would purposely go looking for second hand animal skins! And certainly wouldn't then go and buy new ones if they couldn't find second hand versions.

The main point here is that buying second hand isn't hurting anyone and in fact is a lot better than purchasing something new no matter what it is. It's just like how purchasing a used vehicle is a lot more environmentally friendly than purchasing a new hybrid.
Exactly! I have maybe two second-hand items that are wool, anyway. I don't seek it out happy
Yep I've got a few non vegan items, I'm not going to just through them away and buy new stuff... that would be worse for the world. I find a lot of people in this argument say that by wearing fur/leather/wool you're promoting it. In the case of people like Pamela Anderson, it was a good thing in her case to make a big statement and get rid of her uggs because she did actually influence a lot of people... but seriously. Who do these people think they are? They're not exactly Coco Channel are they? Giving fashion advice to the masses. haha
But just in case, please tell me when the fat middle aged librarian look comes back in. I promise to use my powers for good!
hahaha XD Will do.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au