Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Piercings?

21 - 30 of 48 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  

Amelia! Amelia! QLD Posts: 143
21 22 Nov 2009
Raah said:
I'm a massive body modification enthusiast. I know ALOT about piercings, just from years of being pierced and being interested in the art.
The legal age to get a piercing (in QLD anyways, might want to check your particular states legislation) is 16, and 18 for anything near the female or male genitalia.
At the moment i only have 4 piercings; My septum (often referred to as the 'bull ring') Both my ears are stretched to 1.5cm & i have dermal anchor piercings in my wrists. I also previously had surface piercings on my collar bones, snake bites, angel bites (dumb name. like snake bites but on the top lip. as well as the webbing in between my top lip & gums (a small ball & ring hung in front of my smile. sounds weird. looks great!)
Ok. Now i have to stress. DO NOT GO TO PLACES LIKE HAIR HOUSE WAREHOUSE OR PRICE ATTACK!
These places DO NOT hire properly trained piercers, yes majority of them have done a piercing course, but that does not make them qualified.
Go to an actual piercing shop. Do not go to a hair supply shop to get a piercing, you will honestly regret it. A piercing shop is more expensive, but you're paying for quality work, jewelry not to mention the aftercare. If you do have issues with new piercings, places like Hair Warehouse do not provide adequate information let alone help. A good reputable piercing shop will always see you regarding you piercings and their health, and they know exactly what they're talking about.

As far as general aftercare of piercings goes. You can purchase the cleaning sprays they sell at Piercing shops, but its also just as good, if not better IMO to use salt water. Just a matter of dissolving sea salt (make sure its sea salt not cooking salt) then letting it cool before soaking your piercing. you should do this regularly, about once of twice a day for the first two weeks.

Don't be fooled. piercings do scar, it just depends on the placement, the quality of the piercing job and the persons skin, as well as the length of time you keep them in for. For example, i have scars from my snake bites which i had pierced for 5 years, but not from my angel bites as i only had them a couple years.

Piercers DO NOT use numbing gel. Even tattooists don't use numbing cremes, they're expensive and not readily available here. Plus, you seriously do not even need it. Your ears will hurt for a second, then just feel hot. Your lip will hurt too, but only for a short amount of time. then it'll be a little swollen for a day or two and a little sore to the touch. But nothing unbearable at all. If you're looking to avoid pain, avoid surface piercings and tattoos. lol.

Ah. teeth. Yes, piercings do effect your teeth. It does depend on the mouth and the piercing placement, but it is very rare that you won't do any damage at all. Most people get tiny fractures in their teeth, chips, or their gums can recede.

Hope i helped, some answers may not be what you were expecting, or wanting, but its best to be informed and be able to enjoy piercings without any surprises down the track.
Be warned, piercings can be like tattoos, once you get one you just need more. I'm already up to no.27 & counting... haha.
feel free to ask me anything else if you're still wondering =P
Thank-you so much for all your help and advice! I've been looking through websites, though none of them have been really helpful (they all sound like they've been written by people who've never gone near a piercing in their life). You've pretty much answered all my questions that I had xD I can't think of any more at the moment, but when I think of one, I'll come to you xD Thanks again for your help!
ReplyQuote

22 22 Nov 2009
MothWings said:
Well I suppose it depends on the place you go to but my piercer does use numbing cream for mouth piercings, though now that I've had others done I'd say it does nothing -like a placebo.

Piercings do leave scars -especially if it doesn't heal which happens to alot of surface piercings. It happened to my tear drop and sternum piercing, though the scars fade after a while.

Apart from that I've got 3 lip piercings left. I do want more though, thinking of trying out tear drop again.
Raah said:
DO NOT GO TO PLACES LIKE HAIR HOUSE WAREHOUSE OR PRICE ATTACK!
Ahh ok. When you say they fade, can you still see them? Sorry I'm so full of questions. I want to be completely informed and know a lot about this before I go forth and get them done. Makes me sound like such a square xD
ReplyQuote

23 22 Nov 2009
sarah-moo said:
piercings are great ive had a few ive had Monroe
double lip on one side snake bites are stupid in my opinion
tragus nose and two in each ear
i ended up taking them out awhile ago and yesterday got rid of y nose one to ive had it since i was first in high school i still go to play with it, and think ive lost it.

they are fine as long as you dont play with them or keep taking them out which could cause infections and you need to clean them properly
if your school does not allow piercing dont get any facial piercings
Horses for courses xD I don't plan on taking them out and playing with them. Hell, I never change my earrings xD They've been the same ol' sleepers for years now. Oh, and I go to an alternative school where there are no dress, makeup or hair rules - you're allowed to have piercings (its sort of a hippy school, so they encourage it xD)
ReplyQuote

24 22 Nov 2009
Fear__Loathing said:
I'm a piercing lover haha, Iíve had 14 but there would have been more had I not gone to a private girls school for the past 6 years.

I recent got my nostril pierced, and have finally retired my septum that i've had for 3-4 years.

I have 10 in my ears, two cartilage piercings and three lobe piercings in one ear, then five lobe piercings in the other. I would like to get more, but Iím running out of room! Haha

I also have my navel pierced, itís rarely seen by anyone but it was a fun piercing to get. I have a video of it actually, my friend Jess went first and I went second happy
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=42526904

Some places do have numbing cream/mouth wash for oral piercings, but you have to pay like $10-$15 extra for it. Ear piercings don't hurt much at all, you'll be fine! happy
Ooh that sounds awesome! Ha, I went to a catholic all girls school for 3 years. It SUCKED. Do they let you have piercings if they're those clear ones that are barely noticeable? I always wondered that, but never got around to asking them xD Wow, that video wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Maybe I'm just overreacting to how I think it will hurt. Just the needles make me all wierd Dx
ReplyQuote

25 22 Nov 2009
soy said:
Laws have changed for piercings and tattoos, even if you're under the age of 18 with guardians permission it is illegal for them to modify you.
I believe that's Nationwide but I could be wrong.

I say go for it! If it's not just on a whim and you've thought about it for a while and still like the idea - do it! Body modification is a fantastic way to show off not only your body but your personality and what you believe in.

I have 3 piercings - lobes, helix and nostril. And one tattoo which is on my left shoulder/back with one more on the way! I'm getting the vegan V on my right thumb happy make sure the ink is vegan though happy

Just a warning though, they're ADDICTIVE.
Ooh, what is your tattoo of (if you don't mind my asking)? I've always thought about getting my lobes done again (my mum has two piercings in her lobes and I've always wanted that since I was little) so I have no worries with getting the lobes done again. And I've been consistently wanting snake bites for about 3 - 3 1/2 years now. The three main things that are holding me back on that are: the effect on my teeth (I don't want to ruin them and I don't want to screw up my gum line), scarring if I decide I don't want them anymore, and the fact that I don't think my parents will agree. I've got no idea how to get around that xD
ReplyQuote

ChloeMB ChloeMB VIC Posts: 560
26 22 Nov 2009
no i wouldn't get them in ur mouth - i've just heard too many horror stories about it
but get ur ears done again,
i would so get my belly button pierced exept for the scary infection stories that come with that as well
ReplyQuote

MothWings MothWings NSW Posts: 102
27 22 Nov 2009
Amelia! said:
MothWings said:
Well I suppose it depends on the place you go to but my piercer does use numbing cream for mouth piercings, though now that I've had others done I'd say it does nothing -like a placebo.

Piercings do leave scars -especially if it doesn't heal which happens to alot of surface piercings. It happened to my tear drop and sternum piercing, though the scars fade after a while.

Apart from that I've got 3 lip piercings left. I do want more though, thinking of trying out tear drop again.
Raah said:
DO NOT GO TO PLACES LIKE HAIR HOUSE WAREHOUSE OR PRICE ATTACK!
Ahh ok. When you say they fade, can you still see them? Sorry I'm so full of questions. I want to be completely informed and know a lot about this before I go forth and get them done. Makes me sound like such a square xD
If you look close enough you can see them, like right up close. The scar from my sternum piercing is still visible (its probably faded half of what is was like) but I only took that out the start of the year and that was badly infected.  Ummm the scars are less visible than a freckle but I suppose it could be different for others, depends on how your skin heals
ReplyQuote

Fear__Loathing Fear__Loathing VIC Posts: 32
28 22 Nov 2009
Amelia! said:
Fear__Loathing said:
I'm a piercing lover haha, Iíve had 14 but there would have been more had I not gone to a private girls school for the past 6 years.

I recent got my nostril pierced, and have finally retired my septum that i've had for 3-4 years.

I have 10 in my ears, two cartilage piercings and three lobe piercings in one ear, then five lobe piercings in the other. I would like to get more, but Iím running out of room! Haha

I also have my navel pierced, itís rarely seen by anyone but it was a fun piercing to get. I have a video of it actually, my friend Jess went first and I went second happy
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=42526904

Some places do have numbing cream/mouth wash for oral piercings, but you have to pay like $10-$15 extra for it. Ear piercings don't hurt much at all, you'll be fine! happy
Ooh that sounds awesome! Ha, I went to a catholic all girls school for 3 years. It SUCKED. Do they let you have piercings if they're those clear ones that are barely noticeable? I always wondered that, but never got around to asking them xD Wow, that video wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Maybe I'm just overreacting to how I think it will hurt. Just the needles make me all wierd Dx
Nah they didn't haha, if they saw it, you had to take it out. I was just highly sneaky wink
Plus it was way easy to hid my septum piercing, i just tucked it up inside my nose. And I almost always wore my hair down to cover my ears.

Hah yeah it wasn't bad at all, and if you're like me you get an adrenaline rush after the piercing, thats what some people find addictive happy
ReplyQuote

Rosie Wolf Rosie Wolf VIC Posts: 163
29 22 Nov 2009
Fear__Loathing said:
Nah they didn't haha, if they saw it, you had to take it out. I was just highly sneaky wink
Plus it was way easy to hid my septum piercing, i just tucked it up inside my nose. And I almost always wore my hair down to cover my ears.

Hah yeah it wasn't bad at all, and if you're like me you get an adrenaline rush after the piercing, thats what some people find addictive happy
Haha ditto. I had 7 facial and like 6 something ear piercings in high school and it never became an issue, simply because i, like you, was super sneaky haha. The septum is my all time favourite piercing (along with the smiley), for how it looks aesthetically , and just for the super cool fact of being able to hide it in 0.2 seconds lol. As much as i wish it wasn't an issue, IMO You're really lucky if you can find a job where you're allowed facial piercings, esp more than one, so even once you've left school they will most likely be an issue. which is why; If you do get your lip pierced, you can purchase clear jewellry, i recommend plastic fish tails. you can hardly notice them, if anything it just sort of looks like a little blemish i guess. easiest way to keep your piercings open without getting in trouble, just slip your ring back in after school or work. keeping your piercings open is another tip, If you let your piercings close over a lot, they become aggravated and are more likely to become infected and or leave scarring when you eventually take them out.
Piercings are a truly wonderful form of expression, along with tattoos. But make a good informed decision, don't stress, if its too much of an issue with school and family to get the piercing, just wait =]
ReplyQuote

f3xstar f3xstar NSW Posts: 212
30 2 Dec 2009
Amelia! said:
First off... I HAVE RETURNED!! I was gone for a while, but now I'm back to annoy you all 8D

Anyway, back on track now. I've just heard a lot of talk about piercings lately (e.g. at school, on several other sites I go on, in my family etc) and I've just always been interested in them. I know there are people who hate them, and there are people who love them. I'm considering getting my ears pierced again (my mother suggested it to me the other day) and for the past few years, I've been thinking about getting 'snake bites' done (for those of you who don't know, they're the two lip piercings - one on either side of your bottom lip). I probably won't end up getting those done though, because I know my parents would freak out if I ever did get them (and theres the fact that they'd never agree). Anyone know ways around this? Plus, I'm a major germ freak and I'd be paranoid about infection xD Anywho, as you can tell, I'm particularly bored. Hence the creation of this thread. Anyone else have opinions/stories about piercings? Stupid topic I know, but hey xD

TL;DR:
I'm bored, considering getting piercings. Thoughts/personal stories/opinions?
lol i wanna get those but i know my mum would rip them out before i could even walk into the door.

if ur 16, u can get them done at aome parlours. i know off ya tree does all piercings apart from dermells for ppl 16+. u can get someone who is your 'guardian' (someone who is usually 18+) to give u permission so u can get one of ur friends.
other alternative is getting a sterilised needle and ice and doing it homestyle!
but seriously consider the pros and cons before doing the piercing!!!
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au