Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Brumby Cruelty-gruesome(graphic)

What's going on under our noses.

1 - 4 of 4 posts

brumbylover brumbylover NSW Posts: 1
1 13 Jun 2013
Many of us would have shuddered at the 'Guy Fawkes shootings', and maybe googled it too see how bad it really was. I know I did both. And was HORRIFIED! But apart from Save The Brumbies organisation in NNSW and the other various brumby re-homing centre volunteers throughout Aus, who really knows what goes on?
Well I had decided, after being with our neighbourly equines, to do my End Of Year VA(Visual Arts)project on the terrible treatment those intelligent creatures get at the hands of usually untrained people.(Many brumbies, especially around here, are not even usually shot by the 'rangers' so much as unlicensed 'sport' hunters who are generally drunk.) Anyway, the result of my trawling on Google turned up some pictures so graphic I opted to stay up late rather than try to sleep, which would undoubtedly have resulted in terrible nightmares.  (if you decide to take a look at it I suggest you do it a Long time before bed!) Paste this into your browser
NSW Police Snipers To Shoot Brumbies www.sosnews.org        
you'll never need a horror movie!
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
2 13 Jun 2013
It's such a sad reality when there are so many other more humane ways of managing our wild horse populations. Unfortunately it's one of those topics that doesn't get enough media coverage as I'm sure the general public would be outraged to know the truth. Good on you for doing your part to bring awareness to this horrible practice.
ReplyQuote

robert99 robert99 Sweden Posts: 1360
3 27 Dec 2017
http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/politics/feral-horses-victoria-drafts-trapping-strategy-abandons-aerial-shooting/news-story/8c55e93dc9fee3965b91c0d5f3cc2960

A PROPOSAL to use aerial shooting to cull feral horses in Victoria’s alpine parks has been abandoned by the Victorian Government.

The Government has instead drafted a strategy to trap 1200 feral horses at a cost of about $700 a head over the next three years, plus conducting some limited mustering.

The draft Protection of Alpine National Parks — Feral Horse Strategic Action Plan states once horses are trapped they “will be transported to holding locations and offered for rehoming by volunteer organisations where this can be done humanely”.

“Where remote trap locations are established and transporting horses from these areas is likely to be inhumane, or horses are not suitable for rehoming, horses will be culled humanely on-site.

“Where possible, carcasses of horses will be removed from capture sites and disposed of appropriately (possibly by burial).”

The decision to focus on trapping flies in the face of expert advice outlined in a 15-year management plan released by Environment Minister Lily D’Ambrosio last Dec­ember.

That plan received technical advice that aerial shooting was the most humane culling technique and that trapping was resource-intensive and risked stressing and injuring feral horses. Not only is the cost of trapping high, each trap usually only captures one to three horses.

The latest strategy, which is open for public comment on the Government’s engage.vic.gov.au website, estimates trapping 1200 horses will “mean a significant trapping increase of between 10-15 times the average over the period 2007-2017”.

Omeo Victorian Farmers Federation president Simon Turner said trapping on its own was not enough to rein in the explosion in feral horse numbers across Victoria’s Alpine National Park and state forests. He and wife Rowena said the 2003 bushfires destroyed forest canopies, opening up vast grazing areas that fed the brumby boom.

“Now the scrub has grown again and the population is being squeezed, putting pressure on smaller (pastured) areas,” Mr Turner said.

“Trapping on its own is very limited. My suggestion is you go in and do helicopter mustering first to get the numbers down and then use trapping to mop up.”

The Government’s report says aerial shooting will not be used “due to public perceptions and preference for passive techniques such as trapping”.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au