Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

30 day Vegan challenge

Any advise to ease the transition

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Jasmint1976 Jasmint1976 WA Posts: 28
1 14 Jun 2013
Hi peeps, well I have been a vegetarian for 8 months and have been pondering the transition to Veganism for a couple of months now. I don't expect this to be easy, especially considering the rest of my family are still meat & dairy eaters. But that's not going to stop me.

Have you got any advise and tips for me?

scared huh
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
2 14 Jun 2013
For me it was a gradual process, first I cut out dairy, then eggs and honey. Dairy was a huge part of my diet so that took the longest to adjust to but I armed myself with heaps of dairy alternatives and did the research on the industries that drove me to be passionate about the cause. I guess it all depends on why you want to become vegan, whether it's environmental or animal welfare etc.. Having the knowledge at my fingertips was definitely a plus for me. I also come from an omni family with a focus on meat but now that it's been almost 2 years my family respect my decision and can see it's not just a phase or fad. Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself if it doesn't work out or you accidentally consume something you wish you hadn't, we've all been there.
ReplyQuote

Butterfree Butterfree WA Posts: 64
3 15 Jun 2013
I was vegetarian first, and then after watching a few heartbreaking videos online I quit all animal products cold turkey tongue It wasn't easy, but it happened!
ReplyQuote

Ronnie Ronnie QLD Posts: 205
4 18 Jun 2013
I was vegetarian for a long time then leant about the dairy & egg industry so went vegan overnight.

Look to substitute, don't take away any foods without knowing what to substitute it with or you may start to question your decision & become hungry thank; gosh for the Internet. I'm an avid baker and my greatest "problem" was replacing eggs. I now use No Egg, golden flaxseeds ground to meal with water added, silken tofu, bananas - mashed, pumpkin purée, apple purée.

For butter  I use raw, organic, virgin or extra/virgin, unrefined coconut oil or in some biscuits Cacao Butter.

I use beans, lentils, split peas, tofu & tempeh for protein, but I don't think beans, lentils, peas are a complete protein unless mixed with rice so I do this every time I cook beans etc....

Almond & rice milk are my preferred milks - almond milk  seems to work better in baking than rice milk. I use Almond milk or Coconut milk in cooking. If shopping for coconut milk I buy Spirals Orgnics or Nakula, or make my own from shredded coconut. I make my own coconut yoghurt too.

Lots of veggies with lunch & dinner too. Hope my experience was able to assist you.
ReplyQuote

HopeConnolly HopeConnolly WA Posts: 15
5 19 Jun 2013
Where are you in WA?

I am in Rockingham and there is a great store called Malibu, they have quite a bit of Vegan stuff. Icecream, Yogurt, Cheeses, Chocolate.

At the Freo Markets there is Clara's wholefoods they sell egg replacer and other stuff that may be handy too.

Replace honey with Agave syryp.
ReplyQuote

HopeConnolly HopeConnolly WA Posts: 15
6 19 Jun 2013
Oh and by family do you mean children and husband? Or siblings and mum and dad?
ReplyQuote

7 20 Jun 2013
HopeConnolly said:
Where are you in WA?

I am in Rockingham and there is a great store called Malibu, they have quite a bit of Vegan stuff. Icecream, Yogurt, Cheeses, Chocolate.

At the Freo Markets there is Clara's wholefoods they sell egg replacer and other stuff that may be handy too.

Replace honey with Agave syryp.
I absolutely love Malibu, I live in Baldivis and visit Malibu every Sunday...think its how I have survived so far.  clap
ReplyQuote

8 20 Jun 2013
HopeConnolly said:
Oh and by family do you mean children and husband? Or siblings and mum and dad?
By family I mean my Husband and two children (16 yr old girl, 18 yr old boy).
Husband is supportive, Daughter doesn't mind trying the things I cook, but my son is a true carnivore and always gives me a hard time  rolleyes
ReplyQuote

BFV BFV SA Posts: 138
9 21 Jun 2013
My advice would be: keep doing your research!
Learn as much as you can about the environmental and health benefits of a vegan diet, as well as the harm caused to animals used for food (and clothing, experimentation, entertainment, etc.)
I think this is important for 2 reasons:
Firstly, for yourself. The more you know about the issues, the easier it is to put veganism into practice. Foods that used to be delicious are no longer tempting when you fully understand what goes into making them.
Secondly, for others. The potential downside to veganism is the concern/criticism that you will no doubt get from others at some point, and it sounds like you have already experienced some of this as a vegetarian. But people's criticism doesn't have to be a negative experience. If you know your stuff, it will be easy to refute any concern they might have, and it is actually a great opportunity to educate people about your reasons for choosing this lifestyle. Some people will just be trying to stir you up by making comments, but some people will be genuinely concerned or curious, and may have ingrained beliefs that they have never really questioned until you raise the points.
I'm not sure what you've read/watched already, but let me know if you want some recommendations on any topics of interest.
All the best!
ReplyQuote

Mik Mik QLD Posts: 23
10 27 Jun 2013
Good luck! Once you know what to eat, it is easy. I personally add more fruits and veg I like (especially summer) to my diet. Remember fruits don't need to be just snacks or desert. They go quite nicely in a meal also. My wife consumes dairy but only the closest to  animal cruelty free dairy, which is Barambah. They let all their male cows go and live on seperate acreage they own. They also do not over milk and allow baby cows the time they need for nourishment. Our friend has wagu only for pets and never to be killed, so occasionally he will make some cheese that even I will eat.(still leaves me feeling greasy afterwards). And our neighbour owns chickens to die from old age so these eggs are fine also. Personally I believe vegan means animal cruelty free, and these are ways to see it in a different light. I'd prefer not to constrict myself with labels attached, but am a vegan if asked to make things simpler. Live animal cruelty free and forget the labels happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au