Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

I dont understand why :(

People

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

Steffy T Steffy T QLD Posts: 6
1 22 Jun 2013
I really dont understand why people are being so horrible now that i have made a choice to be vegetarian and have started acting against animal cruelty.

Im not hurting anyone or forcing my opinion on people, i am only trying to make this world a kinder place.

Why do these people stand up for the horrible way these poor animals are tortured, it breaks my heart.

Im having a very hard time but am staying strong.

Has anyone else been through this? It would be nice to hear others experiences and how they dealt with the ridicule.

love Steffy x
ReplyQuote

Showbags Showbags QLD Posts: 162
2 22 Jun 2013
Steffy T said:
I really dont understand why people are being so horrible now that i have made a choice to be vegetarian and have started acting against animal cruelty.

Im not hurting anyone or forcing my opinion on people, i am only trying to make this world a kinder place.

Why do these people stand up for the horrible way these poor animals are tortured, it breaks my heart.

Im having a very hard time but am staying strong.

Has anyone else been through this? It would be nice to hear others experiences and how they dealt with the ridicule.

love Steffy x
Don't worry most on here have experienced the same thing. The reason why people get so defensive is because you not eating meat is a judgement on them in their eyes. They subconsciously think you are saying to them "you are a horrible person for eating meat".

The best advice I can give you is:
a) Show respect to all people whether they eat meat or not (as it sounds like you are).
b) Educate yourself fully on ALL aspects of animal cruelty so if an argument arises you can put forward your case eloquently and articulately.

Just stay strong and remember you are doing a good thing by giving up as many animal products as possible (whether it be meat, milk, eggs, leather shoes or whatever) not only for the animals who are tortured to produce these goods but for your own health.
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
3 22 Jun 2013
Sorry to hear you're having a hard time of it. I find the people who are most argumentative or judgemental are the ones who have the least knowledge on the subject. It spawns from their lack of confidence in their own choices. At the end of the day you are an adult capable of making your own decisions, whether they are for the best or not they are still your own. Trust me that once your family and close friends come to terms with it, it will get easier. Also those who know you best should respect you and your decisions. Otherwise they shouldn't have the privilege of being in your life.
ReplyQuote

Ronnie Ronnie QLD Posts: 205
4 23 Jun 2013
Steph I experience this too, mostly from my 'best friend'. She's absolutely horrible saying 'meat tastes soooo good, meat is yummy'. I really hate it when she says that just to make me upset. She's my age but she acts like such a b***h when my veganism is brought up & she usually brings it up!! I really dislike her & question why I stay friend switcher when she acts like this. The other advice is helpful that others gave.
ReplyQuote

Steffy T Steffy T QLD Posts: 6
5 23 Jun 2013
Thank you everyone i feel a lot better now.

I told my mum when i came to visit this weekend and she jumped at the idea, she even went to the shop and bought me a bunch of veg and fruit for my stay.
My sister workes at a pizza shop and brought me home a veggie pizza home happy

I was so worried about what people were saying but now my family is on board i dont seem to care for others opinions happy

Thanks guys xxxx

banana
ReplyQuote

BFV BFV SA Posts: 138
6 23 Jun 2013
Great to hear you are staying strong!
It's easy to see how we get labelled as overly emotional or 'angry veg*ns' - people are constantly provoking us!
The important thing is to not take it personally. Throughout history people have been criticised, attacked, and ostracised for being different or making choices that are different from the majority. The reason being that people are scared of anything unfamiliar, and don't like their comfortable set of beliefs to be questioned.
I recently replied to another thread with some advice that I think is relevant here as well... I hope you don't mind me copy & pasting!

BFV said:
My advice would be: keep doing your research!
Learn as much as you can about the environmental and health benefits of a vegan diet, as well as the harm caused to animals used for food (and clothing, experimentation, entertainment, etc.)
I think this is important for 2 reasons:
Firstly, for yourself. The more you know about the issues, the easier it is to put veganism into practice. Foods that used to be delicious are no longer tempting when you fully understand what goes into making them.
Secondly, for others. The potential downside to veganism is the concern/criticism that you will no doubt get from others at some point, and it sounds like you have already experienced some of this as a vegetarian. But people's criticism doesn't have to be a negative experience. If you know your stuff, it will be easy to refute any concern they might have, and it is actually a great opportunity to educate people about your reasons for choosing this lifestyle. Some people will just be trying to stir you up by making comments, but some people will be genuinely concerned or curious, and may have ingrained beliefs that they have never really questioned until you raise the points.
I'm not sure what you've read/watched already, but let me know if you want some recommendations on any topics of interest.
All the best!
ReplyQuote

Soy Soldier Soy Soldier QLD Posts: 4
7 23 Jun 2013
stay strong & keep doing what you think is right.. others don't matter (;
ReplyQuote

Showbags Showbags QLD Posts: 162
8 23 Jun 2013
Hey Steffy, I think watching a few documentaries as well helped me to understand that what I was doing was the right thing. They are a good way to get informed on the subject and strengthen your resolve. I know after I watch one I remember that the minor amount of discomfort I have being a Vegan in a non Vegan world is nothing compared to what the animals have to go through.

Here's a list of some good ones for yourself to watch if you have the time, most are on youtube (though a warning some are very graphic and difficult to watch):

-Earthlings (most on here have sat through Earthlings. Be sure to have a box of tissues handy).

-Meat the Truth (about animal agriculture effect on the environment).

-Forks over Knives (about health benefits of removing animal products from your diet).

-Peaceable Kingdom (another tear jerker).

-The Gary Yourofsky Speech (this is a must watch and Gary really explains things well).
ReplyQuote

BFV BFV SA Posts: 138
9 23 Jun 2013
Another good video that relates to meat-eaters' preconceptions:

Carnism: The Psychology of Eating Meat
http://youtu.be/7vWbV9FPo_Q

Some shorter videos:

A Life Connected (12 minutes)
https://vimeo.com/13317130

Us and the Planet (2 minutes)
http://vimeo.com/51888108

Reading:

Eating Up the World
http://www.vegetarianvictoria.org.au/cms/articles/eatinguptheworldv3.pdf

Why Vegan?
http://www.vegsoc.org.au/downloads/WhyVegan-0404.pdf
ReplyQuote

Mik Mik QLD Posts: 23
10 27 Jun 2013
You did it for yourself, your health, the animals, or all reasons. Brings you good karma, and if your happy and healthy with this decision, then no one elses opinion matters
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au