Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

VEGAN INGREDIENTS HELP!

Unsure of what's what in ingredients lists

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

JKORULESOK JKORULESOK VIC Posts: 15
1 7 Jul 2013
Hey everyone,
I'm relatively new to eating vegan and am still ironing out a few kinks in my understanding of how some animal products are hidden in ingredients lists. I'm also still learning to properly follow the concept, "when in doubt, don't buy!"

Anyways, I recently bought a box of 'Gravox Fuller Flavour Gravy', assuming that because the 'Traditional' and 'Supreme' gravies were safe for me to eat that this one would be too. I had a quick look at the ingredients list at the supermarket and couldn't see anything suspect but have now just realised (after having used the product a few times sadcry ) that there is a red section under the ingredients list that states,
"contains wheat, milk and soy products."

Would anyone PLEASE be able to let me know which ingredients in this gravy are derived from milk? I REALLY don't want to make the same mistake again and am so, so upset that I've unintentionally eaten dairy sad I'm really mad at myself for not looking at ALL the information provided and just assuming I knew what I was buying (and subsequently eating!)

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated, The ingredients list is as follows: WHEAT FLOUR, SALT, HYDROLYSED VEGETABLE PROTEIN, COLOUR (CARAMEL III), VEGETABLE GUM (GUAR), FLAVOUR ENHANCER (621).

Thanks heaps in advance!
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
2 7 Jul 2013
As for the gravy I have no idea how is has milk in it but I have an app called Animal Free and it lists almost every ingredient which is animal derived and also states whether it can also be plant based. That's my go to app when I'm in doubt. Hope that helps happy
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
3 8 Jul 2013
Doesn't look like there's any milk in that. Maybe they stuffed up the label. Theres a handy list on my website: http://www.vegantasmania.com/p/food.html which has all animal derived ingredients listed, plus numbers. It's super easy to search too.

Just FYI 621 is msg.
ReplyQuote

Showbags Showbags QLD Posts: 162
4 8 Jul 2013
JKORULESOK said:
Hey everyone,
I'm relatively new to eating vegan and am still ironing out a few kinks in my understanding of how some animal products are hidden in ingredients lists. I'm also still learning to properly follow the concept, "when in doubt, don't buy!"

Anyways, I recently bought a box of 'Gravox Fuller Flavour Gravy', assuming that because the 'Traditional' and 'Supreme' gravies were safe for me to eat that this one would be too. I had a quick look at the ingredients list at the supermarket and couldn't see anything suspect but have now just realised (after having used the product a few times sadcry ) that there is a red section under the ingredients list that states,
"contains wheat, milk and soy products."

Would anyone PLEASE be able to let me know which ingredients in this gravy are derived from milk? I REALLY don't want to make the same mistake again and am so, so upset that I've unintentionally eaten dairy sad I'm really mad at myself for not looking at ALL the information provided and just assuming I knew what I was buying (and subsequently eating!)

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated, The ingredients list is as follows: WHEAT FLOUR, SALT, HYDROLYSED VEGETABLE PROTEIN, COLOUR (CARAMEL III), VEGETABLE GUM (GUAR), FLAVOUR ENHANCER (621).

Thanks heaps in advance!
When they have disclaimers like "may contain nuts, milk or soy products" it isn't because the thing you are eating is made from that but the product may have been made in the same factory, using the same equipment that may have traces of nuts, milk or soy (or whatever). It is just for legal purposes so that people with allergies to these things are given warning.

It's up to you whether you still want to eat them. I personally do but some Vegans will not. I consider it Vegan myself.
ReplyQuote

HarvestMoon HarvestMoon NSW Posts: 23
5 19 Jul 2013
The caramel colouring can be derived from lactose.
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
6 19 Jul 2013
*Steph* said:
As for the gravy I have no idea how is has milk in it but I have an app called Animal Free and it lists almost every ingredient which is animal derived and also states whether it can also be plant based. That's my go to app when I'm in doubt. Hope that helps happy
I type "animal free" into the app store and all I got was games and animal sounds apps. How did you find it?
ReplyQuote

7 23 Jul 2013
Thanks heaps! I emailed them and apparently one of the flavours is a milk derivative, SO annoying! I'm just gong to start reading labels a lot more carefully and am about to download that app as I type, thanks so much happy
ReplyQuote

8 23 Jul 2013
Thanks heaps for that happy I emailed them and apparently it's one of the unlisted flavours (derived from milk). I've bookmarked that link too, thanks again!
ReplyQuote

9 23 Jul 2013
Oh, really? That sucks! Thanks for letting me know cause I know I've definitely bought stuff with caramel flavour in it before!
ReplyQuote

Ron Ron NSW Posts: 233
10 10 Aug 2014
JKORULESOK said:
Thanks heaps for that happy I emailed them and apparently it's one of the unlisted flavours (derived from milk). I've bookmarked that link too, thanks again!
There's a discussion on the Facebook page 'Cheap Easy and Green Vegan Recipes'  where it says that Gravox Traditional gravy now contains milk (probably in the ingredient shortening powder).
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au