Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

parents wont let me go vegetarian but i feel guilty eating meat

1 - 10 of 10 posts

jmspencer jmspencer NSW Posts: 15
1 11 Jul 2013
i especially can't stand looking at raw meat and i hate how every1 judges me because i can't be vegetarian.
ReplyQuote

tiedyedtofu tiedyedtofu NSW Posts: 221
2 11 Jul 2013
If you can just try and eat as little as you can. Remember that you are the one that should be choosing what you eat. Hopefully one day you can become a vegetarian. happy
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
3 11 Jul 2013
Can you offer to make your own meals? I was lucky in that when I became vego my Mum only tried a few times to sneak meat into my meals before she realized I wasn't having a bar of it. Now she cooks me vegan meals whenever I'm at her house. Everything takes time, just hang in there and make sure your parents know it's not just a fad, but something you are very passionate about.
ReplyQuote

Showbags Showbags QLD Posts: 162
4 11 Jul 2013
*Steph* said:
Can you offer to make your own meals? I was lucky in that when I became vego my Mum only tried a few times to sneak meat into my meals before she realized I wasn't having a bar of it. Now she cooks me vegan meals whenever I'm at her house. Everything takes time, just hang in there and make sure your parents know it's not just a fad, but something you are very passionate about.
+1

Offering to cook your own meals is the best way to go. If your parents still don't allow it then don't be too worried. Just keep chipping away at your parents and educating them that removing animal products (if done right) will actually benefit your health. And just try to do what you can until you can make your own decisions.

Just make sure you do your research though and eat properly. You don't want to get sick and put yourself off ever changing.
ReplyQuote

jmspencer jmspencer NSW Posts: 15
5 12 Jul 2013
thanks`
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
6 13 Jul 2013
Hey darling,

I tell you what parents are a BATTLE and it's bloody tough fighting them on the vego topic, especially if you are living with them coming home to them everyday, a lot of people don't realise how tough it can be.

Firstly, your heart is in the right place, in no way should you be feeling guilty!

Secondly, the reason your parents are fighting you is usually because they are concerned for your health and wellbeing, not because they are mean!

Thirdly, I recommend doing some research besides the animal rights argument, health works on parents. A delicate balance is an amazing easy to understand documentary on the health benefits of ditching meat, going into detail about how it's one of the biggest causes of cancer next to dairy!

Purchase the doco, watch it, explain to your parents, then get them to watch it if possible. If you are serious enough a really good idea is to offer to cook your own meals, see a nutritionist before you broach the topic so you can write down all the deets about living a healthy meat free diet, sit them down explain and most of all,

don't raise your voice, even if they yell, not raising your voice shows maturity and dedication.

don't expect them to change their minds immediately, take your time on the topic!

don't nag! Parents hate nothing more than constant badgering and will just encourage them to stand their ground on the subject.

If you need any more advice or have any more questions I'm here for ya, I may not be on the forums much any more but just shoot me a message and I promise I will get back to you ASAP love

You don't need luck, just solid feet and the assurance that people like myself now vegan and a kickass volunteer for organisations such as animals australia animal liberation and sea shepherd have been in the exact same position as you, four years ago now to be exact, I was pescetarian (no meat besides fish) before my parents finally caved! Didn't go vegan til I moved this year!

Love and peace to you little one peace
ReplyQuote

NicoleCee NicoleCee NSW Posts: 4
7 13 Jul 2013
Stand so strong in what you believe in that you persuade others to follow.

I would suggest showing your parents this video http://whatcamebefore.com/

And do not conform to being a soul eater.

You live your life, you die your life, your body is your temple and no matter how old you are it's up to you what you wish to consume in your temple.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
8 13 Jul 2013
NicoleCee said:
Stand so strong in what you believe in that you persuade others to follow.

I would suggest showing your parents this video http://whatcamebefore.com/

And do not conform to being a soul eater.

You live your life, you die your life, your body is your temple and no matter how old you are it's up to you what you wish to consume in your temple.
Not everyone gets to buy their own vegies. What do you expect a kid with unapproving parents  to eat the steamed veg off the side of their plates? personally i think working on the parents so you can be a happy healthy vego rather than stressing about conflict and becoming over tired, pale and either overweight or underweight from malnutrition or inadequate iron levels is the better option considering i have been there and gone through the latter.  Being unhealthy is not fun and as much healthier and happier a vego or vegan diet is it most certainly isnt without adequate balance. Please dont feel bad or listen to people telling you you are conforming to eating flesh animal meat however you want to call it,do the best with what you have. There are real people out there such as me or jesse that will support you to just make the best choices you can, if your heart is set you will get there. Xx
ReplyQuote

Jordana Jordana VIC Posts: 37
9 15 Jul 2013
At the end of the day, they can't really force meat down your throat.
My parents were very against me going vegetarian (and then vegan), but I pretty much told them it wasn't there choice anymore. As time passed they eventually got more comfortable with my choice and now are pretty understanding and sometimes even go out of their way for me.

The main reason my parents weren't happy about it originally was that they didn't want to be inconvenienced by it. So if your parents are the same, offer to make your own meals, or if they are preparing something like stirfry - ask if you can get your food out of the pan before they add in the meat.

Also my parenyts were worried I wouldn't be healthy but if you are able to tell them information about vegetable/grains that will replace the same nutrients found in meat - they will feel a lot more convinced and informed.

But as other people on this site have said - any opportunity you take to avoid meat/animal products helps. Eg. eating vegetarian/vegan when out at restaurants. Your parents can't stop you there either.
ReplyQuote

NH NH SA Posts: 9
10 16 Jul 2013
At the end of the day, it really is up to you about your eating choices. You need to talk with your parents about how passionate you are and how a vegetarian diet is much more easier for them, cheaper, more efficient and significantly more healthy. Keep telling them and make it clear that this is something you really want. Make it easy for your parents by suggesting that you'll find recipes that you'll eat, you'll cook or help cook etc. I just told my parents I couldn't eat meat anymore and it was something that I wanted to become a strong value of mine. I said it was an act of kindness and it really was my decision. Hope this helps happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au