Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

trouble going vegan

eating disorder

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

punks not dead... fur is punks not dead... fur is United States Posts: 13
1 23 Jul 2013
im am 14 and vegetarian, wanting to go vegan im totaly devoted to animals and doing anything i can to help them but there is one problem... i have an eating disorder, and therefor i cannot go vegan, im crossing the line by going vegetarian! any suggestions? please help?  furious
ReplyQuote

Cow Hugger Cow Hugger SA Posts: 346
2 23 Jul 2013
If you really want help, probably give some more information, in a situation like this you are being overly generalised, so any help given will be assumed and generalised.
I suffer with ednos, I've been on both ends of the spectrum (restricting, binge eating disorder)
so perhaps i can help you a little because i've been vegan for most of my adult life, veganism is often thought to be restrictive and that is sometimes a tool people with restrictive eating disorders use to not eat in front of others, but in fact.. veganism is the opposite of restrictive, think about how many options there are for meat/dairy/eggs.. there's not many. then think of how many fruits and vegetables there are! endless.
I know many people who have successfully overcome their eating disorders by becoming vegan, vegan food is delicious, healthy and makes you feel wonderful. An eating disorder is 100% mental, so until you overcome that barrier, you won't get anywhere. Seek professional help, look on tumblr for vegans who have successfully overcome their eating disorders with veganism. We are everywhere.

Please tell us more information, you can go vegan.
ReplyQuote

3 23 Jul 2013
thank you so much, i am the only vegetarian in my family, so i guess what i learned from them was that dairy is the only good source of protein out there, thanks so much for taking your time to reply.
ReplyQuote

Cow Hugger Cow Hugger SA Posts: 346
4 23 Jul 2013
That's okay, I know that it's a common societal belief that cows milk is good for you, but in fact the opposite is true. Cows milk has protein, that much is true.. yet the protein in it cannot be used in your body, it makes your body acidic and to counter this acidity (optimal state of humans is alkaline) your body takes calcium phosphate from your bones, used the phosphate to neutralise the acidity and then you pee out the calcium. This happens with meat as well, but not to the same extent, cows milk is made to take a tiny little calf into a big cow.. imagine what that does to your body?
If you need protein and calcium, go for green leafy veggies, lentils and beans! happy
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
5 23 Jul 2013
research research research! Maybe go and see a good naturopath with your family so they can see it's something you're passionate about and it's not just a restricting thing.
ReplyQuote

sophxx sophxx NSW Posts: 169
6 24 Jul 2013
It seems you already know that it is possible to be physically healthy as a vegan, but this is not the only thing that applies right now. Having an eating disorder is a horrible thing, and I know because I've been there - I have recovered from anorexia. I am vegan, and I was allowed to stay vegan during treatment because I was vegan before I got sick.

My treatment team, and all hospitals I have been to, say that if you weren't vegetarian or vegan before your eating disorder then you will remain eating animal products until you are recovered. This is not about physical health - any new food restrictions or rules feed into the voice of your eating disorder, because when you are sick it is the only thing that controls your food.

I'm sorry to sound harsh, but I truly want what is best for you. It would be supporting your eating disorder if I said otherwise.

I don't mean to say that you don't care about animals, because it is obvious that you do. But I agree with the doctors when I say that it would be a bad idea for you right now. However - you could use eventually being vegan as a motivation to get better. In the meantime, you can cut out all cosmetics tested on animals, sign petitions etc. I don't doubt that you want to become vegan for the animals, but - perhaps even subconsciously - it is not the only factor influencing your decision.

I wish you all the best in recovery and beyond and I am always here to talk if you need. happy
ReplyQuote

7 26 Jul 2013
thank you so much! evry one has been such a big help, but to hear from some one whos sufferd through the same thing im going through... well, its just nice to hear that you relly understand. thank you so soo much. that comment made me feel strong strong and to know that some one said it IS possible to recover and go vegan is increadable happy im doing the best i can do- not eating meat and only getting dairy products from positivly humane farms and usinf all vegan cosmetics ect. i do feel im doing my part. and one day ill beable to take the next step and go vegan.

Thanks, Liz love
ReplyQuote

maddie45 maddie45 VIC Posts: 167
8 26 Jul 2013
Hey Liz!

Hugs love I understand what you're going through. Please believe that recovery from an eating disorder is possible, and it is so worth it.

I think most professionals agree that a vegan diet hinders recovery, especially in adolescents or people who were not vegan before the ed. It used to make me so mad sad Then again, i was in a unit with girls claiming to be vegan, gluten intolerant, even Jewish..

I'd also suggest using it as motivation to recover. As important as animal welfare is, your health needs to come first. I made a deal with my parents, that they would let me be vegan when i was weight restored, and i think that worked. Just think - they sooner you're healthy again, the sooner you can get on with a productive, fulfilling life, making a difference for the animals happy

Good luck sweetie, i'm here if you need anything! xx
ReplyQuote

ofsalad ofsalad VIC Posts: 17
9 26 Jul 2013
I've had this problem too, so I know how you feel. I think most of the advice I give you will be unpopular opinion on this board, but I will go ahead anyway.
I've been a vegetarian for my whole life, however went vegan when my eating disorder intensified. With eating disorders, it's very hard to determine motive regarding going vegan/vegetarian. It is very common for people with eating disorders to adopt one of these lifestyles as a method of restricting. One of the most important aspects of recovery from an eating disorder is to EAT. It's hard to make rational decision/work through any underlying issues with a malnourished brain. If you do want to attempt recovery vegan, it's super important you get all of the nutrients you need, including plenty of fats and protein. Your brain needs fats to repair itself!
The restrictive nature of a vegan diet can also take it's toll on obsessive thinking, so I have found that being flexible is handy. I don't eat eggs or dairy on their own (don't really care for them anyway), but I will eat just say a biscuit or piece of cake with dairy and eggs in it if that's all that's available just to challenge myself. The restrictive nature of a vegan diet is very similar to that of an eating disorder (restricting oneself socially, etc) so I've found this flexibility to be a huge help in my recovery.
Parents and therapists can also be very opposed to a vegan diet in an eating disordered person. Try explaining to them why you want to be a vegan. I've also heard of people compromising by eating vegetarian until they're recovered, and then going vegan. That might work for you?
I've chosen to eat a (mostly) vegan diet because of personal morals, not because of my eating disorder. I'm sure your motive is one of compassion also, and that is great! Please just remember to be mindful of your own needs. Your health/mental health must come first! feel free to message me if you need to talk. happy
ReplyQuote

10 27 Jul 2013
your comment really made me smile. thanks so much, you are a very good person
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au