Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

OMG PLEASE READ!!! YAY

1 - 4 of 4 posts

tiedyedtofu tiedyedtofu NSW Posts: 221
1 1 Aug 2013
Omg I got this reply!! I can't believe it. Great Job everyone!!! Now we won't have to fight for live export against climate change. YAY

This is the email i got:
Anastasia

Today is an important day for animal welfare in Australia. Hundreds of thousands of people have called for more accountable and transparent animal welfare standards, and today we’ve won.

Thanks to your voice the Rudd Government is today announcing an Independent Inspector-General of Animal Welfare and Live Animal Exports.

This is a big step forward in protecting animal rights, and animal welfare groups including the RSPCA and WSPA have welcomed the announcement.

This new Inspector General will:

Provide assurance and oversight – similar to an audit function – of the role of Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry as the regulator of live animal exports.
Ensure that the regulator is working within the regulatory framework.
Review the regulator’s compliance and investigations function.

Last time I wrote I promised you I’d keep fighting to ensure that Australian animals are treated more humanely.

I know that there’s still more to be done, but I hope you’ll take a moment to celebrate what you’ve been able to do – your voice has made a real difference.

Steve Georganas
ReplyQuote

Showbags Showbags QLD Posts: 162
2 1 Aug 2013
Not to be the negative Nellie in the room (well maybe I am haha) but this is all probably just lip service.

It's funny how in the article Fitzgibbon only talks about "building community confidence". Which is basically code for "trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes". Nothing about the actual animals and how they are treated, just how the public views this.

You can bet that this "independent" auditor will be approved by the animal agriculture industries and will basically be a puppet for them to show to the community that they are pretending to do the right thing.

Just like the RBA (Reserve Bank) is a puppet for the big banking cartels (but pretends to be a government organisation), this will be the same (pessimistic I know, but I just call it realistic).

And what's worse, even if this is legitimate you can bet that Abbott will scrap the position as soon as he gets into power due to cost cutting and removing of bureaucracy.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
3 1 Aug 2013
Yeah.. likewise I just got an email from animals australia saying the exact opposite. We have to fight harder than ever now as the government want to move on from the subject they've put the "solution" in the hands of the minister for agriculture who has stated instead of actually protecting animals they're going to work on the public and try and change public opinion about it being cruel. In other words... do nothing but brainwashing.
ReplyQuote

Amy Amy VIC Posts: 163
4 1 Aug 2013
Unleashed Admin
Hi guys, Jesse has just posted an awesome blog on this topic. Check it out: http://www.unleashed.org.au/blog/2013-08/We-still-need-an-independent-voice
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au