Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Veg*ns getting fatter

1 - 10 of 16 posts   1 | 2  

Ron Ron NSW Posts: 233
1 30 Dec 2013
Once upon a time vegetarians and vegans were skinny people which was one of the reasons vegetarianism came in for criticism for being unhealthy.

Over the last few years, I've noticed many of my veg*n friends (and myself) have been gaining weight.  After reading the book linked below, I'm convinced it's because of the increasing availability of processed veg*n food.  It's great to have Fry's, Linda McCartney, Quorn, Funky Pies etc but if you look at the ingredients and food values, none of them are very healthy especially if eaten regularly - too much fat, sugar etc.  You can live on Coke, potato crisps and some Oreo cookies and you're still eating a vegan diet!  And it's not just processed food made for veg*ns - look at how many brand name products are vegan-friendly with their ingredients (sauces, mayonnaise etc.) but not health-friendly.

Anyway, here is the book I mentioned above and it makes for interesting reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-Vegan-Favorite-Plant-Based-ebook/dp/B00FD4SDKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388346171&sr=8-1&keywords=better+than+vegan
ReplyQuote

ox.kylie.xo ox.kylie.xo QLD Posts: 861
2 30 Dec 2013
your right..! but I also think that back in the day majority of veg'ns ate raw and if they did cook it would be basic stuff... because their wasn't goodie options available... but now their is sooo many recipes for veg'ns almost just as many as omnivores.. I think soo many people are just over indulging in the now available goodie dishes happy and yes I also agree it would also be due to so many processed foods.
ReplyQuote

3 30 Dec 2013
ox.kylie.xo said:
... and yes I also agree it would also be due to so many processed foods.
I know they've made me lazy - so much easier to cook a Fry's schnitzel and have with a salad than to get out the food processor and hopefully have the necessary ingredients on hand.

Have you tried the Paula McCartney Peri Peri burgers?  They are the best burgers I've ever had not because of the taste but they have a chewy solid texture which is missing in so much veg*n food.  

I've bought the book I mentioned above and I'm really going to have to force myself to stop being lazy and get back healthy home cooking (with the occasional McCartney burger happy ).
ReplyQuote

4 30 Dec 2013
happy no I haven't tried those burgers... My local store doesn't sell them, but very interested. Have you tried the Linda Maccartney country pies... They are really good except I stopped eating them because I think they look to much like meat pies and people also told me they taste sort of like meat which is disturbing sad
ReplyQuote

IronTheremin666 IronTheremin666 VIC Posts: 63
5 30 Dec 2013
I personally don't believe in body shaming, and I've always felt that being a bit hefty but eating well was better than being slim and eating terribly so eh I'm not really bothered by it.
Like you can be overweight and still eat healthy food and it's always okay to have a little bit of a splurge
I have friends who are thin and they eat McDonalads almost every day, and friends who are fat who eat veggie stirfries and salad so it's fascinating how body shape doesn't always indicate health.

Where do you get the peri peri burgers from? o:

I think some of the funky pies are okay in moderation like obviously the chik'n cheezy one is definitely a special occasion thing haha but yeah
homemade pies are still great ecstatic
ReplyQuote

6 30 Dec 2013
IronTheremin666 said:
Where do you get the peri peri burgers from? o:
I buy them in Woolworths.  I have seen any Coles store stocking Linda McCartney products.

http://www.lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/ourfood/periperiburger/
ReplyQuote

cassie2 cassie2 VIC Posts: 212
7 30 Dec 2013
I agree that vegans can get fatter but I believe it can be the same as any diet. I try to eat healthy but I admit nothing like lord of the fries and a piece of vegan chocolate cherry cake from flinders lane. Long gone are the days we lived on just salads. Coconut milk is also my weakness. Coyo especially
ReplyQuote

IronTheremin666 IronTheremin666 VIC Posts: 63
8 31 Dec 2013
oh the peri peri burgers have egg D:
ah ill stick to homemade veggie burgers for now then
ReplyQuote

honk honk NSW Posts: 118
9 1 Jan 2014
Good for us. Welcome to the community, fat vegans. Your efforts to end the exploitation of other species are valuable to the world, unlike arbitrary definitions of health or desirability.
ReplyQuote

10 1 Jan 2014
Me too... That sucks sad
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au