Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegan Shopping in the Central Coast!

1 - 10 of 13 posts   1 | 2  

NewlyPseudoVegan NewlyPseudoVegan NSW Posts: 3
1 28 Jan 2014
Hey happy

I am newly Vegan! I've been dairy-free for a few months now and seriously starting to get cheese cravings! I do not want to eat cheese because I do not agree with the treatment of cows in Australia; no animal should be exploited just for human consumption!

I live on the Central Coast and I'm having trouble finding stores that stock vegan cheeses. There seem to be quite a few brands online but I cant locate stockists!

Does anyone know of any sneaky shops on the central coast that stock vegan cheeses? I have found a Coles that sells vegan cream cheese, but I'm looking more for a faux-hard cheese for melting, cheese sauces, toasties, etc.

Any advice would be amazing!! happy
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
2 28 Jan 2014
I just found this awesome list:

http://www.endcruelty.com/howvegan/groceries

kinds of like Accidentally Vegan:

http://www.peta.org/living/food/accidentally-vegan/

Also you might not know of this one if you're new to the hunt for Vegan chow happy

http://www.barnivore.com/

Also, vegan cheese can often just taste like flour... but Toffuti does make some nice things, there Cream Cheese is pretty rich. I mean, they are American?

Also on that point... it is kind of to each vegans discretion, whether they eat products from America... as America does use Bone-Char in their filtration process. So Sugar in many 'Vegan' products (by ingredients list, not by dedicated companies)...is a risk.

Also fish is used in Isinglass filters. Some products are refined that way.
Basically... they say "no animal derivatives are in the end product"...

The Filter gathers impurities, such as bone char soaking in all of the impurities from sugar. But then again... people chew on raw sugar cain and don't die... so it is just an obsessive thing.

You know... everything has to be bleeched... even if animals die in the process of polishing the companies image.

~ P ~ good luck, hope those lists help you shop easier  ^___^
ReplyQuote

3 28 Jan 2014
Thankyou for the accidentally vegan lists!

My major problem is actually locating physical stores that stock these products! I have been looking for Tofutti everywhere! If you know any vegans living on The Central Coast, NSW, please point them in my direction! I don't know any vegans personally.
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
4 29 Jan 2014
NewlyPseudoVegan said:
Thankyou for the accidentally vegan lists!

My major problem is actually locating physical stores that stock these products! I have been looking for Tofutti everywhere! If you know any vegans living on The Central Coast, NSW, please point them in my direction! I don't know any vegans personally.
The items on both of those lists are every day, commercially bought products.

That is why they are 'Accidentally Vegan' and not actually... "Vegan", "Organic", "Exotic".

Most supermarkets have an organic/health food section nowdays anyway.

Also... there are many Vegan Online Grocery stores that deliver Aus Wide.
ReplyQuote

ox.kylie.xo ox.kylie.xo QLD Posts: 861
5 29 Jan 2014
The 'cheezly' tube of motzarella flavour is good you can get it and many other varieties including toffuti from www.greenedgeonline.com.au (they deliver Australia wide) and are organic/vegan/cruelty-free/eco friendly not to mention awesome, they have a great range of vegan cheese among other things such as ice creams, chocolates, and your everyday staples but they are located here in Brisbane... or try the Vegan Online they are awesome too www.veganonline.com.au or www.crueltyfreeshop.com.au

Also, when you refer to NSW coast are you meaning Bondi? any ways search on here, they list awesome vegan shops and restaurants  http://www.happycow.net/australia/new_south_wales/

Also I just came across this, there are heaps of people recommending stores http://www.unleashed.org.au/community/forum/topic.php?t=7799

hope this helps happy
ReplyQuote

6 29 Jan 2014
Thankyou for all your replies! I should have been more specific in my location - "the Central Coast" is the region between Newcastle and Sydney NSW, it contains suburbs like Gosford, Terigal, Erina, Tuggerah, etc.

I've found heaps of online stores! However I have some problems with accepting refrigerated deliveries.

I discovered "Cheezly" in Organic Plus Warehouse in Erina, The Central Coast today so I am very happy!!!  clap
ReplyQuote

7 29 Jan 2014
NewlyPseudoVegan said:
Thankyou for all your replies! I should have been more specific in my location - "the Central Coast" is the region between Newcastle and Sydney NSW, it contains suburbs like Gosford, Terigal, Erina, Tuggerah, etc.

I've found heaps of online stores! However I have some problems with accepting refrigerated deliveries.

I discovered "Cheezly" in Organic Plus Warehouse in Erina, The Central Coast today so I am very happy!!!  clap
Oh good to hear, Cheezly is awesome... And meltable; great for pizza! happy
ReplyQuote

deanna deanna NSW Posts: 1
8 9 Mar 2014
Hi - I am on the Coast too.  Near Tuggerah - been dairy free since September and also have your problem in finding vegan ingredients.  There is a whole foods supermarket at Erina on the Central Coast Highway next door to Coastal Tiles.  Have you tried it?
ReplyQuote

Julie16 Julie16 NSW Posts: 1
9 8 Apr 2014
Fill and Carry fruit shop at Kanwal have vegan cheese. It's called cheezly , it's ok but not too good for melting. I crave for cheese as well and I'm still looking for a decent cheese in my area, I live on The a Central Coast as well. Also Woolies sell Soy Cheese,but again, not good for melting.
ReplyQuote

10 9 Apr 2014
http://www.godairyfree.org/recipes/meltable-mozzarella-vegan-cheese-alternative

This I haven't personally tried but apparently is it quite good... They also have heaps of other receipies that are inspired by the artisan book

They also have great cashew cheese spread recipies happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au