Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Religon and veganism

1 - 10 of 64 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  


Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
1 10 Feb 2014
Why exactly are some religions against plant based diets? Thats really all i have to ask...had my hands full with arguing against bigots recently.
ReplyQuote

Ron Ron NSW Posts: 233
2 10 Feb 2014
I think they rely, some to salve their consciences, others because they believe it implicitly, on this passage from the Old Testament:

http://biblehub.com/genesis/1-26.htm
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
3 11 Feb 2014
but doesn't it say in one those the books from that same religion that animals are only to be eaten during droughts.. or times of crisis/most necessity?
ReplyQuote

ox.kylie.xo ox.kylie.xo QLD Posts: 861
4 11 Feb 2014
I have actually come across a problem when advocating a vegan lifestyle, and well some Christians have actually said to me that they will not ever change over due to the bible saying that it is ok... they say that it clearly states that he  'god' only created animals to be eaten by humans. As well as what type of higher being would ask for living sacrifices... isn't that along the lines of the devil (witchcraft ceremonies ect)

The only reply I can come back with is, "well god is meant to be a human that is just way more evolved then us so with that being said... he has said it is ok, though does that make it ok? Just because an older or supposedly wiser person has said so"?

Does anyone actually have a really good constructive argument point, if so please share?

I am not one to say 'god' doesn't exist, because I actually believe he does... though I do not worship him in anyway as I do not agree with his ethics... because if he created living beings only to be alive for a short period even when he has the ability to live infinitely then doesn't that just seem cruel (not to mention the previous stated reason) as well as what does he eat... if he has evolved to a level were eating is not necessary then wouldn't he also have the power to allow others to not have to eat too; subsequently saving trillions of animals, but instead would rather give permission for people to eat them.  He apparently tested Eve with the apple of knowledge and tricked her with the serpent/snake but she was only days old not to mention that why punish the whole of mankind for the actions of one... not to mention he sacrificed Jesus (an innocent) for the sake of the guilty; why wouldn't you just punish the guilty instead.. its like if someone commits murder would you send an innocent to jail? (same thing but the Jesus killing was worse)

None of it makes any sense morally and/or logically... so I would like to hear a constructive argument from someone that does agree with 'gods' ethics just out of curiosity really as this seems to be quite a problem with advocating for veganism?
ReplyQuote

The Lifestylist The Lifestylist NSW Posts: 1
5 12 Feb 2014
Ok, so this is a massive point you present, i can straight away tell you i cannot do it justice but i will try.

You need to go to the start of the story to get the full picture. God is love, and love is God therefore everything that comes from God can only be out of love. This is the basic Christian belief. Next, God always existed..God is The creator...The father...this is how we humans with our human brains can understand him. God created the angels, satan was an archangel. The top angel. He thought he could be God and in doing that, created darkness. Because he fell/tore apart/chose the opposite from God (who is love). Now satan wanted to be God and thinks he is God in his ignorance and pride. He goes on now through all history believing that and deceiving the whole world. The first deception however, and key point, was in the garden of eden when man disobeyed God, ate the apple and fell from God's grace (Man lived in 'heaven' in unity with God and one another in God) as a result of man eating the forbidden apple. So mans now been wandering around the earth since then screwing it up every which way. God's still there, he's always had a path in place for us to get back to him. Only some really try and are chosen.
       Now the path we have now (as apposed to old testament), is God coming among us in human form, in Jesus Christ to show us the way. 'For God so loved man that he sent his only Son to die for our sins'. You need to think about it like this...God is love, only love, he created us with free will...if he didn't then he wouldn't be perfect love because he would be forcing us to love him. We chose our fate back then, and everyday we re-choose our fate again, because he will take us back when ever we truly want to go back. (this means choosing absolute love and goodness in the name of Absolute Goodness, 'The Father The Son and The Holy Spirit', God.

So Jesus is God, thats why he was sacrificed. It was God's sacrifice for man. For man's sin. We don't walk through this world having no consequence on it. Sin is real, it separates us from God. That separation is the pain and fear we feel that tortures us, that we constantly try to run away from and mask with other things. Thats the darkness were living in that we feel.

There are people that God has gifted with many things. The ability to not eat food, not sleep, heal and all sorts of other gifts in the spiritual realm. These people can be found in the Orthodox Christian faith. This is the church of Jesus Christ, meaning it started at 33 A.D when Jesus resurrected after being sacrificed. The Catholic church split from the Orthodox in 1054AD. In 1517AD started the protestant reformation, which split from Catholicism (all these other little churches and cults claiming Jesus as there Saviour stem from Protestantism). This is where the watered down flimsy 'evolved being' kind of shallow rooted stuff has been able to grow.

I'm talking a little bit of history so that you understand there is a clear cut path to God. Its your choice to seek it out and learn from it or not. Just like all truth, you won't read about it, or see it in the paper or have Julia Roberts find it in India watching one of your favourite movies.  Your free will. This time we have now, in our lives, is to make choices. These choices shape our soul, whether thats a soul of light or darkness. We have God available to us while we live here, but that means changing who we are, to be ultimate goodness as God is.

Anyhow, the sacrifice stuff was on our level back then. We don't need to worry about that until we have an understanding of the new testament.

Let me know anything and everything i missed happy  x
ReplyQuote

alanaclaire alanaclaire VIC Posts: 16
6 12 Feb 2014
Ron said:
I think they rely, some to salve their consciences, others because they believe it implicitly, on this passage from the Old Testament:

http://biblehub.com/genesis/1-26.htm
I kinda wish God had just left this bit out !
ReplyQuote

maddie45 maddie45 VIC Posts: 167
7 12 Feb 2014
The Lifestylist said:
Ok, so this is a massive point you present, i can straight away tell you i cannot do it justice but i will try.

You need to go to the start of the story to get the full picture. God is love, and love is God therefore everything that comes from God can only be out of love. This is the basic Christian belief. Next, God always existed..God is The creator...The father...this is how we humans with our human brains can understand him. God created the angels, satan was an archangel. The top angel. He thought he could be God and in doing that, created darkness. Because he fell/tore apart/chose the opposite from God (who is love). Now satan wanted to be God and thinks he is God in his ignorance and pride. He goes on now through all history believing that and deceiving the whole world. The first deception however, and key point, was in the garden of eden when man disobeyed God, ate the apple and fell from God's grace (Man lived in 'heaven' in unity with God and one another in God) as a result of man eating the forbidden apple. So mans now been wandering around the earth since then screwing it up every which way. God's still there, he's always had a path in place for us to get back to him. Only some really try and are chosen.
       Now the path we have now (as apposed to old testament), is God coming among us in human form, in Jesus Christ to show us the way. 'For God so loved man that he sent his only Son to die for our sins'. You need to think about it like this...God is love, only love, he created us with free will...if he didn't then he wouldn't be perfect love because he would be forcing us to love him. We chose our fate back then, and everyday we re-choose our fate again, because he will take us back when ever we truly want to go back. (this means choosing absolute love and goodness in the name of Absolute Goodness, 'The Father The Son and The Holy Spirit', God.

So Jesus is God, thats why he was sacrificed. It was God's sacrifice for man. For man's sin. We don't walk through this world having no consequence on it. Sin is real, it separates us from God. That separation is the pain and fear we feel that tortures us, that we constantly try to run away from and mask with other things. Thats the darkness were living in that we feel.

There are people that God has gifted with many things. The ability to not eat food, not sleep, heal and all sorts of other gifts in the spiritual realm. These people can be found in the Orthodox Christian faith. This is the church of Jesus Christ, meaning it started at 33 A.D when Jesus resurrected after being sacrificed. The Catholic church split from the Orthodox in 1054AD. In 1517AD started the protestant reformation, which split from Catholicism (all these other little churches and cults claiming Jesus as there Saviour stem from Protestantism). This is where the watered down flimsy 'evolved being' kind of shallow rooted stuff has been able to grow.

I'm talking a little bit of history so that you understand there is a clear cut path to God. Its your choice to seek it out and learn from it or not. Just like all truth, you won't read about it, or see it in the paper or have Julia Roberts find it in India watching one of your favourite movies.  Your free will. This time we have now, in our lives, is to make choices. These choices shape our soul, whether thats a soul of light or darkness. We have God available to us while we live here, but that means changing who we are, to be ultimate goodness as God is.

Anyhow, the sacrifice stuff was on our level back then. We don't need to worry about that until we have an understanding of the new testament.

Let me know anything and everything i missed happy  x
This is all well and good.. but totally irrelevant to the question at hand!
ReplyQuote

Velouria Velouria VIC Posts: 107
8 12 Feb 2014
Kelsey1 said:
Why exactly are some religions against plant based diets? Thats really all i have to ask...had my hands full with arguing against bigots recently.
Does it matter?  I guess this would matter if you are religious.  What gives a person who follows a certain religion an entitlement to say what is right and wrong?  You, yourself have a mind and need not to be told what to think or eat, etc.

Evolution is where it's at in my opinion, the evidence is overwhelming.  peace
ReplyQuote

JayT JayT VIC Posts: 525
9 12 Feb 2014
I think someone's religon and Veganism should be left separate.

There are some, like Buddhism, that go by a Vegetarian lifestyle, but they still, mostly, consume dairy.

To go on the topic of Christians, not to offend anyone that is Christian, I have Christian friends, but the Bible is a flaud book.
Here's a quote from it: Genesis 1:29-30 - And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.

But the Bible constantly contradicts itself the entire way through, it shouldn't be used to live ones life through.
ReplyQuote

sophxx sophxx NSW Posts: 169
10 13 Feb 2014
I know that Christianity doesn't specify for or against vegetarianism. There are Christians who believe god made animals for meat and in fact a society for vegetarian Christians.

I don't know of any religion that excludes someone on the basis of veganism. It may be difficult in celebrations/rituals, but it can be done.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au