Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegan and vegetarians

21 - 30 of 34 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  


Lancastrian Lancastrian VIC Posts: 310
21 7 Dec 2009
My opinion:


I'm glad the activists I used to know in my 20's didn't criticise me for not being vegan. I was vegetarian, and didn't have the nutritional knowledge or cooking skills to go vegan.

But I'm also glad someone finally told me to go vegan two years ago.

I guess the optimum is educate but not condemn. And if someone is young and doing their best, leave them alone and don't hastle them.
ReplyQuote

arnie viv arnie viv VIC Posts: 58
22 26 Dec 2009
i agree with Roy, if a person is doing some good its best to compliment them for the good, i think it encourages them to keep going. if i got 95% for a test id be very happy but it seems that if a person is 95% vegan they can be criticised for it. but if everyone was 95% vegan that would be great
ReplyQuote

Ancksu Ancksu SA Posts: 190
23 27 Dec 2009
There's only one thing i've never been able to understand...
It's when you or someone says they're getting crap from their friends and/or family.
What exactly do they say that's so unwelcome?
Or do, in that matter?
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
24 27 Dec 2009
Squid said:
There's only one thing i've never been able to understand...
It's when you or someone says they're getting crap from their friends and/or family.
What exactly do they say that's so unwelcome?
Or do, in that matter?
Not being supportive is probably the major one for me. And getting teased about eating tofu or soy and other "weird" stuff. It's not a one off comment, but it's constant. I think that's what gets most of us down.
ReplyQuote

Ancksu Ancksu SA Posts: 190
25 29 Dec 2009
ckimana said:
Squid said:
There's only one thing i've never been able to understand...
It's when you or someone says they're getting crap from their friends and/or family.
What exactly do they say that's so unwelcome?
Or do, in that matter?
Not being supportive is probably the major one for me. And getting teased about eating tofu or soy and other "weird" stuff. It's not a one off comment, but it's constant. I think that's what gets most of us down.
But how does it get you down, is what I can't understand.
This is your choice- yes- this is your life.
This decision is not hurting anyone (unless you attack them with a protest sign or something then it's a completely different story).
But if you're strong about it, 'they' shouldn't be able to touch you...
(I'm just trying to understand the thought behind the thinking...)
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
26 29 Dec 2009
Squid said:
ckimana said:
Squid said:
There's only one thing i've never been able to understand...
It's when you or someone says they're getting crap from their friends and/or family.
What exactly do they say that's so unwelcome?
Or do, in that matter?
Not being supportive is probably the major one for me. And getting teased about eating tofu or soy and other "weird" stuff. It's not a one off comment, but it's constant. I think that's what gets most of us down.
But how does it get you down, is what I can't understand.
This is your choice- yes- this is your life.
This decision is not hurting anyone (unless you attack them with a protest sign or something then it's a completely different story).
But if you're strong about it, 'they' shouldn't be able to touch you...
(I'm just trying to understand the thought behind the thinking...)
In an ideal world Squid! Lol!

I think w me is that I mind my own business. I eat vegan food quietly w friends and if they are eating meat in front of me I don't say "ew gross" or "what do you think you are doing!", nor do I give them a lecture for eating meat etc. I respect that it's their choice.

What offends me is when omni's bring up the whole vego debate (or arguement) intentionally as a laugh or whatnot.  It's not nice to hear "you're stupid", "that's weird", "why would you do that" etc. Constant negativity w/o any positive outcome. I don't mind chatting to ppl who are genuinely interested (even if they don't agree).

However, having said that I think forums like this are great methods of educating ppl who already have a genuine interest in animal welfare.
ReplyQuote

Ancksu Ancksu SA Posts: 190
27 1 Jan 2010
ckimana said:
Squid said:
ckimana said:
Squid said:
There's only one thing i've never been able to understand...
It's when you or someone says they're getting crap from their friends and/or family.
What exactly do they say that's so unwelcome?
Or do, in that matter?
Not being supportive is probably the major one for me. And getting teased about eating tofu or soy and other "weird" stuff. It's not a one off comment, but it's constant. I think that's what gets most of us down.
But how does it get you down, is what I can't understand.
This is your choice- yes- this is your life.
This decision is not hurting anyone (unless you attack them with a protest sign or something then it's a completely different story).
But if you're strong about it, 'they' shouldn't be able to touch you...
(I'm just trying to understand the thought behind the thinking...)
In an ideal world Squid! Lol!

I think w me is that I mind my own business. I eat vegan food quietly w friends and if they are eating meat in front of me I don't say "ew gross" or "what do you think you are doing!", nor do I give them a lecture for eating meat etc. I respect that it's their choice.

What offends me is when omni's bring up the whole vego debate (or arguement) intentionally as a laugh or whatnot.  It's not nice to hear "you're stupid", "that's weird", "why would you do that" etc. Constant negativity w/o any positive outcome. I don't mind chatting to ppl who are genuinely interested (even if they don't agree).

However, having said that I think forums like this are great methods of educating ppl who already have a genuine interest in animal welfare.
Cheers. That's pretty much the answer I was aiming for. peace
ReplyQuote

Alyssa Alyssa VIC Posts: 296
28 1 Jan 2010
Squid said:
ckimana said:
Squid said:
ckimana said:
Squid said:
There's only one thing i've never been able to understand...
It's when you or someone says they're getting crap from their friends and/or family.
What exactly do they say that's so unwelcome?
Or do, in that matter?
Not being supportive is probably the major one for me. And getting teased about eating tofu or soy and other "weird" stuff. It's not a one off comment, but it's constant. I think that's what gets most of us down.
But how does it get you down, is what I can't understand.
This is your choice- yes- this is your life.
This decision is not hurting anyone (unless you attack them with a protest sign or something then it's a completely different story).
But if you're strong about it, 'they' shouldn't be able to touch you...
(I'm just trying to understand the thought behind the thinking...)
In an ideal world Squid! Lol!

I think w me is that I mind my own business. I eat vegan food quietly w friends and if they are eating meat in front of me I don't say "ew gross" or "what do you think you are doing!", nor do I give them a lecture for eating meat etc. I respect that it's their choice.

What offends me is when omni's bring up the whole vego debate (or arguement) intentionally as a laugh or whatnot.  It's not nice to hear "you're stupid", "that's weird", "why would you do that" etc. Constant negativity w/o any positive outcome. I don't mind chatting to ppl who are genuinely interested (even if they don't agree).

However, having said that I think forums like this are great methods of educating ppl who already have a genuine interest in animal welfare.
Cheers. That's pretty much the answer I was aiming for. peace
I also get a few people feeling the need to bring up stories of animal cruelty and then laughing in my face about it. That one really hurts and makes me so angry!
ReplyQuote

Cj Cj NSW Posts: 378
29 1 Jan 2010
Alyssa said:
I also get a few people feeling the need to bring up stories of animal cruelty and then laughing in my face about it. That one really hurts and makes me so angry!
That happens to me all the time. My "friends" even laugh about my vegetarianism and how i protest against animal cruelty! And its hurtful. Some of them will just NEVER hear me out.
ReplyQuote

Alyssa Alyssa VIC Posts: 296
30 1 Jan 2010
Cj said:
Alyssa said:
I also get a few people feeling the need to bring up stories of animal cruelty and then laughing in my face about it. That one really hurts and makes me so angry!
That happens to me all the time. My "friends" even laugh about my vegetarianism and how i protest against animal cruelty! And its hurtful. Some of them will just NEVER hear me out.
I know how you feel. When people won't even hear my reasoning or take into account my feelings it is so frustrating!  I try and remember that people do hurtful things for a lot of reasons and I know some people really regret being so horrible, but it still really gets to me. Human nature and our first instincts are just so cruel.
I guess our "friends" aren't really that. I mean, I have some friends who disagree with me, but they would never laugh at animal cruelty or mock me like some people I know do. I really do not see how anyone can find animal cruelty funny, especially when so many of these people have pets who they absolutely adore and would hate for something cruel to happen to. One "friend" told me a story about this horrible cruelty towards sheep and continually laughed while I sat there horrified. sad
ReplyQuote

 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au