Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Dealing with rude non-vegos?

Had an awful experience at a friend's party the other night...

1 - 9 of 9 posts

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
1 11 May 2014
On Friday night I went to one of my friend's birthday parties, and a guy from school who I don't really know/talk to was there, but he knew that I was Vegan.

As the night progressed, my friend ordered pizza and while I was talking to another girl, this guy comes up behind me with a slice of cheese pizza and tries to put it in my mouth while yelling "CHEEEESE!"

Thankfully I didn't ingest any but my mouth was open at the time because I was talking so it did touch my lips and one of my teeth.

I really just felt like crying and going home, honestly. I don't understand how someone could be so blatantly disrespectful and rude about someone's personal beliefs/lifestyles. It's not as if I go around shoving broccoli in people's mouths - why is it seen as acceptable, even funny, for them to do it to me?

I just feel awful about the whole thing. I've been Vegan sine I was 13 and it is a really important part of my life...I know it's probably stupid but I just feel awful that I had cheese pizza touch my lips...and angry that someone I don't even know was so rude like that.

How do you deal with people like that? How do you feel better about things that have happened/interactions with people who are insensitive and disrespectful towards your beliefs?
ReplyQuote

ox.kylie.xo ox.kylie.xo QLD Posts: 861
2 11 May 2014
Don't beat your self up it wasn't your fault; I know its hard I even find it extremely offensive when people sit next to me and eat their flesh meals, but the worst thing with these people is that if you amp up and tell him where to go they make you out to be self righteous and an extremist... I personally would not put up with it though, that is blatant disrespect not to mention he knew that would be a form of torture for you and he was wanting a reaction. It is actually illegal for people to do that it is a form of abuse... but the police would just think your an idiot for even making a charge against him; they wouldn't take it seriously.

Anyways I would suggest you avoid people like that, next time you attend a party advise your friends not to invite such a rude individual.
ReplyQuote

sinkronicity sinkronicity VIC Posts: 9
3 12 May 2014
obviously just an ignorant little moron, looking for the attention of his peers. I am very new to veganism (not vegetarianism) but i can understand how you felt especially if he was able to gratify his repulsive behavior with some petty laughter.
take courage in the fact that you know his revolting diet will more than likely cause him more harm than he has done you.
At the moment i feel as though some of my mothers dairy in the fridge is making my food tainted!!!
i am finding it quite difficult to make the transition as i cook for my family and finding substitutes that they like is trying my patience, as is my mothers resistance to clean food!

there is a video on youtube called } sh*t meat eaters say (parts 1,2,3) that if you haven't seen should give you a giggle!
ReplyQuote

GlamourBoy GlamourBoy Antarctica Posts: 10
4 13 May 2014
I have no idea.
The rudest person about it is my brother.

The last comment he made about it when we were trying to get this vegan cake out of a box, he was all like "It's powered by self-righteousness."
Then went on as usual about how he was "kidding".

One of these days he's going to have to contend with the fact that out of all of us, he is the most self-righteous person I've ever met, and that's ignoring the fact where he believes his tastebuds are more important than any animal's rights.
ReplyQuote

AC AZZA AC AZZA VIC Posts: 158
5 13 May 2014
Mean people wear fur said:
On Friday night I went to one of my friend's birthday parties, and a guy from school who I don't really know/talk to was there, but he knew that I was Vegan.

As the night progressed, my friend ordered pizza and while I was talking to another girl, this guy comes up behind me with a slice of cheese pizza and tries to put it in my mouth while yelling "CHEEEESE!"

Thankfully I didn't ingest any but my mouth was open at the time because I was talking so it did touch my lips and one of my teeth.

I really just felt like crying and going home, honestly. I don't understand how someone could be so blatantly disrespectful and rude about someone's personal beliefs/lifestyles. It's not as if I go around shoving broccoli in people's mouths - why is it seen as acceptable, even funny, for them to do it to me?

I just feel awful about the whole thing. I've been Vegan sine I was 13 and it is a really important part of my life...I know it's probably stupid but I just feel awful that I had cheese pizza touch my lips...and angry that someone I don't even know was so rude like that.

How do you deal with people like that? How do you feel better about things that have happened/interactions with people who are insensitive and disrespectful towards your beliefs?
He is looking for a reaction.

I'm not sure how is the best way to react to it being a girl it's different to how I react.

I normally ignore them, turn to the person I'm next to and say something like, I love the maturity & intelligence of some people at this party. Normally derails them.

Most times I will just say cool bro if they tease me and ignore them completely.

Thats how I would play it, but your predicament was a downright disgusting.

I wouldn't suggest it, but I presume his a teenager, he most likely doesn't have the most self confidence, scream at him or something about thats why you will never have a boyfriend. It will humilate him completely and derail him but it could make you look a bit hysterical.
Up to you how you play it.

*EDIT* No one want's to be known as someone who picks on "disability ppl " so I normally sell I don't eat meat for health reasons when I'm with a rougher crowd.
ReplyQuote

Spooples Spooples NSW Posts: 6
6 13 May 2014
I'm sorry that happened to you  sad that sucks.

TBH no one has been rude to me about it in a really long time, and I think that's because when people have been rude about it in the past I have just been really upfront and told them very sternly that it's not a joke - although that might not work on someone like the guy who did that to you because he sounds extremely immature.

Maybe just buy a really outrageous shirt with a huge vegan slogan and wear it next time he'll be around to show him that his petty antics have no impact on your conviction.
ReplyQuote

Ronnie Ronnie QLD Posts: 205
7 14 May 2014
I have some attitude most of the time.  I don't get upset with morons shoving their omnivore tendencies in my face.  

My usual line is:  "B**ch please.  Vegan  means I'm cooler than you."  And I ALWAYS say it like I mean it, because sometimes bullies need to be put in their place.  

No one messes with me and my veganism beliefs.  They're turning around to support them ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Sarahhgreen_ Sarahhgreen_ VIC Posts: 5
8 19 May 2014
Well i'm 13 and a vegetarian. There is a couple guys in class and they are really rude, there is this one guy he would always find an opputunity to ask the teacher if meat is good for you and he waits for a reaction off me too. He is always saying im going to die and stuff and we are healthier but he is so irritating. OH HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM>
ReplyQuote

Chicken Legs Chicken Legs VIC Posts: 72
9 19 May 2014
Just freeze a block of tofu, carry it with you in a little cooler bag... Then when the time is right.... THROW IT AT SOMEONE. Tofu powerrrrr!
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au