Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Mock Meats - psychologically / emotional distrubing?

Question?

1 - 10 of 34 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

ox.kylie.xo ox.kylie.xo QLD Posts: 861
1 24 May 2014
I mean not to pass judgment but only to understand the logic behind the choices of your consumption of such products referred to as 'mock meats'

I don't understand how psychologically anyone would want to eat something that is designed to taste like the exact thing they stand against... like when you eat it wouldn't it be in your mind that this taste like flesh off a living being... gross and morally / emotionally disturbing, right?...

While many have debated that it is not the taste side of it that they don't like but rather the animals death and some even say its the process leading to their death that is wrong and that they are ok with it so long as it is 'humanely' done (No such thing).

But no one can explain why they would like eating something that is inspired by meat itself, if they are against it so strongly wouldn't psychologically it emotionally mess you up inside... similar to that of seeing a animals carcass or crime scene.

As I have explained before, I know that alot of you have different reasons for your lifestyle choices but would they all be strongly against the taste of something they are morally against.

Like at least it isn't meat itself but i just don't get it?
ReplyQuote

maddie45 maddie45 VIC Posts: 167
2 24 May 2014
To be honest the fact that its made to resemble meat grosses me out a little too!

But if other people like it, good for them! I suppose most vegans can see mock meat its NOT a dead animal, and therefore fitting with an ethical lifestyle?  I don't find it that hard to understand..
ReplyQuote

Mercedes Mercedes VIC Posts: 15
3 24 May 2014
I generally don't like/ don't eat mock meats because they are so heavily processesed and seem to be full of crappy ingredients. For me it is a choice I make purely for health reasons! When I became vegan, it opened up a whole new world of delicious, fresh, healthy foods to eat! happy
ReplyQuote

4 24 May 2014
maddie45 said:
To be honest the fact that its made to resemble meat grosses me out a little too!

But if other people like it, good for them! I suppose most vegans can see mock meat its NOT a dead animal, and therefore fitting with an ethical lifestyle?  I don't find it that hard to understand...
Thank you for sharing your views Maddie45 - always a pleasure happy

Yes I said that too - at least its not meat happy

I'm sorry if I have offended you in anyway, the analogy was use purely in the context of a horrid memory of something bad (aka flashback psychologies) which such hypotheticals and analogies are commonly use in law ect... My question was wasn't comparing the two merely making an example of other ways people have experience flashback issues so they could understand my question is of how the psychology / emotional responses to eating a product designed to taste like something that they are strongly against and are emotionally tied.. also may I point out that my examples of comparisons i clearly only used the example of seeing a dead animal or a crime scene and how such things affect them. Please ensure you read what is actually written to avoid misunderstandings - I take great pleasure in ensuring people have no way to twist my words around whether it be deliberately or mistakenly due to our prior encounters. peace

I'm not sure if you recall that on many occasions with our prior run in's with each other, I have already expressed to you that I stopped eating meat the moment I found out what it was... I'm sorry you have taken my analogy incorrectly... but by your strategically placed sentences and round about way of expression you clearly remember me, thus I instantaneous reply back without reading what was actually written.

Also I recall you have previously expressed that you eat - mock meat schnitzel and gluten steaks, am I mistaken? Or are you just not wishing to share your mental reactions to the eating of a product which taste the same as the real thing... which don't get me wrong - i respect that you may not wish to share your full opinion and thats your choice but may i ask why the stance against it, claiming you too find it disgusting, if you - yourself consume these products too?
ReplyQuote

5 24 May 2014
Mercedes said:
I generally don't like/ don't eat mock meats because they are so heavily processesed and seem to be full of crappy ingredients. For me it is a choice I make purely for health reasons! When I became vegan, it opened up a whole new world of delicious, fresh, healthy foods to eat! happy
Thanks for your reply happy I notice that you are fairly new to the forum so welcome!

I actually forgot that side of it... preservatives, thanks for pointing out that too. So if they were not processed would you consume a product that is designed to taste like meat, and what are your thoughts on this would you be emotionally disturbed - or does the 'purely for health reason' explain that you wouldn't have an emotional reaction to it?

Added: I suppose to have an emotional reaction it would simply only be when having such a moral stance against it, so by that, this explains why you probably wouldn't have an emotional reaction to these products.
ReplyQuote

maddie45 maddie45 VIC Posts: 167
6 24 May 2014
ox.kylie.xo said:
maddie45 said:

But if other people like it, good for them! I suppose most vegans can see mock meat its NOT a dead animal, and therefore fitting with an ethical lifestyle?  I don't find it that hard to understand...
Thank you for sharing your views Maddie45 - always a pleasure happy

Yes I said that too - at least its not meat happy

I'm sorry if I have offended you in anyway, the analogy was use purely in the context of a horrid memory of something bad (aka flashback psychologies) which such hypotheticals and analogies are commonly use in law ect... My question was wasn't comparing the two merely making an example of other ways people have experience flashback issues so they could understand my question is of how the psychology / emotional responses to eating a product designed to taste like something that they are strongly against and are emotionally tied.. also may I point out that my examples of comparisons i clearly only used the example of seeing a dead animal or a crime scene and how such things affect them. Please ensure you read what is actually written to avoid misunderstandings - I take great pleasure in ensuring people have no way to twist my words around whether it be deliberately or mistakenly due to our prior encounters. peace

I'm not sure if you recall that on many occasions with our prior run in's with each other, I have already expressed to you that I stopped eating meat the moment I found out what it was... I'm sorry you have taken my analogy incorrectly... but by your strategically placed sentences and round about way of expression you clearly remember me, thus I instantaneous reply back without reading what was actually written.

Also I recall you have previously expressed that you eat - mock meat schnitzel and gluten steaks, am I mistaken? Or are you just not wishing to share your mental reactions to the eating of a product which taste the same as the real thing... which don't get me wrong - i respect that you may not wish to share your full opinion and thats your choice but may i ask why the stance against it, claiming you too find it disgusting, if you - yourself consume these products too?
I've tried mock meats a couple times, not a fan really. Like the concept is weird, but its certainly not disturbing enough to "emotionally mess me up inside"!
ReplyQuote

sprout sprout SA Posts: 69
7 24 May 2014
I don't take issue with mock meats, I mean I see the point that there would be a lot of vegans who cut it out not because of the taste but because of the ethics. I was never big on the taste of meat - for instance I never ate a lot of red meat anyway, but I did like (past tense) the taste of chicken, etc. So veganism wasn't because I couldn't stand the taste or anything. Even in that respect I think it's amazing that so many people make the choice regardless of their taste buds!

And imo, I've never actually tasted a mock meat that tastes like meat? Or even looks like it. It's obvious in both texture and taste that they're soy based or whatever else. I hate the taste of them most of the time so I never buy them anyway (plus theyre SO EXPENSIVE omg). Like I've never seen a mock meat that actually looks like a piece of steak or in the shape of an actual chicken or anything so I don't really understand that argument (not saying you're wrong .. just saying that's how i feel). To me it's just like eating a slab of overpriced, overproduced soy or whatever.
ReplyQuote

8 24 May 2014
sprout said:
I don't take issue with mock meats, I mean I see the point that there would be a lot of vegans who cut it out not because of the taste but because of the ethics. I was never big on the taste of meat - for instance I never ate a lot of red meat anyway, but I did like (past tense) the taste of chicken, etc. So veganism wasn't because I couldn't stand the taste or anything. Even in that respect I think it's amazing that so many people make the choice regardless of their taste buds!

And imo, I've never actually tasted a mock meat that tastes like meat? Or even looks like it. It's obvious in both texture and taste that they're soy based or whatever else. I hate the taste of them most of the time so I never buy them anyway (plus they're SO EXPENSIVE omg). Like I've never seen a mock meat that actually looks like a piece of steak or in the shape of an actual chicken or anything so I don't really understand that argument (not saying you're wrong .. just saying that's how i feel). To me it's just like eating a slab of overpriced, overproduced soy or whatever.
Thanks for your input happy

To clarify what i mean, i'm not vegan for taste reasons, i'm vegan for the animals... which is why i see it as disturbing to eat something that tastes like them...

Also there is no right or wrong... i'm asking for if people have an emotional reaction if they eat something that taste like meat as wouldn't it be similar to that of seeing a dead carcass? because your so emotionally and morally against such a thing?
ReplyQuote

sprout sprout SA Posts: 69
9 24 May 2014
ox.kylie.xo said:
To clarify what i mean, i'm not vegan for taste reasons, i'm vegan for the animals... which is why i see it as disturbing to eat something that tastes like them...

Also there is no right or wrong... i'm asking for if people have an emotional reaction if they eat something that taste like meat as wouldn't it be similar to that of seeing a dead carcass? because your so emotionally and morally against such a thing?
Oh yeah I totally get that! I just mean from my point of view like mock meats don't even remind me of animal flesh because to me the only similarity is the name. But I'd get that reasoning if they remind you of it I guess.
ReplyQuote

10 24 May 2014
sprout said:
ox.kylie.xo said:

Oh yeah I totally get that! I just mean from my point of view like mock meats don't even remind me of animal flesh because to me the only similarity is the name. But I'd get that reasoning if they remind you of it I guess.
Yeah I understood what you mean, thanks again happy also the texture of those product are the same - eg deli ham vs vegan ham... animal sausage vs vegan sausages ect? And they taste pretty much the same... like I understand that people have different taste buds and all but it seems a bit odd that everyone says they taste exactly the same yet when proposing the recognition of the moral / physiological view they then say otherwise... Why do you think they have the meat inspired names?
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au