Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

What's the difference between a vegetarian and a ovo-lacto vegetarian?

Is there even a difference?

11 - 17 of 17 posts   1 | 2  

Sophie27 Sophie27 VIC Posts: 9
11 9 Apr 2015
Hi I am vegan, I think its silly really. I see a vegetarian as someonewho doesnt consume animal flesh but still eats eggs and dairy. I told my friend I was vegan when I met her a few months ago and she seemed to know what it was then asked me over for a seafood bbq and I said no I am vegan remember and she said oh so you donf even eat seafood....
ReplyQuote

Abbiero Abbiero NSW Posts: 31
12 9 Apr 2015
Sophie27 said:
Hi I am vegan, I think its silly really. I see a vegetarian as someonewho doesnt consume animal flesh but still eats eggs and dairy. I told my friend I was vegan when I met her a few months ago and she seemed to know what it was then asked me over for a seafood bbq and I said no I am vegan remember and she said oh so you donf even eat seafood....
Generally speaking, I also think that! I totally understand what everyone else is saying with sub-categories and it makes 100% good sense, although when I think of vegetarian - in general terms - I think of a person who consumes no meat, but can eat eggs and dairy if they please.

That is so funny that that happens to you! Usually, it happens to vegetarians because people seem to think that fish isn't meat.. But for a vegan, you'd think that wouldn't happen so often!!  laugh
ReplyQuote

reddapanda reddapanda ACT Posts: 381
13 9 Apr 2015
I don't altogether think it's anyone's fault for wondering happy I mean they're just general categories. There are people who call themselves vegetarian but whom eat fish - perhaps because they don't like the word "pescatarian"? I'm pretty flexible about the terms, people can call me vegetarian or vegan or plant-based, it doesn't bother me. Most vegetarians are ovo-lacto vegetarians, so if that's the general understanding of the term it's little wonder. The main thing for me is that people are making an effort and it's having an impact on improving the lives and lessening the suffering of countless animals.

Best wishes.
peace_out
ReplyQuote

Abbiero Abbiero NSW Posts: 31
14 10 Apr 2015
reddapanda said:
I don't altogether think it's anyone's fault for wondering happy I mean they're just general categories. There are people who call themselves vegetarian but whom eat fish - perhaps because they don't like the word "pescatarian"? I'm pretty flexible about the terms, people can call me vegetarian or vegan or plant-based, it doesn't bother me. Most vegetarians are ovo-lacto vegetarians, so if that's the general understanding of the term it's little wonder. The main thing for me is that people are making an effort and it's having an impact on improving the lives and lessening the suffering of countless animals.

Best wishes.
peace_out
I suppose it is much easier to say that you're a vegetarian that eats fish rather than to tell someone that you're a pescetarian and then have them ask "What's that?"

It also doesn't bother me what term people use. The best way to describe me would be pasta-based laugh

The most important thing is that people are making an effort, regardless of what title they have! Even someone having meat free Monday's is a start!

peace_out !
ReplyQuote

reddapanda reddapanda ACT Posts: 381
15 12 Apr 2015
I agree Abbiero. starfish
ReplyQuote

Project UNITED Project UNITED QLD Posts: 1
17 19 Aug 2015
Hi Abbiero,

I'm writing a blog post on this at the moment. From what I have read, "vegetarianism" seems to be used as the umbrella term for numerous variations within the "not eating meat" or "restricted consumption of meat" lifestyle. Variations include flexitarian or semi-vegetarian, lacto, ovo, ovo-lacto, pescetarian, and pollotarian.

What I have come to understand is that "vegetarianism" isn't a stand-alone lifestyle, it is a classification housing the variations listed above.

Hope that helps and I hope I haven't rehashed someone else's answer.
ReplyQuote

Next >
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au