Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Thoughts on Zoos?

1 - 10 of 39 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Welsh Welsh VIC Posts: 61
1 19 Dec 2009
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs51/i/2009/255/1/2/Freedom_by_Apidae12.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/255/b/3/Do_They_Dream__by_Apidae12.jpg

Those are two pictures I took of monkeys when I went to visit the Melbourne Zoo a few months ago. I don't know about you but they sure as heck don't look too happy. What are your thoughts and opinions on zoos?

Personally I don't like the idea, and that if anything we should be trying to fix the problem OUT THERE... but then again, where else can they go? sad
ReplyQuote

Pomi Pomi VIC Posts: 311
2 19 Dec 2009
Zoos are just another way we have come to exploit animals.
I remember last time I went there, I think it was the American jackal thing, he was alone in a tiny area (I mean TINY) that only had grass, and near the wire fence which had other animals on the other side he was pacing, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down. You could see the dirt track of where he had walked from doing it for so long.

Oh and that visit was only this year.
ReplyQuote

Welsh Welsh VIC Posts: 61
3 19 Dec 2009
Yeah I know. I hate seeing the animals in those small cages, it's ridiculous. People really don't go there to learn about the animals, just to gawk at them behind a glass wall.
ReplyQuote

Aweso_ me Aweso_ me VIC Posts: 280
4 19 Dec 2009
the elephant area inside is dirty as with poo everywhere, disgusting
ReplyQuote

advoc8 advoc8 SA Posts: 179
5 19 Dec 2009
No they aren't happy Welsh :o( I find zoos very depressing and wonder why others who visit can't see it.
ReplyQuote

Francis Francis VIC Posts: 286
6 19 Dec 2009
I think there was a topic on this a little while ago?

My thoughts are zoos - bad
sanctuaries - good

There's a surprisingly blurry line though. Or perhaps an unsurprising one.
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
7 19 Dec 2009
I agree with Francis, also, open range zoos are okay. But yeah, sad thing is, Melbourne Zoo used to be so much worse, you can see their old exhibit areas where they show what animal was displayed there...though this is a way to make a visitor feel guilt free about todays animal dwellings in zoos, there really isn't that big of a change.
ReplyQuote

Mel Mel NSW Posts: 289
8 19 Dec 2009
the zoos in japan are awful awful...
I always want to see the animals because I love them but i refuse to give money to their captors and I know that I will be depressed seeing how unhappy they are.
sad
ReplyQuote

soy soy NSW Posts: 100
9 19 Dec 2009
I wouldn't mind working in a Zoo as long as I could do something about the welfare if it wasn't satisfactory. I know the majority of workers do care about their animals and some are even in there because they cannot breed in the wild because of predators and are facing extinction. I guess I'm OK with them aslong as they have adequate land, food and water all day long and aren't there just to be show ponies. I do always feel horrible when I go to the Zoos and see the poor things behind their cages, I want to jump in and hug them all even if they're going to savage me! happy
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
10 19 Dec 2009
Welsh said:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs51/i/2009/255/1/2/Freedom_by_Apidae12.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/255/b/3/Do_They_Dream__by_Apidae12.jpg

Those are two pictures I took of monkeys when I went to visit the Melbourne Zoo a few months ago. I don't know about you but they sure as heck don't look too happy. What are your thoughts and opinions on zoos?

Personally I don't like the idea, and that if anything we should be trying to fix the problem OUT THERE... but then again, where else can they go? sad
if u dont like zoos why did u give them $$$$ ?
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au