Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Sympathy

1 - 10 of 16 posts   1 | 2  

x.Tara x.Tara NSW Posts: 357
1 28 Jan 2010
My uncle loves fishing and during the Christmas holidays he brought home a lobster. I wasn't aware of this until I smelt it cooking (it STINKS!) so I asked mum what it was and she told me, lobster. My uncle brought it into the house, proud as pie and said "look kids, lunch time!" I was nearly ready to burst into tears and even my mother, who is an avid meat eater, said she felt sorry for the lobster. I just think of how their last moments of life are spent boiling to death, unable to do anything about it sad

So it makes me wonder why some of us sympathise with species besides our own? Whilst others don't give a flying sh*t. What's going on there??
ReplyQuote

birdie birdie VIC Posts: 393
2 28 Jan 2010
x.Tara said:
My uncle loves fishing and during the Christmas holidays he brought home a lobster. I wasn't aware of this until I smelt it cooking (it STINKS!) so I asked mum what it was and she told me, lobster. My uncle brought it into the house, proud as pie and said "look kids, lunch time!" I was nearly ready to burst into tears and even my mother, who is an avid meat eater, said she felt sorry for the lobster. I just think of how their last moments of life are spent boiling to death, unable to do anything about it sad

So it makes me wonder why some of us sympathise with species besides our own? Whislt others don't give a flying sh*t. What's going on there??
i know i ask myself the same thing most of the time.. especially whenever i see someone tuck into an animal like a wild beast fully aware of how it got onto their plate.. i am just one of those compassionate people who feels somewhat responsible for my place in the world.. every creature deserves an amount of respect.. unfortunately some people don't see a bigger picture in this world and don't care or want to change..
ReplyQuote

birdie birdie VIC Posts: 393
3 28 Jan 2010
oops for quoting tongue
ReplyQuote

ChloeMB ChloeMB VIC Posts: 560
4 28 Jan 2010
Some of us choose to ignore the facts that animals are being killed merely for our comsumtion.
Because let's face it, it is a disgusting thing. No one wants to think or deal with that thought.
But others say, yes, we know that this is barbaric. And we will do any little thing we can to stop it.
Its sad. sad
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
5 28 Jan 2010
I have a [pet] cow on the next block to me and she has got to know me, waddles over and such... very loving and gentle. I almost feel like crying every time I see her in disbelief that I used to eat her kind. Had I grown up around said kind of animal - an animal allowed to show it is a living being capable of love and emotion, rather than the cows I met when I was 10 and told "these are beef cows" and wasn't allowed to get near -  there would be no way that I would have eaten them.
ReplyQuote

Buttons Buttons VIC Posts: 229
6 28 Jan 2010
Forgive me for asking but, aren't there ways of avoiding boiling the lobster alive/conscious, like putting it in the freezer, or killing it beforehand?
ReplyQuote

sarahwithanh27 sarahwithanh27 VIC Posts: 439
7 28 Jan 2010
My brother actually used to work in a slaughterhouse in his teens, and told me stories about how all the people who work there are basically on drugs, and would throw heads around and were just seriously messed up. But he loves meat.
Maybe it's because he's only seen animals in that subjective way?
Perhaps it's our experiences which shape our opinions? (Actually... I think I may have learnt something about that in psych...)
That same brother, for fun with his friend many years before that, threw my pet mice on to the road to watch them get run over when we moved states. Maybe processing that situation in my head at such a young age, contributed to how I feel now?
Not saying that everyone that eats meat has tried to kill something for fun, just that, maybe because so many people are brought up believing that they're just things made for humans, they don't see the point in seeing otherwise?
Maybe?
ReplyQuote

krystaljadexvx krystaljadexvx QLD Posts: 259
8 28 Jan 2010
i hate it that most seafood is boiled alive. because it keeps it 'fresh' supposedly according to chefs. so f*cked up. makes me so angry
ReplyQuote

Honeygoon Honeygoon NSW Posts: 76
9 28 Jan 2010
birdie said:
x.Tara said:

So it makes me wonder why some of us sympathise with species besides our own? Whislt others don't give a flying sh*t. What's going on there??
i know i ask myself the same thing most of the time.. especially whenever i see someone tuck into an animal like a wild beast fully aware of how it got onto their plate.. i am just one of those compassionate people who feels somewhat responsible for my place in the world.. every creature deserves an amount of respect.. unfortunately some people don't see a bigger picture in this world and don't care or want to change..
Or some people DO see the bigger picture, do know what happens in factory farms etc, what it means to eat something that used to be alive, but who view the world in such a way that they don't actually make any real difference to it no matter what they do and so couldn't be bothered trying to make any kind of statement with their purchasing power.
And then there are people who simply believe that animals are ours to kill and that's just the way it is.
Not all meat eaters are ignorant; they know the information, they just really don't believe they can change anything or that anything's really worth changing.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au