Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Soy Milk???

21 - 27 of 27 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Ward Ward VIC Posts: 94
21 22 Feb 2010
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Just for some interesting information, Vitasoy is owned by a company called Lion Nathan National Foods Pty Ltd (commonly known as National Foods)
This company is owned by a Japanese company called Kirin Holdings Company Ltd. A subsidiary of Kirin Holdings' pharmaceutical division is Hematech, who breeds cattle for human antibody production and has programs funded by the USA Department of Defence.

Ouch, right? You think you're doing the right thing, then BAM.
Still, drinking soy milk as opposed to cows milk is directly helping animals. I guess it comes down to how far you want to take things. If you look deep enough, you'll find that a lot of companies are owned by larger companies who we don't necessarily agree with, however sending them a message that there is a strong market for vegan foods results in them angling their business towards this market, which in turn, helps animals!
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
22 22 Feb 2010
Ward said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Just for some interesting information, Vitasoy is owned by a company called Lion Nathan National Foods Pty Ltd (commonly known as National Foods)
This company is owned by a Japanese company called Kirin Holdings Company Ltd. A subsidiary of Kirin Holdings' pharmaceutical division is Hematech, who breeds cattle for human antibody production and has programs funded by the USA Department of Defence.

Still, drinking soy milk as opposed to cows milk is directly helping animals. I guess it comes down to how far you want to take things. If you look deep enough, you'll find that a lot of companies are owned by larger companies who we don't necessarily agree with, however sending them a message that there is a strong market for vegan foods results in them angling their business towards this market, which in turn, helps animals!
Soy milk was developed for lactose intolerant people, not vegetarian/vegan people. Supporting these companies not only means they will produce more product, but they will also have more money to fund animal testing projects.
You're better off supporting groups which do not condone animal cruelty, and only then, will there be a larger demand for cruelty free products. Which in turn, helps animals.
ReplyQuote

23 22 Feb 2010
And before everyone starts jumping on me, I was just informing everybody of what I'd found out, since I was shocked to find this out myself, and will now endeavour to source my soy milk from elsewhere.
ReplyQuote

Buttons Buttons VIC Posts: 229
24 22 Feb 2010
xMISSMONSTERx said:

I quit buying Vitasoy after I read about that. That, and I like to buy from smaller, Australian companies.
Heads up for anyone who doesn't already know: not all Vitasoy products are vegan.
http://vitasoy.com.au/products/product-range/?bID=11
ReplyQuote

tarkine tarkine Iran Posts: 296
25 23 Feb 2010
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Ward said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:

Soy milk was developed for lactose intolerant people, not vegetarian/vegan people. Supporting these companies not only means they will produce more product, but they will also have more money to fund animal testing projects.
You're better off supporting groups which do not condone animal cruelty, and only then, will there be a larger demand for cruelty free products. Which in turn, helps animals.
Couldn't agree more... it's hard to find out who owns what, and who does what, in the corporate labyrinth. But when you do find out, you can't pretend you don't know anymore.

This info about Vitasoy is news to me, but it's really not surprising - companies don't become so big and powerful without exploiting people, animals and/or the environment. I don't use much soy/rice/oat milk myself, but I would think (hope) brands like Aussie Soy, Australia's Own and Pureharvest are okay.

Living cruelty free is a challenge... I guess we all trying to do the best we can.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
26 23 Feb 2010
Ward said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:

Couldn't agree more!

I didn't know about Vitasoy so that's for the info! I rarely buy milk anyway, but I'll think twice the next time! I'd def prefer to buy all my products from a 100% vegan company but let's face it, in this world it's not possible! sad
ReplyQuote

27 23 Feb 2010
Yeah, unfortunately I was pretty devastated to find this out, since my favourite soy milk is soy milky.. And I do alot of baking.
A lady in my area just opened up a business, and she only stocks things which are 100% cruelty free (well... to everyone's knowledge anyway) I found out through her about the milk.
Alot of other food products are tainted aswell, things such as starburst, masterfoods and pringles.

I'm lucky enough to be able to source locally made soy milk happy
ReplyQuote

Next >
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au