Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Letters To The Editor

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Elese Elese VIC Posts: 17
1 15 Mar 2010
I think we should send more letters to the editor!
so share your links and what not!

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/opinion/letters/general/duck-slaughter-has-had-its-time/1774499.aspx
megaphone
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen United States Posts: 1012
2 15 Mar 2010
Unleashed Admin
I totally agree! Just one letter can help influence thousands of people! thumb

That's an awesome letter btw. Was it yours?
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
3 16 Mar 2010
if i still had a copy of the letter i sent awhile ago id show you, unfortunatly i don't think it got into the newspaper. sad
ReplyQuote

4 16 Mar 2010
Nah i sort of just copied and pasted the one made up on the page but changed it to suit.

I got a response that was published today
http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/opinion/letters/general/hunting-of-ducks-serves-a-purpose/1777155.aspx

ideas for a reply?
i might just point out that i'm definately aware of hairspray and all of those products and how they effect OTHER wildlife, but i really can only cover one topic at a time...
heh  megaphone
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
5 16 Mar 2010
FAIRY said:
Nah i sort of just copied and pasted the one made up on the page but changed it to suit.

I got a response that was published today
http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/opinion/letters/general/hunting-of-ducks-serves-a-purpose/1777155.aspx

ideas for a reply?
i might just point out that i'm definately aware of hairspray and all of those products and how they effect OTHER wildlife, but i really can only cover one topic at a time...
heh  megaphone
He does have a point, you just have to have a better one. At least he's on the same level as you and can understand why you care, that's a start!
ReplyQuote

Ellim Ellim United Kingdom Posts: 480
6 16 Mar 2010
xMISSMONSTERx said:
He does have a point, you just have to have a better one. At least he's on the same level as you and can understand why you care, that's a start!
I think his point was 'I'm going to try and accuse you of hypocrisy so I don't have to think the horror that I'm inflicting on the planet.'

I think, if you are going to write a response, make sure that you bring it back to the actual issue that you're attempting to argue - which is duck hunting and/or the wider issue of animal cruelty, not what you wear or put in your hair.  I think it's fine to say something along the lines of 'It is possible to live a cruelty free lifestyle, and I ensure that I do, however...'

Good luck!
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
7 16 Mar 2010
Mark,
In reply to your reply, I would just like to say that for one, I am a vegetarian, in doing so I abstain from all meat products, which shows the degree of compassion I am willing to show toward animals.
In regards to all your other points, they are fairly off topic as the letter was about duck hunting, not about hairspray.  (filler)
According to Professor Richard Kingsford of the University of NSW, the decline in ducks has reached 60% between 2007 and 2008

Make a point that protected species are also culled during the hunting. And that noone is a 100% accurate shooter.
And maybe just to stick it to him, with the smart arse comment about you not emailing every person in australia, find a petition which condemns the duck shooting, or something simliar.

As you can respect my compassion, I can generally assume that you yourself have some; in your heart you should realise that it is hard to convince anyone that this ugly spectacle has anything to do with sport. The violent killing and maiming of native birds and animals can no longer be regarded as a legitimate recreational sport.

I don't care if you use it word for word, but I hope I've given you something useful to work with! My only other suggestion would be to use statistics which can be backed up, and from a non biased website if possible. By the sounds of his reply he is going to use any sort of flaw in your letter as cause to argue a point.
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen United States Posts: 1012
8 17 Mar 2010
Unleashed Admin
He's given you the hook right here!

"How do you know what most Aussies think have you phoned or emailed them?"

87% of Victorians oppose duck shooting according to the Roy Morgan Poll, 2007

I agree -- keep on topic. Hunters try to change the topic like this because ethically they really don't have a leg to stand on!
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
9 17 Mar 2010
I agree we should! I have in fact been meaning to do so but i don't think they will post it up unless it is related to the current news, so i'm waiting for even the most smallest of news or event or even just an annoying meat ad on tv for me to complain about xD
ReplyQuote

10 17 Mar 2010
thats all so good happy !
i'll write it later tonight and if it's published make sure you look around for the link!
i added you as a friend anyway so ill just send you a message
thanks heaps x
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au