Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegetarian and Vegan survey - Help please! :)

11 - 20 of 42 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  

allie. allie. VIC Posts: 2
11 19 May 2010
Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan?  
Yes, I am a Vegan ecstatic

Q2) How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan for?
Two and a half years.

Q3) Please number from 1 to 5 the things that led to you becoming a vegetarian/vegan (5 being the strongest reason).
5  Animal rights
2  Better health        
4  Environment
1  Food security        
3  Water Conservation (But I guess this comes under Environment?)

Q4) Hypothetically speaking, which of these would most encourage you to return to a diet containing meat? Please number from 1 to 5 (with 5 being the strongest reason).
__ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
__ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
__ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
__ Accountability of meat industry for its actions
__ Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat
__ Other (please specify)

Honestly I don't think any of these would persuade me. No food to me is more important than an animals life. Sorry.

Q5) What is your opinion of the advertisements used by Australian Meat and Livestock producers? Have these advertisements had any effect on your lifestyle?
You mean like those adds supporting lamb, saying that its un-Australian to not eat lamb on Australia day? And that, quote "those hippy vegetarians may disagree with me, but they can get stuffed. They know the way to the airport, and if they don't know the way, I'll show them." Yeah those add's just make me practise even stronger beliefs against the industry. Sam Kekovich makes me face palm.

Q6) ‘Humans were born to eat meat’. Why do you believe that this statement is believed true by so many Australians?
Because nearly everyone in Australia, and even the world, are brought up eating meat. It's what's taught to us all from such a young age, and when we get older and become more aware, people choose to stay ignorant to where the meat they are eating every night has come from.

Hope that helped, and good luck with the assignment !
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
12 19 May 2010
Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan? yes, vegan

vegetarian for 3, vegan for 2

Q3) Please number from 1 to 5 the things that led to you becoming a vegetarian/vegan (5 being the strongest reason).
1 Animal rights
2 Better health    
3 Environment
4 Food security      

Q4) Hypothetically speaking, which of these would most encourage you to return to a diet containing meat? Please number from 1 to 5 (with 5 being the strongest reason).
I wouldn't ever return to a meat diet... but hypothetically speaking...
1 Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
3 Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
2  Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
4   Accountability of meat industry for its actions
5  Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat

Q5) What is your opinion of the advertisements used by Australian Meat and Livestock producers? Have these advertisements had any effect on your lifestyle?
i think they're completely rediculous. I think they potray the animals as well treated before slaughter, and they also make out like we need to eat meat to survive... both of which are highly untrue.

Q6) ‘Humans were born to eat meat’. Why do you believe that this statement is believed true by so many Australians?
because that's how most people have been brought up. Men especially HAVE to eat meat in most people eyes.
ReplyQuote

ChloeMB ChloeMB VIC Posts: 560
13 19 May 2010
The Fever said:
Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan?  
Yes

Since I was 3 - so 13 years

5 Animal rights
3  Better health        
4  Environment
2  Food security        
1   Other (please specify) - I dislike the taste

5  Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
3  Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
3  Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
4   Accountability of meat industry for its actions
2   Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat

They have definitely turned me off eating meat ever again. I think they completely cover up the truth about what is really happening (like if they mention something is free-range, etc)

Well, I guess they wer just raised to believe this - Australia is known for it's meat consumption, it is the thing to eat if you go to a barbie. People just don't know what is going on in the meat industry, or they want to ignore it (and who wouldn't want to not see waht is going on? It is so sad.)
ReplyQuote

pitterpatter pitterpatter QLD Posts: 376
15 19 May 2010
Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan?  Yes / No
Yes

11 months

5__ Environment
4__ Animal rights
3__ Other (please specify) - Impact on the world. Enough food is produced to feed the world but we use it so inefficiently.  If everyone ate no meat, there would be more food to go around in the form of grains.
2__ Better health        
1__ Food security        

5__ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
2__ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
4__ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
3__ Accountability of meat industry for its actions
1__ Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat

To be honest I don't really notice them except around Australia Day and they just reaffirm by beliefs.

Peer pressure, how we're raised.  Also people who don't go with the norm tend to be picked on so even if someone didn't believe it, they wouldn't want to question it.
ReplyQuote

Truc Truc VIC Posts: 85
16 19 May 2010
Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan?  Yes, vegetarian

Q2) How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan for? 9 months

__ Other (please specify) copied my sister but now i know the truth, and religion sort of

__ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc). 1
__ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc). 3
__ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security 2
__ Accountability of meat industry for its actions 4
__ Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat 5
__ Other (please specify) no

made me stop eating and not return to eating meat even more

because they can't think of anything else to say, and because they think it's good for their bodies. oh and they wouldnt look tough ? if they said the opposite
ReplyQuote

Ellim Ellim United Kingdom Posts: 480
17 19 May 2010
Yes: Vegan

I have honestly lost count - but as a pretty good estimate, about 14-15 years (all up - had a few years vegan in the middle, but due to health and a vast amount of misinformation I was given regarding my health went back to vegetarian, recently just over a year vegan)

5 Animal rights
2  Better health        
4  Environment
3  Food security        
1 Other (please specify)  (I guess there probably is something... but can't think)

__ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        

I wouldn't, so I don't think I can answer this question.  But, I will say this: I believe very strongly that animals are not here for us to use, so even if animal conditions were improved, I still would disagree with their use on a fundamental level of rights - the rights to life that should be given to any living, sentient creature.

I think they are manipulative.  But, I also know that they aren't aimed at me.  I find them disgusting because they work.

I think it's a combination of factors.  Firstly, because people believe what their parents and health professionals tell them they need.  That breeds a cycle of perpetuation until suddenly, you don't really know why something is true anymore, but society has believed it is so for many generations.  Secondly, because I think that agribusiness (and this includes egg and diary farming!) has a lot of money.  And, it's sad but money means face-time, and when you constantly bombard people with information they tend to believe it (at some point down the line).  Lastly, because for many people, it's probably easier to believe they NEED meat, and it is something they have a right to, instead of facing up to the horror of what they are contributing to.  That includes not only animal welfare and abuse, but abuse of the environment and abuse of their own bodies.  

Further to that, a lot of people are very lazy.  And, it's easier to grab McDonalds drive though on the way home than cook up a beautiful pot of dahl at home.

Edited: because I stuffed up the numbers and made '1' the '5'.  But, now fixed.
Edited again: because, seriously... I am just having one of those days.
ReplyQuote

fAeRiEs ArE aFtEr Me fAeRiEs ArE aFtEr Me VIC Posts: 376
18 19 May 2010
The Fever said:
I'm doing year 12 at the moment, and for my main English Investigation assignment I'm focussing on the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle and the pros and cons of it (health, environmental, etc). I'm also looking at the effect that the increase in the number of Australian vegetarians and vegans has had on the Australian Meat and Livestock Industry.

As a part of this I've created a survey for Australian vegetarians/vegans so that I can put together some figures to include in the report. If anyone has a spare few minutes I'd love it if you could answer a couple of questions - You'll be doing me a huge favour!

You'll all be presented in a  positive way, I promise! happy

Thank you so, so, so much!! happy

Vegan!

Bit more than a year

5 - Other (ethics)
4 - Animal Rights
3 - Better Health
2 - Environment
1 - Food security

sorry but nothing could persuade me to eat meat again.

i think they are inaccurate and deceitful. but then most advertisements trying to sell sth are!!

because as an automatic reaction people believe sth traditional is sth right. and also because we still have the mentality that we need it in our diet, whereis these days and in our society we have the option for alternatives.

could also have sth to do with supremacy - top of the food chain style thinking.

Thank you again! happy
ReplyQuote

Jen Jen VIC Posts: 619
19 20 May 2010
Vegan

2.5 years :]

5 Animal rights
2 Better health        
4 Environment
3 Food security        
1 Other (please specify)

4 Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
3 Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
2 Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
5  Accountability of meat industry for its actions
__ Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat (we already kind of have those xD )
1 Other (please specify)

I actually hate all those sorts of advertisements for meats etc. as it limits a persons ability to see other sources of vitamins / minerals such as protein & calcium etc. It really makes some people closed minded about veg*nism and other humane options, thinking that animals are the only sources available. - which probably scares people into purchasing their products or thinking it's okay and 'a way of life' so they never really think about it.
I think it's obvious that they're only in it for the money yet they make it out like they care for the population's health and that they are humane (put on a happy front with a smiling cow eating grass etc.) when in reality it could (and more likely is) nothing like this at all.

I've had personal experiences with people giving that as an answer all the time. Meat is such a big part of the majority of the populations diet. It is always the main focus in the dish (the centerpiece) while everything nutritious is the part of the side salad. People have been brought up to believe that we were meant to eat meat, through generations and generations, through practices, religions and beliefs (& to question it I guess would be considered crazy).

Hope that helped. Good luck :]
ReplyQuote

xgronox xgronox VIC Posts: 107
20 20 May 2010
Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan?  Vegan

Q2) How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan for? was vego for 1.5 years and vegan for the past 10 or so months

5__ Animal rights
4__ Better health        
2__ Environment
3__ Food security        

none

They have had an effect on my lifestyle in regards to the reasons why i feel so strongly about veganism. Being told daily that i'm considered to be "un-australian" on a national scale by spokespeople like Sam Kekovich is an absolute joke.

I cant really say whether or not this is true as im not a genetecist with a scientific background. But i will say that that i believe it is mainly due to the fact that the consumption of meat and animal products (leather, dairy and everything else) has been engrained into our culture for generations. I think the combination of both advertising by the meat and dairy industries as well as the "convenience" behind animal consumption and also religious ideaologies are the main contributing factors as to why we believe we were "born to eat meat".
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au