Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegetarian and Vegan survey - Help please! :)

21 - 30 of 42 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  

Jojo Jojo VIC Posts: 175
21 20 May 2010
Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan?  Yes / No
Yes - Vegan

Q2) How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan for?
Vegan -  2 years, vegetarian - 12 years

Q3) Please number from 1 to 5 the things that led to you becoming a vegetarian/vegan (5 being the strongest reason).
__ Animal rights 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
__ Better health        
__ Environment
__ Food security        
__ Other (please specify)
I care about the environment/health etc but animal rights was the only reason I became vegan in the first place

Q4) Hypothetically speaking, which of these would most encourage you to return to a diet containing meat? Please number from 1 to 5 (with 5 being the strongest reason).
__ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
__ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
__ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
__ Accountability of meat industry for its actions
__ Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat
None of the above, I would never return to eating meat.  With the very small exception of lab meat if it ever happened, and as long as it had no negative effect on any animal.

Q5) What is your opinion of the advertisements used by Australian Meat and Livestock producers? Have these advertisements had any effect on your lifestyle?
They contain a lot of untruths, they have no effect on my lifestyle other than to piss me off.

Q6) ‘Humans were born to eat meat’. Why do you believe that this statement is believed true by so many Australians?
Tradition and brainwashing by the meat/dairy/egg industry that we 'need' animal products, and lack of eduction to the contrary.

Thank you again! happy

Good luck!
ReplyQuote

veganx veganx QLD Posts: 200
22 20 May 2010
Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan?  

Yes, vegan.

vegetarian for 2 years, vegan for 4. So, 6 years.

Q3) Please number from 1 to 5 the things that led to you becoming a vegetarian/vegan (5 being the strongest reason).
__ Animal rights
__ Better health        
__ Environment
__ Food security        

5 - animal rights
4 - environment
3 - better health
2 - to show others there is an alternative, and you can do something about the horrible things that happen.
1 - food security

Q4) Hypothetically speaking, which of these would most encourage you to return to a diet containing meat? Please number from 1 to 5 (with 5 being the strongest reason).
__ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        

I don't know how to answer this to be honest. There is nothing that would make me want to eat meat or any by product. In my family I have the opportunity to have meat eggs and dairy directly off my uncles farm. They are free range organic products. I know for a fact these animals have good lives, are well kept and killed humanely. But I do not believe in eating meat. I don't want to eat something that has emotions and personality..

Q5) What is your opinion of the advertisements used by Australian Meat and Livestock producers? Have these advertisements had any effect on your lifestyle?

Their advertising is pretty much just a lie. They advertise their products as being healthy, and whats best for you. And also try convince consumers the animals had the best lives they possibly could.. They're nothing but lies.

Q6) ‘Humans were born to eat meat’. Why do you believe that this statement is believed true by so many Australians?

Unless you were raised in a veg family.. it is what you are told your whole life. It it constantly drummed into your head that these products are healthy, and that animals are here for us to use.. couldn't be more wrong.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
23 20 May 2010
yes i am a vegetarian

3 years

_5_ Animal rights
_3_ Better health        
_4_ Environment
_1_ Food security        
_2_ Other (please specify New food to eat

_5_ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
_4_ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
_3_ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
_1_ Accountability of meat industry for its actions
_2_ Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat

They are really yucky! I find them offending, specially when they say 'it is not normal to eat meat' 'we need to eat meat'. People then comment on these ads in relation to my diet.

Because meat is such a big part of our culture and cusine. The main thing is a slab of meat sorounded by veggies in our diet. Pluss cant forget all the bbqs.
ReplyQuote

Jessica Jessica VIC Posts: 121
24 20 May 2010
Yes, vegetarian.

About four years.

3__ Animal rights
4__ Better health        
2__ Environment
1__ Food security        
5__ Other - When I wen't vegetarian I didn't know about how they were treated I just started feeling guilty and hypocritical.

3__ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
4__ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
2__ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
5__ Accountability of meat industry for its actions
1__ Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat
6__ Other - Complete success of lab meat.
7__ Other - Extreme health problems in being Vegetarian.

Honestly I don't see myself ever knowingly/willingly eating meat again.

I almost never see those adds, they don't have an effect on my life at most it just gives me a nice oppourtunity to speak up about the awesomeness of being veg*n.

Because they're brought up with it, it's what they've always believed. Some would probably feel like they don't need to do any research on anything since its what they know to be true.
ReplyQuote

The Fever The Fever SA Posts: 27
25 20 May 2010
Thank you all so much for your help - if anyone else happens to read this and has a few spare minutes, i'd love your input too! happy

Now I just have to force myself to write an unbiased report that doesn't attack the meat industry. Difficult, but it could be an 'interesting' experience... :S

Thanks again everyone! happy
ReplyQuote

Alyssa Alyssa VIC Posts: 296
26 20 May 2010

Yes, I'm a  vegan.

I have been vegetarian/vegan for about 3 years total and completely vegan for the last 6 months.

_5_ Animal rights
_3_ Better health        
_4_ Environment
2__ Food security        

I wouldn't ever eat meat again, even if the animals were treated well. Sorry! haha I hope that doesn't affect your survey.

I try to ignore these advertisements haha, but when I do see them they do not persuade me to eat meat or anything in the slightest. They usually just make me angry because they are talking about how we need meat to survive etc. It is upsetting to know people watch ads like that and will be influenced by them.

I think because it is so much easier for people to be who others want them to be; to accept the situation they were handed and never question it. I also think that if people believe this statement, they then have a biological excuse to eat meat which exonerates them of all guilt associated with eating meat.  

Good luck with the survey!
ReplyQuote

Tanya M Tanya M VIC Posts: 741
27 21 May 2010
Yes, vegan

vegetarian for 19 years, vegan for the last 2 and a half

_5_ Animal rights
_2_ Better health        
_3_ Environment
_1_ Food security        
_4_ Other (please specify) Dissecting pregnant rats in Year 7 science class (which I walked out of) was the last straw that led me to vegetarianism. Reading Dan Matthews "Committed" was the last straw that led me to veganism.

Really, animal rights is the one and only reason that led me to become veg*n, the environment, better health and efficiency of a plant-based diet in relation to world hunger are benefits I learned about much later, so to me they are sort of bonuses.

I have tried numbering these but I really just can't because the thought of eating meat and animal products again makes me feel physically ill. No matter how much the meat/dairy/egg industries were made accountable for their actions or improved the welfare conditions, I just don't believe that anything justifies sacrificing another sentient being's life for my own personal gain, whether that be health, taste or whatever. Even if a meat-based diet were proven to be more healthy (obviously hypothetically speaking), I could not do it because I simply don't believe I have the right to harm another being for my own benefit.

I get so frustrated by every second ad on TV etc. Just about everything is connected to some kind of animal suffering, food advertisements, beauty products, household products, clothing...the list goes on. It upsets me that animals are portrayed as food, not animals. I feel despair at the social norms of the world being so widely accepted and never question by the vast majority of society. It significantly contributes to my depression and feelings that I don't belong in this world.

Like everyone else has said, it is brainwashing from the moment we come into this world. In relation to the population, I believe there is only a relative few (such as everyone on this forum!) who really think and question the norms they have grown up with, do some research of their own, and find the truth, which is not driven by the greed of companies pushing to sell more product.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
28 21 May 2010
Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan?  

Yes

Vegetarian 12 years, Vegan 3 years.

5__ Animal rights
3__ Better health        
2__ Environment
1__ Food security        
4__ Animal Welfare

5__ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
4__ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
2__ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
3__ Accountability of meat industry for its actions
1__ Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat

I really hate those Sam Neil and Ingham ads mostly because they take a dig at veg*ns when we are the ones that are actually eating healthier. The ads are stupid and inaccurate. They haven't affected my lifestyle at all, it just makes me confirm my beliefs that eating a plant based diet is healthier and compassionate towards non-humans.

Our previous generations have been taught that meat is a part of healthy diet. The Meat and Dairy Corp funded the Food Pyramid right? so generations have been "brainwashed" into thinking meat and dairy is required. People can live healthy (and healthier) lives as veg*n. Just look at the growing numbers of people with heart disease, diabetes, obsesity etc.

Good luck with your assignment, let us know how you go! happy
ReplyQuote

randz randz QLD Posts: 55
29 21 May 2010
vegan

4years

__ Animal rights 1
__ Better health 3        
__ Environment 4
__ Food security 2        

__ Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc). 1
__ Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc). 2        
__ Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security 3
__ Accountability of meat industry for its actions 4
__ Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat 5

they do anything for money,  

can't face the truth, the truth hurts
ReplyQuote

TaraStara TaraStara ACT Posts: 16
30 21 May 2010
Q1) Are you a vegetarian or vegan?  Yes

Q2) How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan for? Maybe 7 years?

5  Animal rights
3  Better health        
4 Environment
2  Food security        
1  Other (please specify) Most meat is pretty gross tasting anyway.

5  Improved animal welfare conditions (farms, abattoirs etc).
2  Tougher regulation of meat product quality (eg. Hormone content decreased/strictly managed, etc).        
4  Stronger focus on environmental sustainability/food security
3  Accountability of meat industry for its actions
1 Advertisements containing the benefits of a diet containing meat
Other (please specify)  I can't imagine I would ever go back.

If you mean the 'we were meant to eat meat' Sam Neill stuff, and all the 'Australia Day' ads about lamb...just laughable. If anything, they've made me MORE anti-meat.

I think most of us were raised in meat-and-veg, steak and sausage environments where meat is the focal point of every meal and it's never even questioned if its ethical or healthy to live that way. I think statements like the above are throwaway lines (excuses) given out by omnivores because they feel defensive about a lifestyle which, maybe deep-down, they know is cruel, unhealthy, harmful to the environment, etc.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au