Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

some good news for me

1 - 9 of 9 posts

Mimziiii Mimziiii VIC Posts: 105
1 22 May 2010
today i bought 2 chickens and a duck yaayyyyyy! im so happy so i just thought i might share.
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
2 22 May 2010
I love my chickens. So much personality. Lots of poop though. tongue

What type of chickens are they? happy
ReplyQuote

MissMadiD MissMadiD VIC Posts: 77
3 22 May 2010
YAY!
I want a chicken but I think my rottie might not appreciate them in the same way as I would.
ReplyQuote

Jen Jen VIC Posts: 619
4 23 May 2010
Wow! Lucky you xD
I want chickens as well (actually I've always wanted one)
But I'm worried my cats will kill it...
I'd love to keep them inside with me at night, but then they might poo everywhere.

But I still want to adopt some :] Oneday...
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
5 23 May 2010
Yea. I worked at a boarding kennel up in Yarrambat over the christmas holidays and one of the girls there is a vegetarian and she was telling me how there is a huge row of battery farms for chickens there. She's taken some of the chickens from there and rehabilitated them. Very rewarding.

As for dogs and cats.. with my chickens my cat was terrified of them and she wouldn't leave the house. Now she will come outside and look from a faaar distance but if we make a movement she will bolt inside. She thinks we're gonna feed her to them or something I'm sure tongue
My dog (rottie x shepherd) is fascinated by them. She will sit by the fence and watch them. She has gotten them before and pinned them down and plucked a few feathers out (she was in biiiig trouble for that) so I wouldn't ever trust a dog around chickens unmonitored unless they grew up with them. I don't think she wanted to eat them, just think she doesn't really understand them. >.< Anyway a decent sized partition with chicken wire will keep the chickens happy and safe. Mine had a nice little run and decided it wasn't enough and flew out to say hi to us a lot so we increased it and now they are quite happy to stay in there. Although they do now have about 90% of the backyard so they really should be tongue
ReplyQuote

veganx veganx QLD Posts: 200
6 23 May 2010
Tanyaka said:
Yea. I worked at a boarding kennel up in Yarrambat over the christmas holidays and one of the girls there is a vegetarian and she was telling me how there is a huge row of battery farms for chickens there. She's taken some of the chickens from there and rehabilitated them. Very rewarding.

As for dogs and cats.. with my chickens my cat was terrified of them and she wouldn't leave the house. Now she will come outside and look from a faaar distance but if we make a movement she will bolt inside. She thinks we're gonna feed her to them or something I'm sure tongue
My dog (rottie x shepherd) is fascinated by them. She will sit by the fence and watch them. She has gotten them before and pinned them down and plucked a few feathers out (she was in biiiig trouble for that) so I wouldn't ever trust a dog around chickens unmonitored unless they grew up with them. I don't think she wanted to eat them, just think she doesn't really understand them. >.< Anyway a decent sized partition with chicken wire will keep the chickens happy and safe. Mine had a nice little run and decided it wasn't enough and flew out to say hi to us a lot so we increased it and now they are quite happy to stay in there. Although they do now have about 90% of the backyard so they really should be tongue
1 of my friends has a lot of chickens, they have a massive enclosure, and a fenced off half acre or so to roam around in during the day. My friend has 3 dogs. 2 dalmatains and a labrdoodle. All 3 of them have managed to kill a chicken at 1 point of another.. I guess its just instinct.

I know lucy the labradoodle got caught the time she did it. She started out grooming the chicken like she would one of her toys and then decided she would try eat it.. Unpleasant.
ReplyQuote

ShadowDoubt ShadowDoubt QLD Posts: 753
7 23 May 2010
we have 8 chooks and they get let out into the backyard every afternoon. my doggie is a dachshund and she doesnt chase them anymore, she just sits and watches them
ReplyQuote

Mimziiii Mimziiii VIC Posts: 105
8 23 May 2010
Tanyaka said:
I love my chickens. So much personality. Lots of poop though. tongue

What type of chickens are they? happy
mhhhh, im not sure
ReplyQuote

Bonnie Bonnie VIC Posts: 5
9 23 May 2010
Awesome, good job! I loveee my chicken. Yes, I only have one. But we saved her, she was going to be eaten alive by other chickens if she was put with them so our neighbour came over and offered her to us. We saved the poor baby. She's quite content now though, she spends her days pecking around our farm and chilling with my cat happy
You should try to pick them up every now and then so they become used to it.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au