Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

The Paleo Diet doesn't prove that killing animals is morally justifiable...

1 - 10 of 15 posts   1 | 2  

EngineKid EngineKid NSW Posts: 7
1 6 Jun 2010
A friend of mine who is on the Paleo Diet believes that it's health benefits prove that this is the diet we were meant to have and therefore it justifies the killing of animals.

I certainly don't agree and have some arguments of my own to fire back, but I wondered what others thought?
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
2 6 Jun 2010
Plz excuse my ignorance - but wtf is the Paleo Diet??? I assume it is heavy on animal products?
ReplyQuote

Buttons Buttons VIC Posts: 229
3 6 Jun 2010
Isn't that the one where you supposedly eat like our - an ethnocentric "our" - ancestors did? What, did The Jesus Diet not work out for them? funny

http://www.everydiet.org/diet/what-would-jesus-eat
ReplyQuote

tarkine tarkine Iran Posts: 296
4 6 Jun 2010
The argument about whether or not humans are "meant" to eat meat is completely irrelevant, and misses the point. The fact is that obviously we do not have to eat meat in order to live a long and healthy life. We therefore have a choice to make - either to be vegan, or to be complicit in cruelty and unnecessary suffering.

Extracts from http://archaeology.about.com:
"The Stone Age (known to scholars as the Paleolithic era) in human prehistory is the name given to the period between about 2.5 million and 20,000 years ago. It begins with the earliest human-like behaviors of crude stone tool manufacture..."
"Neanderthals were a type of early hominid that lived on the planet Earth between about 200,000 to 30,000 years ago."

Those who think that humans in the 21st century AD should eat meat because our ancestors ate meat back in the Stone Age clearly haven't evolved much since the invention of the wheel, and show the intelligence of a Neanderthal.
ReplyQuote

afimelb afimelb VIC Posts: 141
5 7 Jun 2010
RaV3N said:
Plz excuse my ignorance - but wtf is the Paleo Diet??? I assume it is heavy on animal products?
google it.
supposively it excludes  excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils

sounds dumb
ReplyQuote

Ellim Ellim United Kingdom Posts: 480
6 7 Jun 2010
tarkine said:
The argument about whether or not humans are "meant" to eat meat is completely irrelevant, and misses the point.
On top of this: the change in demand and in farming practices have dramatically changed and the changes have impacted the environment and the chemical make-up of the produce.
To begin with, paleolithic-era people would have only started developing very simple agricultural farming techniques, and could only grow crops and raise animals that were a) seasonal and b) local.  
Secondly, there is a huge difference between animal husbandry and factory farming.  The fact that thousands of years ago, my ancestors went and killed a ram is pretty different to the fact that today thousands upon thousands of animals will be indiscriminately slaughtered for human consumption.
I think that they've missed the point with the premise of the diet: food is not as nutritionally dense as it used to be - especially food purchased from a supermarket or other source of mass production.  Meat animals are raised and fed differently than they were in the paleolithic era, and therefore there will be a change in nutritional content.  So, unless followers of this diet are going to raise (and kill) all their own produce, and make sure it is as close to 'original' as possible, it's kind of a moot point.
Last, it doesn't change the fact that animals are not ours to (ab)use.  The fact is that we do actually have different moral systems that 'early man.'  I am a bit loath to say it, but we are morally superior, and therefore should be making morally superior judgments.
ReplyQuote

EngineKid EngineKid NSW Posts: 7
7 12 Jun 2010
Cheers. These are all good points.
ReplyQuote

kim. kim. SA Posts: 214
8 12 Jun 2010
afimelb said:
RaV3N said:
google it.
supposively it excludes  excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils

sounds dumb
what?! Thats stupid! I wouldnt be able to live without tofu!!
ReplyQuote

leticia-porth leticia-porth NSW Posts: 151
9 14 Jun 2010
thats not cool of ur friend at all sad
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
10 14 Jun 2010
vege.girl.kim said:
afimelb said:
RaV3N said:
google it.

sounds dumb
what?! Thats stupid! I wouldnt be able to live without tofu!!
I could quite easily live without tofu... haha.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au