Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

'Environmental' Veg*nism

1 - 6 of 6 posts

Ellim Ellim United Kingdom Posts: 480
1 9 Jun 2010
A good friend of mine recently 'outed' himself as a vegetarian - he's been living meat-free for a while but until recently felt uncomfortable with the baggage and stigma that comes with the label.  One of the big issues that he talked about was the 'animal rights' position.  Not that he is against liberation, but it was only a part of his reasoning behind becoming vegetarian (and, hopefully vegan soon).  The major contributing factor for him was the environmental impact of animal agriculture and intensive factory farming.

So, my question is: do we place too much emphasis on animal liberation and no enough on environmental impact when the former can be seen as socially alienating and the latter is getting much more public press at the moment?  Is there more opportunity to create 'environmental' veg*ns right now?
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
2 9 Jun 2010
i dont think its too much on the animal front but i do believe there could be more on the environmental side.
there are so many people that are shocked to hear how much impact their diet has on the environment and those who want to make a difference  will become veg or be more likely to limit there meat intake (one would hope)

it would be great to see more campaigns on the environment issues and i have notice they are starting to become more common as the "green living" lifestyle is becoming more popular
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
3 9 Jun 2010
Compostkitty said:
it would be great to see more campaigns on the environment issues and i have notice they are starting to become more common as the "green living" lifestyle is becoming more popular
I think they need to put more emphasis on the environmental benefits of veganism.

everyone does the green thing, gets energy saving light bulbs, those enviro cars, solar heating...
ReplyQuote

Jackie Jackie NSW Posts: 229
4 9 Jun 2010
Andrew G actually went vegan for environmental & social reasons.....(of course he cares about the animals too though! happy)
I am actually hearing more & more everyday about people becoming vegetarian or vegan for environmental reasons.

I work in an organic cafe, which is inside an organic supermarket, which also sells environmentally friendly clothing, toys, makeup, etc, so the people that shop there are quite conscious & caring about environmental issues.
More & more people that are part of our little organic store 'community' seem to be eating less meat (& only buying the local, organic/biodynamic meat sold in the store when they do), for environmental reasons, as well as concern for the animals.
The cafe held a 6 week vegan cooking class a while back, which included education on the health, environmental, & animal welfare benefits of a vegan diet, & most of the people involved became vegan after that.

I think you need to tap into what's most important to the person - for some, the animals will win them over, for others it's the environment, & again for others it is the benefits to their own health.
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
5 9 Jun 2010
To me there are 3 reasons for going veg*n:

1) the animals
2) the environment
3) your health

Whichever level speaks most to each individual person is a good enough reason to me for going veg*n. Mine initially started as health, then animals, then environment. Some it may be the other way round, only 1 or 2 of these or whatever.

But yes I think there should be more emphasis put on the environmental aspect of going veg*n rather than just for the animals.
ReplyQuote

leticia-porth leticia-porth NSW Posts: 151
6 12 Jun 2010
join green peace then be vegan then ur booth yay happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au