Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

has nuttelex changed? or has it always claimed to be vegan?

1 - 10 of 29 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

krystaljadexvx krystaljadexvx QLD Posts: 259
1 2 Aug 2010
today at work i picked up a tub of nuttelex and looked at the bottom to look at the ingredients just because.
i noticed this on the bottom

-Vegetarian and Vegan

I've never noticed that before. has anybody else? or have they recently changed the packaging due to all this palm oil crap?
here is a picture -

http://i28.tinypic.com/14nn0g2.jpg

yay! no more boycotting happy
ReplyQuote

Brendon Brendon NSW Posts: 1212
2 2 Aug 2010
They still contain palm oil.
Something labelled as "vegetable oil" often is palm oil because in Australia they don't have to say what it is.
They've always said they're vegan even though there is palm oil in them.
I shall continue to boycott them and encourage others too as well.
Look into Melrose Margarine it's truly vegan AND tastier.
ReplyQuote

3 2 Aug 2010
BreadmanInAus said:
They still contain palm oil.
Something labelled as "vegetable oil" often is palm oil because in Australia they don't have to say what it is.
They've always said they're vegan even though there is palm oil in them.
I shall continue to boycott them and encourage others too as well.
ADD: Most vegan products that have a vegetable oil in them and claim to contain vitamin E have palm oil as that is where it is sourced from.
Even Daily Juice (JUICE?!?!?!) has a breakfast juice which contains vitamin E... Sourced from palm oi.
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
4 2 Aug 2010
the ingredients are vegan so classified as vegan.
the issue some have is because of the palm oil (which itself is vegan) but some companies don't use a sustainable source i believe nuttlex has emailed someone (referring to previous post about palm oil issue) that the use a sustainable source
ReplyQuote

5 2 Aug 2010
Compostkitty said:
the ingredients are vegan so classified as vegan.
the issue some have is because of the palm oil (which itself is vegan) but some companies don't use a sustainable source i believe nuttlex has emailed someone (referring to previous post about palm oil issue) that the use a sustainable source
Palm oil production is something I'm very passionate about and the idea of sustainable palm oil makes me angry; almost as angry as "free-range meat".
Here's the problem.
Where they grow palm oil they need to destroy lots of habitat for wild animals (orangutans are seriously threatened by this) and loads of trees.
They then grow the palm trees for the oil on this land a few times before moving on to cut down more trees and grow palms there.
They don't stay on the same soil because A) The palms take longer to grow due to the destruction of the soil and B) It's not profitable as people will pay LOTS of money for the trees that were cut down.
Now "The Round Table of Sustainable Palm Oil" has emerged and is claiming to grow sustainable palm oil.
I've got two problems with them.
1. They're owned and run by the same companies who profit of the palm oil industry. It's a major conflict of interest.
2. They're still cutting down trees they just claim to do it at a slower rate.
No one is currently producing "sustainable palm oil" which is why I think that the boycott should continue.
ReplyQuote

Janine Janine NSW Posts: 232
6 2 Aug 2010
how about nuttelex olive? does anyone know if thats vegan?
ReplyQuote

krystaljadexvx krystaljadexvx QLD Posts: 259
7 2 Aug 2010
so the fact that it says (all from vegetable sources) in the ingredients means nothing?
or is palm oil considered to be a vegetable?
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
8 2 Aug 2010
BreadmanInAus said:
Is it as readily available or is it only in health food stores?
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
9 2 Aug 2010
krystaljadexvx said:
so the fact that it says (all from vegetable sources) in the ingredients means nothing?
or is palm oil considered to be a vegetable?
Nuttlex is vegan (100% vegetable). However, palm oil production kills orangutans, that's why some veg*ns avoid  it.

www.orangutan.org.au
www.palmoilaction.org.au
ReplyQuote

10 2 Aug 2010
Janine said:
how about nuttelex olive? does anyone know if thats vegan?
It contains palm oil just not as much; it's 65% vegetable oil of which 21% is olive. The rest is a mixture.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au