Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Anyone else been forced to use animal products in school/work/uni?

21 - 30 of 55 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  

Kaisha Kaisha VIC Posts: 97
21 22 Jul 2009
Regarding the wool sometimes it is better to find an alternative way to handle such a situation ie saying you are allergic. A lot of people don't understand and will hate you for your beliefs and it's all fare and well to say you want to stand up for your beliefs but sometimes the price isn't worth it happy I quite often tell white lies to avoid bad situations with the omnis which no matter what i say, they will never understand, just get angry.
ReplyQuote

Amelia! Amelia! QLD Posts: 143
22 22 Jul 2009
Veganelle said:
Regarding the wool sometimes it is better to find an alternative way to handle such a situation ie saying you are allergic. A lot of people don't understand and will hate you for your beliefs and it's all fare and well to say you want to stand up for your beliefs but sometimes the price isn't worth it happy I quite often tell white lies to avoid bad situations with the omnis which no matter what i say, they will never understand, just get angry.
Ahh ok. That's also a good way to go around it -wishes I thought of that- But the rest of my class was completely 100% supportive of me, it was just the teacher T_T I shall use that excuse next time I'm in that situation. Thanks!
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
23 22 Jul 2009
Davey said:
Veganelle said:
Ahh ok. That's also a good way to go around it -wishes I thought of that- But the rest of my class was completely 100% supportive of me, it was just the teacher T_T I shall use that excuse next time I'm in that situation. Thanks!
hmmm.. I think you went about it the right away, actually. We shouldn't ever feel ashamed of our views of the world, no matter what they are - veganism, sexuality, cultural background etc etc. Though it can be easier to go around it with an excuse like the one stated by Veganelle, I certainly think we should never back down and stick-it to those who object to our lifestyles. This is a free country; let freedom never be closeted.

Anyway, if we begin to feel ashamed of our lifestyle, what hope do we ever have of bringing others onboard with us? who really wants to join something that is looked upon as 'shameful.' Let us be vegetarians/vegans and let us be proud! happy
ReplyQuote

Amelia! Amelia! QLD Posts: 143
24 25 Jul 2009
Matt.Y said:
Davey said:
Veganelle said:
hmmm.. I think you went about it the right away, actually. We shouldn't ever feel ashamed of our views of the world, no matter what they are - veganism, sexuality, cultural background etc etc. Though it can be easier to go around it with an excuse like the one stated by Veganelle, I certainly think we should never back down and stick-it to those who object to our lifestyles. This is a free country; let freedom never be closeted.

Anyway, if we begin to feel ashamed of our lifestyle, what hope do we ever have of bringing others onboard with us? who really wants to join something that is looked upon as 'shameful.' Let us be vegetarians/vegans and let us be proud! happy
Yea, that is a really good point and was my reasoning.
ReplyQuote

25 26 Jul 2009
It's nothing to do with feeling ashamed of our views, it's to do with keeping the peace and not losing out. With the wool, the teacher probably would have thought davey was trying to be difficult. You need to realise that other people, particularly the older generation, aren't going to see it the same way as you and will get annoyed. If Davey said the reason was because of allergy, the final mark porbably wouldn't have been affected! Also, it's not that big of a deal, the wool is already there and davey using it isn't going to make that much of a difference. To be honest, I probably would have thought you were being difficult too (being of the older generation and also if i weren't into animal rights)!

Just because you choose an alternative approach does not make you ashamed!

For example, my flatmates buy all non environmentaslly friendly/animal tested soaps etc. Instead of saying, I'm vegan and i don't agree and won't use it, I say i have dermatitis! If i say i'm vegan and want to buy alternative products or buy my own (we all chip in and do one mass shop together) then I may be seen as difficult and it is going to cause problems and upset the balance of this household. So i take an alternative approach to keep our living arrangements harmonious, i get my green stuff, they get what they want and everyone is happy!
ReplyQuote

Francis Francis VIC Posts: 286
26 26 Jul 2009
Veganelle said:
It's nothing to do with feeling ashamed of our views, it's to do with keeping the peace and not losing out. With the wool, the teacher probably would have thought davey was trying to be difficult. You need to realise that other people, particularly the older generation, aren't going to see it the same way as you and will get annoyed. If Davey said the reason was because of allergy, the final mark porbably wouldn't have been affected! Also, it's not that big of a deal, the wool is already there and davey using it isn't going to make that much of a difference. To be honest, I probably would have thought you were being difficult too (being of the older generation and also if i weren't into animal rights)!

Just because you choose an alternative approach does not make you ashamed!

For example, my flatmates buy all non environmentaslly friendly/animal tested soaps etc. Instead of saying, I'm vegan and i don't agree and won't use it, I say i have dermatitis! If i say i'm vegan and want to buy alternative products or buy my own (we all chip in and do one mass shop together) then I may be seen as difficult and it is going to cause problems and upset the balance of this household. So i take an alternative approach to keep our living arrangements harmonious, i get my green stuff, they get what they want and everyone is happy!
We're not talking about our favourite colours.

There are real animals that are suffering and being killed and tortured and to not voice your awareness because you 'dont want to make a fuss' is ridiculous.

Even more ridiculous is lying about why you own't use the wool.

Using animal procducts cos not doing it affects your marks is just showing total discrtimnation by the teachers, total lack of empathy and consciousness  as well.

If you do use thme however, you're using them for convenience.... whcih isnm't really a justifcation, is it?
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
27 26 Jul 2009
Veganelle said:
When I first found out about what actually happens in product testing on animals, I told my dad about it (the household products he buys were all tested on animals).
Unsurprisingly, he found it too unbelievable and chose the happy Denial Land. So I kept dropping comments, showing the Choose Cruelty Free mag, telling him how certain celebrities backed the cause, and when he was in a nice mood, I tried to explain how exactly they tested these products and I always brought Midgem into this scenario (a rabbit that lived with us for 6 years) to create a picture of what it was like.
Then I took the next step and bought those Earth Choice cleaning products (which are about $2 each) so he could witness the alternative. As stubborn and stuck in his ways as he is, this process has produced cruelty-free results.

You don't have to create conflict, but you don't have to suppress yourself either. There IS a happy medium which creates change, in my opinion (however 'positive' that may be).

dove
ReplyQuote

28 26 Jul 2009
Welcome to the real world princess.

Yeah that's true aimee, there is that possibility there they'll accept it and go for it BUT if that's not the case i don't want to be living with any hostility. Can be difficult living with people so have to make it as smooth as possible. Looking forward to buying my own home soon. I guess you get used to making people aware of issues but when it comes to the home and work environemtns you kind of have to just shut it.
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
29 26 Jul 2009
Veganelle said:
I guess you get used to making people aware of issues but when it comes to the home and work environments you kind of have to just shut it.
I'll never shut it  tongue mwahaha
ReplyQuote

30 27 Jul 2009
haha well so long as you don't lose your job like i did  laugh

We had some retard using the veggie one yesterday. "But carrots have feelings too" omfgggg i used to cop that at work 24/7..
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ] 

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).