Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Bird Killed By A Secondary Student At Our School

1 - 10 of 19 posts   1 | 2  

Jessiicaa- Jessiicaa- VIC Posts: 20
1 7 Sep 2010
Yesterday at our school, a year 8 boy named Daniel killed a bird.
Fortunately I didn’t witness this horrific act of cruelty but heard the same story from many people.
On the basketball court, a helpless bird that could not fly was found by a group of boys. Ricky had picked it up, and ran with it to stop Daniel from kicking it. While Ricky was running he accidently dropped the bird on the floor, but still tried to protect it by standing over it so Daniel couldn’t get it. Daniel, being twice the size of Ricky, pushed him aside and ran up to the bird and kicked it so hard that it hit a fence and rebounded onto the floor. Anthony, a friend, went to pick up the bird but was too scared, so the bird as it was on the floor gasping for air, eventually closed its eyes and died, in much pain, as he also broke its neck.
Some students had buried it on the oval, and when the co-ordinator found out, Daniel was suspended for one day.
To make things worse, I was upset for the rest of the day, and started crying in P.E class. I was told by a teacher ‘I know it’s disgusting, but I think you are over-reacting a bit. The bird is gone now, so you shouldn’t have to worry about it. It’s only a bird, not a human, so get over it.’ She then sent me outside the gym to calm down.
My best friends mum, had rang the school and asked for a longer suspension, and also an apology to be written in the schools newsletter.
My friend and I are both still very disgusted at what happened with the bird and feel like more needs to be done because not only is it cruel, but most people like these can turn into killers when they're older. Do you have any ideas of what we could do besides write into the RSPCA?
ReplyQuote

emileee emileee NSW Posts: 514
2 7 Sep 2010
Tbh i dont think the RSPCA will do anything about ..
ReplyQuote

3 7 Sep 2010
emileee said:
Tbh i dont think the RSPCA will do anything about ..
Yeah, i was thinking that..
ReplyQuote

Chip Chip VIC Posts: 168
4 7 Sep 2010
My gosh that is sad. I would have given your gym teacher a piece of my mind (no offence, but P.E. teachers are generally rude and a**holes from what I've witnessed)!! You've got a healthy attitude towards such a thing, I would have been so upset too... it's just so wrong!!

I think people just think of this sort of thing as "road-kill", whenever I see even the smallest of bird on the road (in fact, there was a stunned sparrow in the middle of the road today as I was going home and felt so upset...) I get upset. People will say it's sissy, but really they're just insensitive people who are very ignorant.

But as for contacting the RSPCA, there really isn't really much they can do, I mean even though it is a sick and terrible thing that happened... it's just like the many birds who are hits by cars everyday. But who knows! Give the RSPCA a buzz anyway, they might just do the unexpected. happy
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
5 7 Sep 2010
That is just wrong. And only one day suspension? You're kidding? You get more for punching someone!

I definitely think an apology by this Daniel fella, but in an open forum like school parade. And then should be on litter duties or something for a week (if you're school does those).
ReplyQuote

Courtney_1 Courtney_1 VIC Posts: 335
6 7 Sep 2010
Chip said:
My gosh that is sad. I would have given your gym teacher a piece of my mind (no offence, but P.E. teachers are generally rude and a**holes from what I've witnessed)!! You've got a healthy attitude towards such a thing, I would have been so upset too... it's just so wrong!!

I think people just think of this sort of thing as "road-kill", whenever I see even the smallest of bird on the road (in fact, there was a stunned sparrow in the middle of the road today as I was going home and felt so upset...) I get upset. People will say it's sissy, but really they're just insensitive people who are very ignorant.

But as for contacting the RSPCA, there really isn't really much they can do, I mean even though it is a sick and terrible thing that happened... it's just like the many birds who are hits by cars everyday. But who knows! Give the RSPCA a buzz anyway, they might just do the unexpected. happy
I agree with you. I hate most of the P.E teachers at my school anyway. Dx

But oh, the poor sparrow! I know what you mean. sad
But yeah, my mum was the one who rang the school and mum also suggested that it would be a good idea to mention it to the newspaper although they couldn't do anything about it.. RSPCA doesn't do much either.
ReplyQuote

7 7 Sep 2010
RaV3N said:
That is just wrong. And only one day suspension? You're kidding? You get more for punching someone!

I definitely think an apology by this Daniel fella, but in an open forum like school parade. And then should be on litter duties or something for a week (if you're school does those).
I know!  |:

although the only reason he is giving an apology is because he was forced to by the year 8 co-ordinator.
ReplyQuote

pcf pcf VIC Posts: 638
8 7 Sep 2010
thats disgusting what a little prick.
its people like that id like to bash and see how they feel...

that irritates me to know that he only got one day suspension.

its so mean.
ReplyQuote

Brendon Brendon NSW Posts: 1212
9 7 Sep 2010
Does he have any pets?
Studies show that pets build animal empathy.
I know it's not really relevant but I'm just curious.
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
10 7 Sep 2010
That's really sickening. Any time I see an injured animal, I do my best to help out. My b/f is very sweet and will let me pick up hurt animals from the road, put them in his car, and then take them to a vet. We're lucky enough that one of my friends' mothers is a vet. We took a hurt bird to her, and we named him Billy Buddy Boojie Boo, lol! He got better and we let him go =)

My highschool was right opposite the local pound, so we got dogs, that had escaped, running through our school every now and then. The students were horrible to the poor animals. I think it might be the area I live in. The people here just seem to hate animals. It disgusts me!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au