Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Moral Dilemma - Eggs

1 - 6 of 6 posts

Angelaaaaaaaaaaa Angelaaaaaaaaaaa NSW Posts: 15
1 15 Sep 2010
I have pet chickens and  have always eaten their eggs even though I've been an on off vegetarian all my life. But only now, since joining Unleashed have I thought this may be morally wrong. Sure they're eggs but chooks lay them and as we have no rooster it's not like there's any chance they'd be babies and if they aren't eaten then they'd just go rotten and be thrown out. And the reason we got the pet chooks is so we wouldn't have to have shop bought eggs and support animal cruelty.
So what's your stance on this?
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
2 15 Sep 2010
There's been a few threads on this and the general consensus is that it's each to their own! My opinion would be as long as your chooks are happy and healthy there's no reason why you shouldn't eat the eggs, especially if you think of the alternative. I probably wouldn't eat them but that's just because I haven't for a long while and don't think I could stomach eggs anymore. Also, if you find yourself with more eggs than you could eat, give some to family or friends who eat cage eggs and use it as a chance to educate.
peace_out
ReplyQuote

april-san april-san QLD Posts: 368
3 15 Sep 2010
Kirrilly said:
There's been a few threads on this and the general consensus is that it's each to their own! My opinion would be as long as your chooks are happy and healthy there's no reason why you shouldn't eat the eggs, especially if you think of the alternative. I probably wouldn't eat them but that's just because I haven't for a long while and don't think I could stomach eggs anymore. Also, if you find yourself with more eggs than you could eat, give some to family or friends who eat cage eggs and use it as a chance to educate.
peace_out
That's what I do with my chooks happy
You're not doing anything to them, like giving them growth hormones, to make them lay eggs, and they get to live freely and play and nest. They're laying the eggs on their own account, and they're not fertilised, so personally I see no moral issue there. If you want to stop eating eggs because of the cruelty, you can just stop eating eggs that weren't laid by your chooks.
The moral issues with eggs are all about the killing of baby males, lack of proper exercise and space, forcing the chickens to lay unnatural amounts of eggs, and then killing the hens after they've stopped being productive. None of that applies to your chickens, so I don't think you should feel guilty about eating their eggs.
ReplyQuote

AmeliaJ AmeliaJ QLD Posts: 164
4 15 Sep 2010
Kirrilly said:
Also, if you find yourself with more eggs than you could eat, give some to family or friends who eat cage eggs and use it as a chance to educate.
peace_out
I am in the planning stages of setting up for our own chooks (ex-battery hens) and I'm planning to get some egg cartons and take before and after photos of my chooks (ie when they first come from the cages, and then when they've grown all their feathers back etc) and then put the photos and a little story on the cartons about where eggs come from. Then give the cartons (Filled with happy eggs) to everyone I know who still buys cage eggs. (Oh and I'll recycle the cartons too... happy ) Can't wait!
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
5 15 Sep 2010
AmeliaJ said:
Kirrilly said:
Also, if you find yourself with more eggs than you could eat, give some to family or friends who eat cage eggs and use it as a chance to educate.
peace_out
I am in the planning stages of setting up for our own chooks (ex-battery hens) and I'm planning to get some egg cartons and take before and after photos of my chooks (ie when they first come from the cages, and then when they've grown all their feathers back etc) and then put the photos and a little story on the cartons about where eggs come from. Then give the cartons (Filled with happy eggs) to everyone I know who still buys cage eggs. (Oh and I'll recycle the cartons too... happy ) Can't wait!
That's a nifty idea!!
ReplyQuote

Angelaaaaaaaaaaa Angelaaaaaaaaaaa NSW Posts: 15
6 15 Sep 2010
Well thank you everyone for your opinions and thoughts ^_^
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au