Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Adoption?

info

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

Seyda Seyda VIC Posts: 167
1 25 Dec 2010
hi everyone i am thinking of adopting a Guinea pig in the near future and was wondering if i can adopt one rather than buy one from a pet store, do shelters have them coz i know that shelters have rabbits but havent heard of guinea pigs?
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
2 26 Dec 2010
I know there are guinea pig rescue places and I assume some shelters would have them. However, I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to have one on their own because they are very social and will get very lonely.
ReplyQuote

3 26 Dec 2010
Aimee said:
I know there are guinea pig rescue places and I assume some shelters would have them. However, I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to have one on their own because they are very social and will get very lonely.
thanks for the info happy
ReplyQuote

Leighbunny Leighbunny VIC Posts: 174
4 26 Dec 2010
Yep, they are social so you need two or more. I work at an animal shelter, we have guinea pigs.
We have some at the moment, but they aren't ready to go yet (just go them in, not yet desexed). There's a link to an info sheet on the bottom of this page:
http://www.aaps.org.au/otheranimal/gin_page_one.html

Ignore the guinea pigs on that page, they're long ago adopted. Haven't managed to update the rabbit or guinea pig pages for ages!
ReplyQuote

5 26 Dec 2010
thanks soo much! i live very close to this shelter and even take sora my dog to the vet next to it, i might come in to have a look to see if the guinea pigs are avail sometime soon happy
ReplyQuote

Jen Jen VIC Posts: 619
6 26 Dec 2010
http://www.aaps.org.au/otheranimal/gin_page_one.html happy of course they have guinea pigs! xD
ReplyQuote

7 26 Dec 2010
The guinea pigs aren't on show. They can't mix with the bunnies, as rabbits have a bacteria than can kill the piggies (bordatella), so they're off show. They aren't shown to people until they have been desexed and recovered for a week after surgery.
Best thing to do is to either fill out a guinea pig wanted form, and send it to me (Leigh- email on the AAPS website), or to just email me. I'm the only rabbit/guinea pig rehomer because I know them so well.
ReplyQuote

8 26 Dec 2010
Leighbunny said:
The guinea pigs aren't on show. They can't mix with the bunnies, as rabbits have a bacteria than can kill the piggies (bordatella), so they're off show. They aren't shown to people until they have been desexed and recovered for a week after surgery.
Best thing to do is to either fill out a guinea pig wanted form, and send it to me (Leigh- email on the AAPS website), or to just email me. I'm the only rabbit/guinea pig rehomer because I know them so well.
oh ok then sorry i didnt know that, so does that mean no guineapig should be mixed with bunnies at all coz the guineapigs at pet stores are always with like 6 rabbits in the same cage and all,  i'll fill out the form when i am ready to have guineapigs as im just trying to get as much info as possible about how to care for them etc happy
ReplyQuote

Hitler Hitler Iraq Posts: 465
9 26 Dec 2010
OMG - Australian Cavy Sanctuary

www.australiancavysanctuary.com
ReplyQuote

10 26 Dec 2010
They really shouldn't be mixing the bunnies and piggies at all at the pet shop. Think it kills maybe 1 in 10 guinea pigs, there is no symptoms, they just die (pneumonia I think).
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au