Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

One million toy bunnies to Myxo Minister

Save our pet bunnies from myxo

11 - 20 of 22 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

EarthDefender EarthDefender QLD Posts: 270
11 30 Jan 2011
EarthDefender said:
I had a rabbit in qld for a couple of years til he died of a lung problem? Cancer? It was so hard to get help from vets cos he was illegal. We used to keep him in an enclosure covered in flyscreen. He was an awesome little dude and it makes me sad thinking about it now, even though he was before I got my cats 7 years ago...

It's so stupid, for him to 'escape', I don't know how he would've survived a day, let alone reproduce and overrun the suburbs with rabbits!
Cats would be more damaging to the environment and wildlife than rabbits, but because they're not affecting any big industries no one cares.
ReplyQuote

AmyAmeliaRose AmyAmeliaRose WA Posts: 119
12 30 Jan 2011
My rabbit has Myxo at the moment, but i have look around on the web because he didn't have the symptoms of normal myxo, it turns out he has chronic myxomatosis. Hes in a really bad way and im really worried about him   sad
Its such a horrible disease
ReplyQuote

Tanya M Tanya M VIC Posts: 741
13 30 Jan 2011
Maggie said:
Kirrilly said:
Eek, that's so sad sad How do they catch it? Is it in the air or do they have to come into contact with wild bunnies? It's such a horrible thing, sorry for your loss sad
They get it from mosquitoes and fleas. Benjamin loved playing with the wallabies and pademelons, and they gave him fleas which were carrying the virus.
They also catch in from contact with infected bunnies.

I lost my two almost a year ago....RIP Oreo and Amaretto.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
14 30 Jan 2011
Amy Rose said:
My rabbit has Myxo at the moment, but i have look around on the web because he didn't have the symptoms of normal myxo, it turns out he has chronic myxomatosis. Hes in a really bad way and im really worried about him   sad
Its such a horrible disease
I'm so sorry, but there's only one way to treat Myxo, and that's euthanasia. cry
ReplyQuote

15 30 Jan 2011
Tanya M said:
Maggie said:
Kirrilly said:
Eek, that's so sad sad How do they catch it? Is it in the air or do they have to come into contact with wild bunnies? It's such a horrible thing, sorry for your loss sad
They get it from mosquitoes and fleas. Benjamin loved playing with the wallabies and pademelons, and they gave him fleas which were carrying the virus.
They also catch in from contact with infected bunnies.

I lost my two almost a year ago....RIP Oreo and Amaretto.
I'm so sorry to hear about Oreo and Amaretto. Bunnies are so much more than "just rabbits", it's hard losing them to such a horrible and cruel disease.
ReplyQuote

Shorty Shorty QLD Posts: 479
16 30 Jan 2011
Maggie said:
Shorty said:
Maggie said:
Kirrilly said:
Does myxo even work on wild rabbit populations anymore?
I think around 33% (and increasing) of the wild rabbit population are immune to the virus. Sooner or later the entire, or the vast majority, wild rabbit population will be immune to the virus and the virus will only kill domestic bunnies. (Like my Benji cry )
Its just cruel to deny them the vaccine sad

Living in Queensland, we cant have rabbits so I don't know anyone personally who's rabbit has suffered but I'm still going try send one anyway.. do you mind if I write Benji on mine? I'm so sorry for your loss sad
I'd love you to write Benji on yours. I think he would like it too. He was the most loving bunny I'd met, and he loved life. I've got some pics of him on my profile.

And when you have a myxo bunny euthanised, his body must be burnt to stop the virus from spreading. So you don't get his remains back. sad
I saw the pics, poor thing, he was such a gorgeous little bunny. Gah I hate humans and the bloody government, why can't they just find a way to get rid of wild rabbits without causing them so much pain sad
ReplyQuote

Poppy Popstar Poppy Popstar VIC Posts: 37
17 30 Jan 2011
Thanks everyone for supporting this campaign.  I am so sorry to everyone who has lost a bun to myxo.  It is the most horrible disease and should not be something that any bunny lover should have to fear if we had the vaccine.  

The govt seem to see everything about rabbits as black & white.  We need to show them that bunny lovers want and need this vaccination!
ReplyQuote

AmyAmeliaRose AmyAmeliaRose WA Posts: 119
18 31 Jan 2011
Maggie said:
I'm so sorry, but there's only one way to treat Myxo, and that's euthanasia. cry
Yeah we had him put down today sad  
He was having trouble breathing, but at least he is at peace now
ReplyQuote

19 31 Jan 2011
Amy Rose said:
Maggie said:
I'm so sorry to hear that. It's a horrible disease. No rabbit deserves to go through it.

In the mean time, don't get another rabbit for a further 12 months, as the disease can hang around apparently, so the next rabbit will just get it too...
ReplyQuote

AliceinWhorrorland AliceinWhorrorland VIC Posts: 95
20 5 Jul 2011
Maggie said:
Amy Rose said:
Maggie said:
I'm so sorry to hear that. It's a horrible disease. No rabbit deserves to go through it.

In the mean time, don't get another rabbit for a further 12 months, as the disease can hang around apparently, so the next rabbit will just get it too...
So sorry to hear about your loss, my bunny passed away as the vet came back into the room with the needle cry
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au