Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

One million toy bunnies to Myxo Minister

Save our pet bunnies from myxo

1 - 10 of 22 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Poppy Popstar Poppy Popstar VIC Posts: 37
1 30 Jan 2011
Thursday 3rd February 2011 marks the official start to the Chinese Year of the Rabbit.  

With all this rain we've had around Australia this summer, the mozzie population has multiplied to excess causing myxo to spread around the country killing thousands of domestic pet bunnies. Radical Rabbit are campaigning to demand the myxo vaccine to be available to our pet bunnies.

If the govt are so worried that vaccinated pet rabbits will somehow miraculously spread the immunity to wild rabbits, this is not so.  The wild rabbits already carry an immunity from decades of exposure to the disease.  Our pet rabbits have not had this exposure to this disease and 100% will die if infected.  There is no reason the govt could not allow the vaccine to be available to desexed pet rabbits if this is their main concern.

CAMPAIGN - We ask that anone who has a rabbit, lost a rabbit or knows someone who has lost a pet bunny to myxo to send a toy bunny and our letter (or your own note) to the Hon Joe Ludwig, Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry to demand the myxo vaccine for our pet bunnies.

Please visit the Radical Rabbit website for more information on the campaign, as well as an online petition we would love you to sign & support

www.radicalrabbit.org
ReplyQuote

bitchanca bitchanca VIC Posts: 117
2 30 Jan 2011
I got the fbook event about this the other week, and my mum and I are going to do it
we just need to get the toy bunnies happy
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
3 30 Jan 2011
Denying rabbits the right to a myxo vaccine is like denying dogs the right to a parvo vaccine. It's cruel and unfair.

I still miss my bunny who I lost to myxo. It was just such a horrible and horrendously cruel disease.
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
4 30 Jan 2011
Does myxo even work on wild rabbit populations anymore?
ReplyQuote

5 30 Jan 2011
Kirrilly said:
I think around 33% (and increasing) of the wild rabbit population are immune to the virus. Sooner or later the entire, or the vast majority, wild rabbit population will be immune to the virus and the virus will only kill domestic bunnies. (Like my Benji cry )
ReplyQuote

Shorty Shorty QLD Posts: 479
6 30 Jan 2011
Maggie said:
Kirrilly said:
I think around 33% (and increasing) of the wild rabbit population are immune to the virus. Sooner or later the entire, or the vast majority, wild rabbit population will be immune to the virus and the virus will only kill domestic bunnies. (Like my Benji cry )
Its just cruel to deny them the vaccine sad

Living in Queensland, we cant have rabbits so I don't know anyone personally who's rabbit has suffered but I'm still going try send one anyway.. do you mind if I write Benji on mine? I'm so sorry for your loss sad
ReplyQuote

7 30 Jan 2011
Shorty said:
Maggie said:
Kirrilly said:

Living in Queensland, we cant have rabbits so I don't know anyone personally who's rabbit has suffered but I'm still going try send one anyway.. do you mind if I write Benji on mine? I'm so sorry for your loss sad
I'd love you to write Benji on yours. I think he would like it too. He was the most loving bunny I'd met, and he loved life. I've got some pics of him on my profile.

And when you have a myxo bunny euthanised, his body must be burnt to stop the virus from spreading. So you don't get his remains back. sad
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
8 30 Jan 2011
Maggie said:
Shorty said:
Maggie said:
Kirrilly said:

I'd love you to write Benji on yours. I think he would like it too. He was the most loving bunny I'd met, and he loved life. I've got some pics of him on my profile.

And when you have a myxo bunny euthanised, his body must be burnt to stop the virus from spreading. So you don't get his remains back. sad
Eek, that's so sad sad How do they catch it? Is it in the air or do they have to come into contact with wild bunnies? It's such a horrible thing, sorry for your loss sad
ReplyQuote

9 30 Jan 2011
Kirrilly said:
Eek, that's so sad sad How do they catch it? Is it in the air or do they have to come into contact with wild bunnies? It's such a horrible thing, sorry for your loss sad
They get it from mosquitoes and fleas. Benjamin loved playing with the wallabies and pademelons, and they gave him fleas which were carrying the virus.
ReplyQuote

EarthDefender EarthDefender QLD Posts: 270
10 30 Jan 2011
I had a rabbit in qld for a couple of years til he died of a lung problem? Cancer? It was so hard to get help from vets cos he was illegal. We used to keep him in an enclosure covered in flyscreen. He was an awesome little dude and it makes me sad thinking about it now, even though he was before I got my cats 7 years ago...

It's so stupid, for him to 'escape', I don't know how he would've survived a day, let alone reproduce and overrun the suburbs with rabbits!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).