Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Working with meat.

1 - 10 of 19 posts   1 | 2  

ClosedEyeVisuals ClosedEyeVisuals NSW Posts: 11
1 30 Jan 2011
Hey everyone,

I work at a certain supermarket that sells meat products. We'll call it Culls Supermarket for now..

I'm a vegetarian, so naturally working in such an environment poses a bit of a problem. I have to handle meat every day at work, most of the customers buy some sort of animal derived product (by most I mean 99.9% roughly). I often end up with blood crusted into the cracks of my palm after a shift, and this is quite disturbing.

Does anyone else have a similar problem with their job? Do you find that handling meat in an environment where you're told to be nice to every customer is excruciatingly difficult? I have to put on a cheery, encouraging smile when a customer comments on the quality of their purchase and it's quite a bummer.

"Aw yearh that's some GOOD LAMB AYE MATE"

" happy Mhmm!.."

And the BBQ Chickens.They leave a slick of grease on the counter that I then have to scrub off. But there's rent to pay and mouths to feed, it's a dilemma.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
2 30 Jan 2011
You poor thing! That's why I don't have a job yet, I'm trying to find something carcass free. Maybe you could look for a new job?

Have you ever served someone buying tofu? I bet that would brighten your spirits! ecstatic
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
3 30 Jan 2011
I think Breadman used to work in Woolworths, though my memory is pretty bad, and had that same problem. Not sure where he is...
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
4 30 Jan 2011
i feel for you . can u possbly get a another job?

i dont have a job yet but this year i will be searching . im hoping nothing to do with food
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
5 31 Jan 2011
There is no way I could work with meat. I'm extremely emotionally sensitive and freak out easily.
You must be a strong person to handle that job!
strong
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
6 31 Jan 2011
Yeah I couldnt do it.

Im currently looking for a job but theres nothing available other than hospitality things. I just couldnt handle feeding the blind when they dont need.
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
7 31 Jan 2011
I've never had to work with meat but I honestly don't think I'd have too much of an issue handling it.. I ate meat for 15 years of my life, cooked it, cut it up, etc. and haven't really developed any sort of sensitivity to it. I can make my dinner right next to my mum cutting up a chicken and of course I think it's gross and sad but I don't have to leave the room of anything.
ReplyQuote

Alyssa Alyssa VIC Posts: 296
8 31 Jan 2011
I have the same problem. I work at Safeway as a cashier. It is upsetting to see customers come through with half a trolley filled up with meat products, but I just have to deal with it.
I have looked for other jobs and I continue to, but until I find another one, I need the income. I wouldn't be able to work in the deli, but being a cashier is tolerable for me. I rarely get any blood or anything spilt on me, so it's ok. I do get customers that come through with tofu nuggets and soy milk too, so that always brightens my day.
Unfortunately, it's a reality that others eat meat. It all just comes down to what you are comfortable with doing. If you can't handle working in a supermarket, definitely look for another job. Putting the meat aside, the customers are never very nice anyway! haha happy
ReplyQuote

Courtney_1 Courtney_1 VIC Posts: 335
9 31 Jan 2011
I wouldn't work at a supermarket mainly for that reason, I wouldn't want to handle meat, and to see all the meat that goes through the cash registers, I'd be disgusted.
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
10 31 Jan 2011
Courtney_ said:
I wouldn't work at a supermarket mainly for that reason, I wouldn't want to handle meat, and to see all the meat that goes through the cash registers, I'd be disgusted.
It is disgusting.. In an area like Western Sydney, you dont get alot of tofu or vegie delights coming through.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au