Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Man friendly vegan snackfood

1 - 10 of 10 posts

The Almighty Heatherzilla The Almighty Heatherzilla VIC Posts: 70
1 2 Mar 2011
I feel a little silly posting this but my brother is doing the 30 day vegan easy challenge (http://www.veganeasy.org if you haven't already seen it) and I have no idea what to feed him as healthy snack food. He's already devoured all the yummy baked goods I made a few days ago (cupcakes, muffins and brownies) and it's only day 2. I don't mind baking more but I need healthy food to feed him too. Apparently the things I like to snack on (veggie sticks, hummus) are all "girl food" or just too weird to try (soy yogurt and soy milk rolleyes ). Can anyone suggest some "man friendly" snack food he can try? He's used to just devouring several tins of tuna or whatever other available meat is around whenever he is hungry.
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
2 2 Mar 2011
you could try make vegan nut and seed bars?

in fact here is a recipe i used they were quite nice and so easy to make

1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup toasted pecans (cashews or walnuts)
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
1/4 cup hemp seeds or sesame seeds
1/4-1/3 cup raisins or dried apricots,chopped
3t bsp flax meal
1/4-1/3 cup thick honey alternative (brown rice syrup or barley malt)
2 tbsp cashew butter or almond butter
1/2-1 tsp blackstrap molasses
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp sea salt

in a large bowl combine the seeds nuts raisins and flax meal.
in a saucepan over medium to low heat combine the honey alternative, cashew or almond butter, molasses, cinnamon and salt
stir until it is just heated through and well combined(do not boil).
remover from heat and immediately add to the dry mixture stir through well.
transfer to a lightly oiled 8''x12'' baking dish or smaller for thicker bars.
press the mixture down (use a bit of baking paper to stop sticking to fingers) until evenly distributed.
refrigerate until completely cooled then cut however you want
freezes well
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
3 2 Mar 2011
I found these really amazing crunch snacks in the health food section of coles/woolies
I think they're called mrs. Mays? correct me if I'm wrong.

They're basically just little nut clusters held together with some cane sugar juice and a little sea salt, they taste amazing!
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
4 2 Mar 2011
Check out the health food section of Coles. They have tonnes of vegan muesli bars, and even the Sun Health Foods Apricot bar is vegan (but the Apricot and Coconut bar is NOT vegan).
ReplyQuote

asdfghjennn asdfghjennn United States Posts: 9
5 2 Mar 2011
First off, tell him to grow up at eat whole wheat pita with hummus. It's awesome, and not girly at all. You can let him know I said that. (;

As for other snacks, give the boy some vegetables. Frozen veggies are the greatest thing in the world and they take like 6 minutes to cook in a microwave. Make him some brown rice with black beans. You can buy vegan peanut butter, and his favourite jelly or some fresh bananas and make sandwiches. There is also vegan option of popcorn that is awesome. Ummmm going down the chip aisle you can usually pick out vegan chips. And if all else fails, get some raw nuts and almonds and stuff. Those are manly man foods, and they're super good for you and very filling (maybe he won't eat all the other food)!
ReplyQuote

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
6 2 Mar 2011
If all else fails make the boy a milkshake. Milkshakes are the beverage of gods.
ReplyQuote

EarthDefender EarthDefender QLD Posts: 270
7 3 Mar 2011
What a nice sister you are! Id be telling him to eff off and make his own food....buuut, I can see that you're trying to get him into something good.

Here's a recipe for nachos http://journey2crueltyfree.blogspot.com/2011/02/footy-foodvegan-nachos.html my bf, mum and dad all gobbled it all up and my bf is begging me to make them again...I has the power! Mwahahha!
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
8 3 Mar 2011
Unleashed Admin
A few things that don't take any prep:
Nuts
Trail mix
Muesli bars
Fruit
Carrots
Sanitarium soy sausages (I just eat these raw for a snack, but he might find that weird.)

A few things that take a small amount of prep:
Banana smoothies
Felafel wrap (wrap bread, tomato, lettuce, hommus, ready made felafels from coles/woolies) (or replace felafels with some legume, eg. chick peas)
Avocado and salsa on toast (my new favourite)
Wholemeal crumpets
Sandwiches
Lamyong Satay sticks: http://www.veganonline.com.au/whats-new/lamyong-satay-sticks

You could also make sure to cook up enough dinner to have leftovers, so that he's got that to snack on the following day.
ReplyQuote

katherooni katherooni SA Posts: 209
9 3 Mar 2011
Sauteed mushrooms on toast (with lots of nuttlex) on fresh spinach leaves
ReplyQuote

Catyren Catyren WA Posts: 542
10 4 Mar 2011
tell him to eat an apple or make himself a sandwich
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au