Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Jesus was a vegan!

11 - 15 of 15 posts   1 | 2  

Shonnie Shonnie NSW Posts: 237
11 6 Mar 2011
I've just taken a subject on the Bible through uni and just starting another one and to be honest I wouldn't be taking anything out of that Book as gospel. Read the Old Testament if you don't understand what I mean. It is full of rape, incest, human and animal sacrifice, slavery, cruelty, racism the list goes on.
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
12 6 Mar 2011
Shonnie said:
I've just taken a subject on the Bible through uni and just starting another one and to be honest I wouldn't be taking anything out of that Book as gospel. Read the Old Testament if you don't understand what I mean. It is full of rape, incest, human and animal sacrifice, slavery, cruelty, racism the list goes on.
Alot of people say that the bible is the living word of christ, if that is the case then why is there so many bad things in it? I've grown up in a church, we originally were very strict and took alot of things out of old testaments, these days its way more relaxed and they hold the view that the old testament isn't really relavent etc and they follow the new testament. But if this book is so holy then why does it have books filled with the extreme, immoral things in it, if  it was so holy, if god meant for this book to be a masterpeice of his then surely it would have been much better handled, with alot of it being passed down orally, being written, rewritten etc.

there are so many questions about it all.

one thing that gets me god saying that he gets jealous when we stray etc, but jealousy is a sin. He created a flood that killed millions of people, but killing is a sin.

also another thing! Humans and animals die. plant for the most part regenerate, grow etc. What would be the point of creating an animal like a cow that has a life span of 25 years when it's apparently made for us to eat...? a life is for living? do you know what I mean?
ReplyQuote

Shonnie Shonnie NSW Posts: 237
13 6 Mar 2011
Lars said:
Shonnie said:
Alot of people say that the bible is the living word of christ, if that is the case then why is there so many bad things in it? I've grown up in a church, we originally were very strict and took alot of things out of old testaments, these days its way more relaxed and they hold the view that the old testament isn't really relavent etc and they follow the new testament. But if this book is so holy then why does it have books filled with the extreme, immoral things in it, if  it was so holy, if god meant for this book to be a masterpeice of his then surely it would have been much better handled, with alot of it being passed down orally, being written, rewritten etc.

there are so many questions about it all.

one thing that gets me god saying that he gets jealous when we stray etc, but jealousy is a sin. He created a flood that killed millions of people, but killing is a sin.

also another thing! Humans and animals die. plant for the most part regenerate, grow etc. What would be the point of creating an animal like a cow that has a life span of 25 years when it's apparently made for us to eat...? a life is for living? do you know what I mean?
I think what a lot of people forget that originally the Bible was just meant to be  a record of what happened and a guideline on how to live. Not meant to be taken as the complete and entire word of "God" and worshiped like it has been.

It has also been rewritten, re-translated and manipulated to reflect what period in time that it was published. My grandmother has a Bible that was published in the 1780's and it is somewhat different to my Bible from last year.

Another fun fact is that it was composed several hundred years AFTER the death of Christ and like you said in the beginning was passed down through word of mouth. Now we all know what happens in a game of Chinese whispers don't we? For a good example look at the legend of  Robin Hood happy

Anyway *steps of my high horse* what I believe is that we should use the Bible, Koran, Book of Mormon etc etc all as guidelines on how to live. Take a little of each, create your own beliefs and live how you would like to live.
ReplyQuote

wild child2 wild child2 QLD Posts: 2638
14 7 Mar 2011
...a God who could make good children as easily a bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave his angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice, and invented hell--mouths mercy, and invented hell--mouths Golden Rules and forgiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people, and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites his poor abused slave to worship him!

Quote Mark Twain happy
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
15 7 Mar 2011
Veganism in 1AD? Haha.. Not in Middle East. Jesus would of probably sustained from eating excessively, like many buddhists ( he of course did not come in contact with any of them) but he still would of eaten meat, he needed the nutrients. People in our country tend to forget that in some places of the world it is impossible to be vegan and actually be healthy. Try living on a potato a week for months on end and see how healthy you feel. Plus many religions did view animals as lesser beings ands ok to eat. It does say in the bible God created them for us to eat.
Im an atheist Buddhist so I dont really take anything in the bible seriously. Its fairy tales in my opinion.

These are my favourite quotes for chirstianity.

Ghandi: "I like your Jesus, I do not like your christians as they are nothing like your jesus."

Sir David Attenborough:  "My response is that when Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things. But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind. And [I ask them], 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy'."
ReplyQuote

Next >
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au