Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

boarding school food

need some simple vegan one person recipies?

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

didgex didgex SA Posts: 19
1 21 Mar 2011
heey,
i have just recently told my boarding house caters that i am vegan, they asked me for a list of food recipies that i can eat, ive been trying to find some on the internet but am having trouble finding vegan meals for just one person as im the only vegan at my school/ in the boarding house.

so if anyone has any recipies or a link to a website, that would be great happy
thannnks,
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen United States Posts: 1012
2 21 Mar 2011
Unleashed Admin
That's wonderful that they will be accommodating, rather than just giving you the bread roll, salad and garnish! wink

What type of meals do they serve usually? And what type of meals do you enjoy?
ReplyQuote

3 21 Mar 2011
yeeah its great, umm, they already have a vegeterian option which varies most days, just the usual , pastas, stuffed capsicans, patato bakes and the usual vegeterian meals.
ReplyQuote

4 21 Mar 2011
Unleashed Admin
didgex said:
yeeah its great, umm, they already have a vegeterian option which varies most days, just the usual , pastas, stuffed capsicans, patato bakes and the usual vegeterian meals.
Good start! All those things are really easy to veganise if you have the right ingredients. You could go down the path of giving them the brand names of vegan cheeses, baking cream, etc (pasta bake is delicious with soy milk/tofutti cream cheese, herbs, etc). or if that's too much of a stretch there are always recipes that don't require any 'fake' ingredients (they are probably going to be healthier too!)

Veggie pasta is super easy, so is dahl, pizza (just add semi dried tomatoes, sauce instead of cheese) ... any vegan recipe can really be made for one person, if you reduce the ingredient volumes.. but if you're wanting recipes that they can cook quickly, maybe working out how to veganise their existing vegetarian range is an easy way to go...?
ReplyQuote

ShadowDoubt ShadowDoubt QLD Posts: 753
5 21 Mar 2011
same with me haha
ReplyQuote

6 21 Mar 2011
Karen said:
didgex said:
Good start! All those things are really easy to veganise if you have the right ingredients. You could go down the path of giving them the brand names of vegan cheeses, baking cream, etc (pasta bake is delicious with soy milk/tofutti cream cheese, herbs, etc). or if that's too much of a stretch there are always recipes that don't require any 'fake' ingredients (they are probably going to be healthier too!)

Veggie pasta is super easy, so is dahl, pizza (just add semi dried tomatoes, sauce instead of cheese) ... any vegan recipe can really be made for one person, if you reduce the ingredient volumes.. but if you're wanting recipes that they can cook quickly, maybe working out how to veganise their existing vegetarian range is an easy way to go...?
yeah ill give them a list of the alternatives to dairy and cooking products and let them no you can pritty much cook the vegeterian option just with the alternative to dairy and/or  just with out the egg or cheese on top ect.
thank you happy
ReplyQuote

7 21 Mar 2011
Unleashed Admin
Whee! happy I hope it works. Just make sure they do replace the animal ingredients with decent vegan ones.. else you might just end up with what everyone else has with bits taken out, and that might not be very healthy (or tasty)!

Hopefully the caterers know something about vegan nutrition.. and if not, you definitely should! http://whyveg.com/nutrition.php

Good luck!
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
8 22 Mar 2011
Type in Veganeasy on Google. Its an awesome website with HEAPS of recipes, including dinner, breakfast, lunch and dessert!!!!!!
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
9 22 Mar 2011
That's great they're providing you vegan food and even asking for your advice!

I think stick to products that are easily available in supermarkets (such as Fry's or Sanitarium) or tofu and soy milk/marg.

Some ideas:
- Lentil/veggie stews
- Curries/veggies/rice
- Pizza w/o cheese
- Fry's Schnitzel & veggies
- Veg Burgers
- Stirfrys/Veg/Tofu
- Veggie/Tofu Noodles
- Foccacia (roasted veggies)
- Veg Snags & veggies
- Veg Snag Rolls (sausage sizzle)
- Steamed veggie/rice
- Pasta (Napolitana/Arriabiata)
- Falafel Rolls
- Falafel balls with tabouli, hommos
- Roasted veggie stacks
- Roasted veggies
- Salads
- Cold pasta salads
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
10 22 Mar 2011
You can always look up tasty recipes, then divide the ingredients so they are for one person. peace IT's what I do most of the time, as I have to cook all my owns meals at home. Sometimes though, I will cook a couple big meals on Sunday, so they last throughout the week, maybe your boarding house might like to do that?
I recommend this site for tasty recipes. wink
http://www.theveggietable.com/
I went to boarding school last year, they weren't exactly very accomodating with dietry choices, so I'm super glad your school is! peace
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au