Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

First Timer Dairy Alternatives

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

Teegzie Teegzie QLD Posts: 28
1 5 Apr 2011
Ok, so I want to start making the change over from vegetarian to vegan but I'm not sure which substitute products to go for when it comes to dairy.

I remember trying Nuttelex at a friend's place when I was in high school (so we're talking 13-14 years ago now!) and finding the taste too strong and weird.Maybe it won't be as odd to me now though since surely my tastes have changes (I'd hope so after such a long time!).

So what do you guys reckon are the best dairy alternatives that aren't too strong tasteing for a first timer?
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
2 5 Apr 2011
Unleashed Admin
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
3 5 Apr 2011
Teegzie said:
I remember trying Nuttelex at a friend's place when I was in high school (so we're talking 13-14 years ago now!) and finding the taste too strong and weird.Maybe it won't be as odd to me now though since surely my tastes have changes (I'd hope so after such a long time!).
There are different types of Nuttelex - Original, Lite, Olive, Pulse (for lowering cholesterol).
I buy Lite, haven't tried the others. It tastes like normal/good quality margarine to me.
Buy a tub, give it a try. It's good stuff.

Congrats for going vegan!  clap
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
4 5 Apr 2011
I quite like nuttelex, you can't really taste any difference in baking or spreads. It does taste diff if you eat it by itself though. I think I even didn't like it at first, but now I love it and other omnis don't seem to notice or mind it either. (Especially used in frosting for cupcakes. tongue)

Milk is more personal, there are milks ppl like that I hate, I just kept trying diff types and brands until I found a good one. Once you're used to it, you love it too.

Eggs, pretty easy to live without eggs. But in baking and stuff, just use oil or apple sauce depending on the recipe.

I'm sure that link says good things, I found out all my info from those links and this forum. happy

Ice cream - so good has a soy icecream and toffuti has some too but they are harder to find than so good.

Cheese. Eh, it is something I've learnt to live without. I just don't like any of the vegan cheeses, though I have never tried it mixed in like with pasta or anything. I will try again next time I can get some cheezly for cheap.

Basically I'd make it easy for yourself. Don't put yourself under pressure, pick something new to try and try it and work forward from there.
ReplyQuote

5 5 Apr 2011
Tanyaka said:
Eggs, pretty easy to live without eggs. But in baking and stuff, just use oil or apple sauce depending on the recipe.
Apple sauce works so great, especially with stuff like banana bread. Yum.... now I'm hungry.

You can also mix ground flaxseed (linseed) with water for an egg replacement in cooking. It turns gooey and works great binding ingredients together, just like an egg.
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water = 1 egg replacement.

Flax seed is rich in Omega 3 EFAs too!
peace_out

EDIT: Sorry, I went off the subject of dairy alternatives.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
6 5 Apr 2011
nuttelex tastes just like margarine to me! =]
I reccomend So Good Lite Soy milk... it's quite tasty. =]
ReplyQuote

TofuUnleashed TofuUnleashed TAS Posts: 986
7 5 Apr 2011
Alright. Sorry if I repeat anything, can't be bothered reading everyone's posts. ashamed

Eggs
Baking: Ogran No Egg!
Scrambled Eggs: Tofu

Oh, dairy alternatives! Sorry...

Milk: So Good (I like the Essential one)
Icecream: SoGood
Yoghurt: Kingland
Cheese: I tried Cheezly but didn't like it, but everyone's different!
             Kingland make vegan cheese as well- I haven't tried it.
             For a cheesy sauce, a lot of recipes say nutritional yeast.
Butter
Baking: I use nuttelex-unfortunately it has palm oil in it, so I want to change to a different one, called Melrose.
Spread: I use avocado. Nom nom nom!pig

Chocolate: Sweet William (all vegan company)-choc chips, white choc, dark choc
                 Noble Choice-Dark Chocolate is vegan: Raspberry, almond, mint and plain flavours.

Hope this helps!

dance
ReplyQuote

TofuUnleashed TofuUnleashed TAS Posts: 986
8 5 Apr 2011
Tanyaka said:
I quite like nuttelex, you can't really taste any difference in baking or spreads. It does taste diff if you eat it by itself though. I think I even didn't like it at first, but now I love it and other omnis don't seem to notice or mind it either. (Especially used in frosting for cupcakes. tongue)
Yes, frosting! Yum! pig

Tanyaka said:
Cheese. Eh, it is something I've learnt to live without. I just don't like any of the vegan cheeses, though I have never tried it mixed in like with pasta or anything. I will try again next time I can get some cheezly for cheap.
Same. I remember being SO excited when I found a vegan cheese, but then I didn't like the taste. Now I'm just over cheese. happy It just makes me think of fatty ,greasy, yellow gloop. tongue
ReplyQuote

psychokitten psychokitten QLD Posts: 340
9 6 Apr 2011
Nuttelex Lite - seems to have the lightest taste, I don't like the olive one but I don't like olive oil

Vitasoy Ricemilk Protein Enriched - I use it on cereal and baking

So Good Chocolate "icecream"

Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese

Sweet William Chocolates - I prefer the taste of "sweet enough already" (reduced sugar, or no added sugar, whatever)

Vitasoy Soy Milky Chocolate "milk" - I really missed chocolate milk and this is creepily close to how I remember milk, it weirds me out it's so good
Does anyone else find that? The "pretend" version is too close to the thing it's replacing that you feel a bit creeped out or sick?
ReplyQuote

10 6 Apr 2011
psychokitten said:
Vitasoy Soy Milky Chocolate "milk" - I really missed chocolate milk and this is creepily close to how I remember milk, it weirds me out it's so good
Does anyone else find that? The "pretend" version is too close to the thing it's replacing that you feel a bit creeped out or sick?
Yeah, I felt the same with Soy Milky. So close to cows milk, it's creepy!
Mock meats creep me out sometimes too. We love the vegie delights mock bacon strips - but it creeps me out a little how much it smells and tastes like real bacon.
But it is good stuff really, because now my omni husband eats it instead of dead flesh bacon.
happy

Damn! Sorry... I've gone off the subject of dairy again.  ashamed2
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au