Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

My cat found a baby bird and brought it to me

What do I do now?

1 - 10 of 18 posts   1 | 2  

EarthDefender EarthDefender QLD Posts: 270
1 13 Apr 2011
Okay so normally my cats aren't out door cats, but i let him out while i was cleaning out my chooks house. Then he brings me this little baby pigeon/dove. He hadnt hurt it but i have no idea where he got it from. He didn't climb a tree because i only took my eyes off him for like 30 seconds. I've looked in all the trees around where we were and couldn't see a nest.

So what are my options? The bird is one of those little dove things (i know its not a native but i dont think it should be condemed because of what it was born sad)

Ive currently got it in a shoe box with a towel in a warm spot.
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
2 13 Apr 2011
Um, go to your local pet store and tell them your situation. Ask them what you can feed the bird, and do some research on doves! But keep it warm!

If your cat found it on the ground, then it either is a fledgling, or it was pushed out of the nest. I know with my zebra finches, that once zebras fledge, unless they don't fly, they don't go back up to the nest. Depending its age, it might actually be a fledgling, and it might fly off anyway. But I don't know, unless you post a pic.

If you are really worried, take it into a vet, and ask for help. Knowing vets, they will only put it down, because what are they going to do with a non-native bird? Ask them how to look after the bird.

Good luck, and I hope the birdie is ok! happy
ReplyQuote

psychokitten psychokitten QLD Posts: 340
3 13 Apr 2011
I'd call your local vet. They often have all the contact numbers for wildlife carers.

My vet will take any wild animal in and have a carer come pick it up.
ReplyQuote

4 13 Apr 2011
Pegs said:
Um, go to your local pet store and tell them your situation. Ask them what you can feed the bird, and do some research on doves! But keep it warm!

If your cat found it on the ground, then it either is a fledgling, or it was pushed out of the nest. I know with my zebra finches, that once zebras fledge, unless they don't fly, they don't go back up to the nest. Depending its age, it might actually be a fledgling, and it might fly off anyway. But I don't know, unless you post a pic.

If you are really worried, take it into a vet, and ask for help. Knowing vets, they will only put it down, because what are they going to do with a non-native bird? Ask them how to look after the bird.

In my experience, pet shop workers have no idea about animals. I know its not always the case and I'm not hating on them, but they're there to sell you the right product. They have extensive product knowledge, not the kind to rear a wild bird.

It would have to be a really heartless vet to do that. And even then the bird would have to be on deaths door. Vets have a duty of care to all animals, regardless of where they're from or what they are.

If your vet put things down as easily as that you need a new one.
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
5 13 Apr 2011
I took a baby magpie to Mooroolbark vet once and the vet said it would be taken in for xrays, rehabilitated, etc. I was really surprised to be honest, I just thought they wouldn't care much.
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
6 13 Apr 2011
It is heartless but legally thats what vets should do. If it is a dove then it could be native. You need to keep the bird warm, do you have a hot water bottle? If not heat up an old bottle and cover it in towels- I'd use milk in the bottle as it says warmer for longer.

How young is the bird? You're going to need to feed it- wombaroo is the best place to grab bird food. http://www.wombaroo.com.au/
I believe you should give it granivore though Im not too sure
http://www.wombaroo.com.au/granivores.htm
You can't give it normal bird food, don't try. Its just a chick.
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
7 13 Apr 2011
psychokitten said:
Pegs said:

In my experience, pet shop workers have no idea about animals. I know its not always the case and I'm not hating on them, but they're there to sell you the right product. They have extensive product knowledge, not the kind to rear a wild bird.

It would have to be a really heartless vet to do that. And even then the bird would have to be on deaths door. Vets have a duty of care to all animals, regardless of where they're from or what they are.

With asking the pet shop, I sorta meant ask them what would be the best food for the birdie! I know many pet store people are quite clueless about keeping animals. I bought a zebra finch (who was clearly a male) and she said "nah, she's a girl, cause of the beak" When you actually tell the gender of zebras by the stripes on their chest.

As for the vet, yes, it does happen. If it was a native bird, they would care for it, but a non-native? No. My vets aren't heartless, they just think…differently.
ReplyQuote

8 13 Apr 2011
[quote]

[/quote]

Thats not entirely true- legally a vet can not save a pest knowing that it will be released into the wild. Our top priority is our native animals. Its the same with WIRES- if we get a pest we have to get it euthanased at the vets.
ReplyQuote

9 13 Apr 2011
Can you please take a photo of the bird so I can check my book to see if its native or not?
ReplyQuote

10 13 Apr 2011
Hedwig said:
Thats not entirely true- legally a vet can not save a pest knowing that it will be released into the wild. Our top priority is our native animals. Its the same with WIRES- if we get a pest we have to get it euthanased at the vets.
Well there you go, I learned something today.

I do understand the logic but it still seems awful, especially in cases like this.

I know you have to draw the line somewhere.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au