Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

My cat found a baby bird and brought it to me

What do I do now?

11 - 18 of 18 posts   1 | 2  

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
11 13 Apr 2011
It's like when I used to go fishing(yuck) with my dad, if you caught a toadfish you were supposed to kill it rather than throw it back, but dad always let me throw them back in, hah. If I were a vet I'd save "pest" animals, even if it had to be on the down-low.
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
12 13 Apr 2011
Kirrilly said:
It's like when I used to go fishing(yuck) with my dad, if you caught a toadfish you were supposed to kill it rather than throw it back, but dad always let me throw them back in, hah. If I were a vet I'd save "pest" animals, even if it had to be on the down-low.
I'd do the same, but I'd keep them in large enclosures, and wouldn't let them go, because they cause trouble to our native animals. But I'd look after them though, you reckon?
ReplyQuote

wild child2 wild child2 QLD Posts: 2638
13 13 Apr 2011
Hedwig said:
Thats not entirely true- legally a vet can not save a pest knowing that it will be released into the wild. Our top priority is our native animals. Its the same with WIRES- if we get a pest we have to get it euthanased at the vets.
[/quote]

That's so horrible. Native or not it's still a life just as valuable as the other. The biggest non-native pest to Australia is Europeans !!! We don't go around euthanising people though do we...
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
14 13 Apr 2011
wild child2 said:
Hedwig said:
Thats not entirely true- legally a vet can not save a pest knowing that it will be released into the wild. Our top priority is our native animals. Its the same with WIRES- if we get a pest we have to get it euthanased at the vets.
That's so horrible. Native or not it's still a life just as valuable as the other. The biggest non-native pest to Australia is Europeans !!! We don't go around euthanising people though do we...
[/quote]

I know its horrible, and honestly I dont agree. We're hand raising an indian minor at TAFE but he's now a pet, he wont be released. He has a great life though.
But the most common pest we get in WIRES (and this is true) is a rat. As people think its a possum in their roof.
ReplyQuote

15 13 Apr 2011
This story is so ironic, our poor little crippled Scooter this morning caught a baby turtle dove, we got it off him (as he's usually supervised outside) just in time and only feathers had been pulled, no blood was drawn. He was in shock and wouldn't fly so I nursed him against my warm belly inside my dressing gown for 45 minutes and then I set him free and off he flew. Scooter is a bit slow I think he only caught him because it was still early morning and the birds were all still a bit quiet/slow. I put 5 extra bells on his collar today.. overkill? lol

We have alot of turtle doves in our yard eating our hens food. I love them.

But if I were you I would by pass the vet - find a local wildlife carer in your local phone book and contact them.

Did it look either of these?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2444/3821205880_d68db4488c.jpg

http://www.ozanimals.com/image/albums/australia/Bird/normal_N_Tilcheff-SpottedTurtleDove_01.jpg
ReplyQuote

16 13 Apr 2011
Hedwig said:
wild child2 said:
Hedwig said:
I know its horrible, and honestly I dont agree. We're hand raising an indian minor at TAFE but he's now a pet, he wont be released. He has a great life though.
But the most common pest we get in WIRES (and this is true) is a rat. As people think its a possum in their roof.
[/quote]

I feed the rats in our shed strawberries.. probably not a good idea but they are so cute happy and all our food etc is secure we've never had 'issues' with them as such.

I love Indian Mynas too, everyone always shooo's them off at the local cafe which I don't understand. I love all birds 'pest' or native.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
17 13 Apr 2011
This happened to me once. I took the baby bird to a wildlife centre. Unfortunately cat saliva has a bacteria in it which is fatal to baby birds. My baby bird died as a result.
ReplyQuote

EarthDefender EarthDefender QLD Posts: 270
18 13 Apr 2011
wild child2 said:
This story is so ironic, our poor little crippled Scooter this morning caught a baby turtle dove, we got it off him (as he's usually supervised outside) just in time and only feathers had been pulled, no blood was drawn. He was in shock and wouldn't fly so I nursed him against my warm belly inside my dressing gown for 45 minutes and then I set him free and off he flew. Scooter is a bit slow I think he only caught him because it was still early morning and the birds were all still a bit quiet/slow. I put 5 extra bells on his collar today.. overkill? lol

We have alot of turtle doves in our yard eating our hens food. I love them.

But if I were you I would by pass the vet - find a local wildlife carer in your local phone book and contact them.

Did it look either of these?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2444/3821205880_d68db4488c.jpg

http://www.ozanimals.com/image/albums/australia/Bird/normal_N_Tilcheff-SpottedTurtleDove_01.jpg
Awesome! Cos I had no idea how to get a photo up. It's the second link. I've hears my vet uncle say that they are pests and he would ring their necks...he's a effwit...

I rescued a possum that looked like it might've been attacked by a cat or another possum and I kept it warm for a day and fed it and stuff and then called people from a wild life cater place ( they were my sisters friends). Anyway I asked how the possum was going and they said they put it down cos it had dermatitis?! 'it was just a possum anyway' they said...'there's plenty of them around'...assholes!

So now I'm a bit reluctant to hand over animalssad
ReplyQuote

Next >
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au