Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Activists to Protest Circus in Queanbeyan - Poll to ban animals in circuses.

Please vote to ban!

1 - 10 of 17 posts   1 | 2  

Catty-corner Catty-corner SA Posts: 111
1 14 Apr 2011
http://www.care2.com/news/member/733080588/2776559

This sneaky circus has set up camp in Queanbeyan to avoid the scrutiny of ACT laws that prohibit circuses using exotic animals such as monkeys, bears, elephants, giraffes and lions.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
2 14 Apr 2011
Last time an animal circus came to Tassie there was a huge protest, and they had to leave. All circuses say that their animals are well looked after, but if zoos can't even look after animals properly, then there's no way a circus could even hope to.

Glad to see the majority vote is in favour of banning exotic animals, too bad it's so close!
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
4 14 Apr 2011
My issue is the fact that everyone has an issue with exotic animals in circuses, what about all the other animals that are stuck in there? sad
ReplyQuote

5 14 Apr 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
My issue is the fact that everyone has an issue with exotic animals in circuses, what about all the other animals that are stuck in there? sad
I'm against all animals in circuses. There's a circus just for cats, it's horrible.
ReplyQuote

wild child2 wild child2 QLD Posts: 2638
6 14 Apr 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
I don't agree with any animals being used for entertainment.

However, I would assume Exotic animals suffer more in captivity, dogs & horses for example have been domesticated for thousands of years, they have adapted to our lifestyles. (A domesticated dog wouldn't have much hope in the 'wild') there really is no natural environment anymore for them. These lions are only 10th generation captivity bred - they are genetically still very wild animals, with strong wild instincts, studies have proven they are the least suitable of all species to life within circuses.

I would also imagine there are very different 'training methods' required to get a dog to do a cute trick than there is to get a Lion (that see's you as a food source) to do a trick for you.
ReplyQuote

wild child2 wild child2 QLD Posts: 2638
7 14 Apr 2011
I know some of you have already read this but this is the letter I wrote to my local Mayor & Councillors and also the local paper - which they published. It's my take on the Lennon Brothers...

I am writing to express my strong disagreement with the attendance of Lennon ...Brothers Circus on Fraser Coast Council land last week.

There are now approximately 45 Councils in Australia that have supported a ban of Exotic Animal Circuses and I strongly believe the Fraser Coast Council should take responsibility for the publics misinformation and join this list. All councils that have supported the ban have received strong public support and applaud. Courage, foresight & leadership are needed to help set a benchmark for animal welfare in Queensland.

National, regional and local governments in at least 30 countries have also already banned the use of exotic or all animals in circuses.

Most people that attend animal circuses don't stop to think about the lifestyle the animals they enjoy watching 'perform' face for the mere sake of their entertainment.

Exotic circus animals specifically in relation to the Lennon Brothers Circus - Lions & Monkeys - lead a deprived and oppressed life in the circus.

They are transported from city to city every few days in small barren cages, further kept in confined, small fenced areas upon arrival - nothing replicable of their natural environments and at night are required to perform unnatural tricks in front of bright lights and a cheering audience in fear of being disciplined.

A friend of mine recently attended the Lennon Brothers Circus in Gympie. She was very excited about taking her eldest daughter to see 'A Real Live Lion'.
Days after the show I received an email from her explaining that she was disgusted in the Lennon Brothers show and has vowed to never attend another Animal Circus again.

She said that the Trainer in the circus ring had two 'performing' Lions with him and held a baton with a hook on the end that they would attach meat to. However, when the baton was raised the Lions flinched and squinted as if they expected to be hit. The older Lion was agreeable and performed as instructed. A younger Lion was not so happy to oblige and became aggressive, roaring and lashing out towards the Trainer.

My friend stated she became quite disturbed watching these Lions clearly being exploited before her eyes & was embarrassed that she had subjected her daughter to such disrespectful behaviour towards these beautiful animals. Five men appeared in the ring to take the angry Lion away and the show was finished prematurely.

In 2001 at a packed Lennon Brothers Show in Penrith, NSW, three Lions attacked their Trainer in front of a packed crowd. Children & Adults alike left terrorised. When asked why the Lions would attack Mr Lennon replied "I have no idea why they would attack." We think he surely does.

These animals do not exist for the entertainment of the public. Abuse against circus animals has been well documented and although RSPCA has never had to take action against Lennon Brothers, I feel this is because the current law allows conditions such as constant transportation, confinement and social deprivation to be overlooked.

RSPCA and Animal Liberation Queensland have however been campaigning for the outlaw of such Circuses and more council support is needed to assist in ending this outdated industry.
The RSPCA's policy is based on the fact that no circus, no matter how well managed, can provide an appropriate environment for wild animals & reviews* carried out have proven that the current non-domesticated species used in circuses are the least suited to coping with circus life.

Actual training is never carried out in visibility of the public and upon inspections from the RSPCA the animals 'training' that is exhibited is a mere rehearsal.

Why would these Lions work for food when the person instructing them is food? These animals must surely need to be dominated at some point by their Trainers.
Lennon Brothers argue that there Lions are bred in captivity therefore being transported and caged constantly is acceptable - you can take a Lion out of the wild, you can breed it for generations in captivity, but you cannot take the wild out of the Lion. This fact has even been admitted by Jan Lennon from Lennon Brothers Circus when she proclaimed "There's always the wild animal in them”.
Despite misinformed opinions, Lions & other exotic animals bred for circuses do not help conservation; these animals are not bred to be released into the wild, only to become future slaves for human enjoyment.
I think if these animals had a choice, being confined and trained to perform their entire life would not be a life they would choose. These animals don’t have a voice, so we need to take responsibility to ensure our region is not contributing to this out-dated and cruel practice.
Letting economic factors influence your decision is not the way to tackle this issue – It should be a matter of whether this is right or wrong and all evidence supports the latter.

Banning exotic animal circuses in our region sets an example for our children of empathy, compassion & respect for all walks of life.
The famous, intelligent Author & philosopher, Peter Singer had it right when he said:
“When children see animals in a circus, they learn that animals exist for our amusement. Quite apart from the cruelty involved in training and confining these animals, the whole idea that we should enjoy the humiliating spectacle of an elephant or lion made to perform circus tricks shows a lack of respect for the animals as individuals”.

Non-animal circuses are, in my opinion, much more entertaining than watching an animal without a choice be exploited. Pierre Parisien from the breathtaking human performing Cirque Du Soleil Circus has said “We will never have animals in our shows. They are animals not performers, they should be in the jungle.”
Cirque Du Soleil is a perfect example of how times are changing returning annual revenue of $810million.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and I hope that you can present this issue in its true light to the council and make a responsible decision whether allowing the attendance of an exotic animal circus on council land for the sake of some short-lived insulting entertainment is worth the price that is duly paid by these innocent animals.

Perceived entertainment for some is no excuse for proven cruelty to many.
ReplyQuote

8 14 Apr 2011
Maggie said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:
I'm against all animals in circuses. There's a circus just for cats, it's horrible.
Aw I wasn't meaning people on this forum, just people in general
ReplyQuote

9 14 Apr 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Maggie said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Aw I wasn't meaning people on this forum, just people in general
Haha, yes I knew that! tongue It just brought this to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlKYtLlvRlU

I tried to train my cat to walk on a leash like a dog when I first got him. All I got was the 'log roll' and growling. He's a super intelligent cat, but training him was extrememly difficult because he didn't like it. So I think these cats must have endured a lot of unhappiness to get to this point, and to me, they don't look like happy cats...

(I never did end up training him, I just got him used to wearing a collar, so when he goes outside on the leash he just does his own thing.)
ReplyQuote

10 14 Apr 2011
wild child2 said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:
I don't agree with any animals being used for entertainment.

However, I would assume Exotic animals suffer more in captivity, dogs & horses for example have been domesticated for thousands of years, they have adapted to our lifestyles. (A domesticated dog wouldn't have much hope in the 'wild') there really is no natural environment anymore for them. These lions are only 10th generation captivity bred - they are genetically still very wild animals, with strong wild instincts, studies have proven they are the least suitable of all species to life within circuses.

I would also imagine there are very different 'training methods' required to get a dog to do a cute trick than there is to get a Lion (that see's you as a food source) to do a trick for you.
I still don't think that makes it any more right.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au