Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Near misses?

Even if you've been vegan for years like me, things still sneak up on you!

1 - 10 of 17 posts   1 | 2  


Buttons Buttons VIC Posts: 229
1 21 Apr 2011
I know we often post about what is or isn't vegan, but thought it would be interesting to post about the last non-vegan thing we accidentally ate/almost ate.

My SO  bought some oreos home for me. I pulled out one of the strawberry ones. Was about to eat it, but I checked the box and Bam! Cochineal. I've been noticing it a lot more in some "fancier" soft drinks  as well.
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
2 21 Apr 2011
It sucks when these things happen but it's good for keeping us on our toes about checking ingredients

My last mishap was last week, I bought a big bag of smiths sweet chili crisps, when i nearly finished the packet i looked at the back just to double check the ingredients as they were always fine, but cochineal had been added to the ingredients.....you know.. because labeling things "natural ingredients" makes people think it's better for you.

that will teach me for being a glutton. and not checking every time
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
3 21 Apr 2011
Haha. I had a little panic attack yesterday when the girl who made my soy latte heated the milk so well I thought it was dairy milk. tongue But the soy-y colour and smell calmed me back down.

o.O I have a sneaking suspicion I'd be violently sick if I drank dairy milk anyway.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
4 21 Apr 2011
My two biggest errs:

-Continental tomato soup.
Finished a cup then realised it was no longer vegan... they changed the recipe and snuck milk in! Grrrr......

-Lowie Rocky Road
Egg/dairy/nut free and no mention of gelatine so ate it. The next day I emailed them to confirm it was vegan and they said it contains gelatine. Sometimes reading labels isn't enough! Grrr.....
ReplyQuote

Gen_MCRmy Gen_MCRmy NSW Posts: 55
5 21 Apr 2011
ckimana said:
My two biggest errs:

-Continental tomato soup.
Finished a cup then realised it was no longer vegan... they changed the recipe and snuck milk in! Grrrr......

-Lowie Rocky Road
Egg/dairy/nut free and no mention of gelatine so ate it. The next day I emailed them to confirm it was vegan and they said it contains gelatine. Sometimes reading labels isn't enough! Grrr.....
Oh no! I thought those rocky roads were vegan too. How can they not know that gelatine is beef fat though? rolleyes
ReplyQuote

KittyLover KittyLover VIC Posts: 281
6 21 Apr 2011
The cook at work (  I work in Child care )  made a spinach and ricotta pie for the kids, We have a few kids who are allergic to dairy so she uses soy cheese for those kids. The cook offered me some and said it's ok to eat because it's soy cheese, so I looked at the ingredients and it has milk in it!!!
ReplyQuote

Contreras Contreras NSW Posts: 349
7 21 Apr 2011
Genevieve12 said:
ckimana said:
My two biggest errs:

-Continental tomato soup.
Finished a cup then realised it was no longer vegan... they changed the recipe and snuck milk in! Grrrr......

-Lowie Rocky Road
Egg/dairy/nut free and no mention of gelatine so ate it. The next day I emailed them to confirm it was vegan and they said it contains gelatine. Sometimes reading labels isn't enough! Grrr.....
Oh no! I thought those rocky roads were vegan too. How can they not know that gelatine is beef fat though? rolleyes
If they don't list any gelling agent for something like rocky road then you have to ask the company, it should be labeled though.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
8 21 Apr 2011
Genevieve12 said:
ckimana said:
My two biggest errs:

-Continental tomato soup.
Finished a cup then realised it was no longer vegan... they changed the recipe and snuck milk in! Grrrr......

-Lowie Rocky Road
Egg/dairy/nut free and no mention of gelatine so ate it. The next day I emailed them to confirm it was vegan and they said it contains gelatine. Sometimes reading labels isn't enough! Grrr.....
Oh no! I thought those rocky roads were vegan too. How can they not know that gelatine is beef fat though? rolleyes
I emailed them the end of last year and they said they were in the process of using agar to make it vegan. Not sure where they're up to though, if you want to contact them?
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
9 21 Apr 2011
I made another oops today, but on purpose, I went and donated blood, they gave us all an easter chocolate which i was going to give to my mum instead. After you donate you're supposed to wait around, eat something etc but they didn't have anything vegan except juice so i ate the chocolate in the car so i wouldn't blackout and hit people on my way home.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
10 21 Apr 2011
KittyLover said:
The cook at work (  I work in Child care )  made a spinach and ricotta pie for the kids, We have a few kids who are allergic to dairy so she uses soy cheese for those kids. The cook offered me some and said it's ok to eat because it's soy cheese, so I looked at the ingredients and it has milk in it!!!
Well that's just stupid on the cooks part. If these kids are allergic to milk..... *sigh*
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au