Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

What are your '9 meals'?

Or do you have more or less?

1 - 10 of 39 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Ellim Ellim United Kingdom Posts: 480
1 24 Apr 2011
On another forum I am on, we have been looking at the meals that members' households regularly have.  It started from a study in the UK that discovered that households really only have nine regular meals in their rotation.  There is an article about it here: http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/report_average-uk-mum-relies-on-9-recipes-to-feed-family_1312565

So - seeing as the thread in the other forum is filled with meaty-cheesy-milky meals, I thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys: What are you 'regular' meals - do you have 9?  More?  Less?  I could use the inspiration to expand my own recipe base!  

My '9 meals' are:
1. Homemade gnocchi, with a simple sauce.  Usually potato gnocchi, but sometimes also pumpkin or sweet potato.
2. Pizza - my husband could not live without it!  We usually make them at home.  He has cheese and tomato; I have (usually) tomato, semi-sun dried tomato, black and green olives, jalapenos, artichoke hearts.  Sometimes I have asparagus.
3. Pasta - of all varieties, with a roast-tomato and fresh basil sauce.
4. Vege burgers.  I make a few different kinds: 'meaty' ones with TVP, beany ones, diced veges in mashed potato and sweet potato.  Piled onto fresh bakery rolls with HEAPS of salad and, sometimes, oven baked chips.
5. Dahl.  Enough said.
6. Tofu curries - I do a few different ones, but mainly things I can make both mild (for husband) and hot (for me).  I like masalas.  Sometimes we do peas and potato instead of tofu.
7. Vegan mac-and-cheese.  Husband (who still eats cheese) prefers it to dairy mac-and-cheese.
8. Lentil Shepherds Pie.  
9. Lentil pies.  Very occasionally we have 'chicken' pies (husband really likes the faux-chicken, but I don't so much so it's a special occasion meal for him.)
10. Stew.  Big hearty lovely stew with lots of yummy winter vegetables.
11. Roast - heaps of roast veges with a nut loaf - usually walnut.  Always homemade!
12. Minestrone soup.
13. Burritos!  
14. Salads.  Of various types.

That's all I can really think of that's in my regular (once a month at least) rotation.  I do, usually, try a new recipe at least once a week.  Some of my regular (and not regular!) recipes over at my blog: http://thoughtfulkitchen.wordpress.com/

So - what are your regular meals?
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
2 24 Apr 2011
this is cool, I love finding iut what other people make as it gives me ideas.

1. Red lentil dhal  w/ garlic papadams
2. Fried mushroom polenta with gravy
3. General Tao's Tofu
4. Jamie Oliver's lemon and asparagus risotto
5. mac n Cheez
6. Mexican beans on quinoa
7.mexican burritos
8. microwave chocolate
9. gnocci..i need to get used to making it properly
ReplyQuote

TheSixthStitch TheSixthStitch Aruba Posts: 988
3 24 Apr 2011
Main dinner meals (usually 7) and not an exhaustive list:
1. Vegie burgers, steamed veggies and mashed poh-ta-toes (...mash em, boil em, stick em in a stew)
2. Pasta with garlic, mushrooms, basil leaves, capsicum, tomatoes, oregano, baby spinach, red lentils, pasta sauce, accompanied with a side of salad that has avocado, baby spinach, cucumber and tomato drizzled in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Occasionally we throw some some red wine into the pasta which adds the O factor
3. Minestrone
4. Chick-pea curry (one of our favs)
5. Vegie and tofu stirfry dunked in soy sauce and occasionally sweet chilli sauce.
6. Coconut cream curry with veggies, tofu and sweet poh-ta-to.
7. Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Masala
8. Basil pesto pasta with pine nuts, broccoli, and baby spinach leaf.
9. Variation soup (see what's left in the cupboard!)

Things we used to cook all the time but haven't in a while:
African Peanut Stew (this was the bomb)
Pizza
Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni (replacing the ricotta with tofu) <--- this too was the bomb)    

Breakfast!
I cook a mean porridge. Chopped banana, saltanas/raisins with a sprinkle of cinnamon for good measure (cinnamon makes lots of food smell great!)
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
4 24 Apr 2011
1. Vege Burgers - Not burger, lettuce, cucumber, carrot, beetroot, avocado, onion, bread rolls and tomato sauce.
2. Sweet and Sour 'Chicken' - sweet and sour stir fry sauce, Fry's chicken style strips, 1 capsicum, 1 carrot, and 1 onion - served with rice. This is so easy to make and all my omni friends who I have made it for just rave about how good it tastes =)
3. Vegetable fried rice with spring rolls
4. Nutmeat rissoles
5. Spaghetti bolognese using sanitarium mince
6. Felafel Kebabs
7. Tacos
8. Shepherds pie using sanitarium mince
9. Scrambled Tofu (I only started making this last week, but it is definitely going to become a regular meal)

Now its coming onto winter pumpkin soup will become a regular meal too wink
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
5 24 Apr 2011
1, enchiladas
2, shepherds pie
3, pumpkin soup
4, bangas and mash
5, roast
6, Mcvegan burgers
7, vege burgers
8, chickpea curry
9, avocado sushi

And all the recipes I think are blog worthy end up here http://thecompassionatecook.blogspot.com/

xD
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
6 24 Apr 2011
I'm very unimaginative when it comes to cooking. I'd rather eat out personally. I usually find that I eat healthier (ie more vegies and tofu) when I eat Thai or Chinese etc. I know that's not exactly healthy, but for me it is considering I'm quite lazy with food.

So.....
1. Lemongrass with tofu, vegies and chilli from Sri Thai ( I get it quite often)
2. Fried bean curd with mixed vegies (no oyster sauce) from West Lake Chinese Restaurant
3. Tofu and vegies in peanut sauce from The Windsor Thai Palace
4. Falafel kebab
5. Mixed vegies in curry sauce - Indian

I do eat in as well, but it's usually when my b/f cooks. Mainly stir frys with tofu and vegies, and breakfast is toast with capsicum, mushrooms, and tomatoes.

Haven't been home in a while so I've been eating out a lot more than I should...
ReplyQuote

7 24 Apr 2011
EJay said:
That's all I can really think of that's in my regular (once a month at least) rotation.  I do, usually, try a new recipe at least once a week.  Some of my regular (and not regular!) recipes over at my blog: http://thoughtfulkitchen.wordpress.com/

Ejay, I just checked out your most recent post on your blog, can I ask you why you peel your mushrooms!? My old room mate used to do it and it drove me nuts, I used to make her keep all the peeled mushroom skin and I'd use it in my enchiladas tongue

Skins are the best part of the vegetable!!!
ReplyQuote

ok ok NSW Posts: 232
8 24 Apr 2011
Lars said:
this is cool, I love finding iut what other people make as it gives me ideas.

1. Red lentil dhal  w/ garlic papadams
2. Fried mushroom polenta with gravy
3. General Tao's Tofu
4. Jamie Oliver's lemon and asparagus risotto
5. mac n Cheez
6. Mexican beans on quinoa
7.mexican burritos
8. microwave chocolate
9. gnocci..i need to get used to making it properly
I like 8
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
9 24 Apr 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
EJay said:

Ejay, I just checked out your most recent post on your blog, can I ask you why you peel your mushrooms!? My old room mate used to do it and it drove me nuts, I used to make her keep all the peeled mushroom skin and I'd use it in my enchiladas tongue

Skins are the best part of the vegetable!!!
I peel too... it's to get rid of the dirt and whatever pesticides it may have etc. Plus, I'm always wary of random people touching mushrooms at the supermarket...germaphobe.
I know that washing them under water is an alternative but I don't like getting mushrooms wet.
ReplyQuote

10 24 Apr 2011
sarahbentvelzen said:
I peel too... it's to get rid of the dirt and whatever pesticides it may have etc. Plus, I'm always wary of random people touching mushrooms at the supermarket...germaphobe.
I know that washing them under water is an alternative but I don't like getting mushrooms wet.
I just can't bring myself to do it, I just wash all my vegetables.

If you've got issues with people touching the mushrooms, have you ever considered buying one of those mushroom boxes for like $14 and growing your own? I have but I honestly don't think they'd grow fast enough for me :3
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).