Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Feral cat's

Has anyone noticed the large numbers in Sydney's inner west?

1 - 5 of 5 posts

James misty calvaruso James misty calvaruso NSW Posts: 77
1 21 May 2011
Hey guys I have recently seen large numbers of feral cats around Sydney's inner west and am really sad for them. I am not exactly sure what to do about it, I have tried convincing mu mother to let me catch some and take them to the RSPCA so at least they can have a chance at finding a loving family. I know this may all be a bit random but every time I see them I just want to help them out sad

Anyway I just thought that I would raise the issue as the numbers are generally large around some Industrial areas of Canterbury and around the area. Any Ideas on what could be done to help decrease the numbers of feral cats in the suburbs, they all need a loving, caring and especially a home that is free traffic and the rest.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance guys
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
2 21 May 2011
Hey James,

We have a very similar problem out here- especially near St Marys. What a few have us have done before is hire humane cat traps from the council, animal shelter or Kennards. We then take them to the vet and get them desexed (much easier if you know a vet who will do it for cheap or for free)

Unfortunately due to a short number of foster carers, there's not many we can trap and desex and there's enough in the shelters already that we don't want to take them there.

We have asked Penrith council numerous times as well as other council areas to do a mandatory desexing drive- even if the cats are released back atleast it will make some sort of difference. We are also trying to make all pounds and shelters in Australia to have mandatory desexing.

If you do trap a cat you will definately need to get them vet checked as feline AIDS is quite rampant.
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
3 21 May 2011
yeah I have noticed too, there is a family of cats living in the drain system on the corner of my street. I've also noticed lots of kitties in Burwood and Croyden.

i'm alll for mandatory desexing!
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
4 21 May 2011
Yeah, I think the only way to control the number of homeless pussy cats is to have the ALL de-sexed. That should be law. "Unless you are a qualified breeder, any dog/cat/rabbit you own MUST be de-sexed"

If only, if only…
ReplyQuote

ELPIDA HOPE ELPIDA HOPE NSW Posts: 1
5 12 Feb 2016
I would like some assistance in catching two stray cats in the strathfield area, happy to pay the person doing, what I would like to do is catch these two beautiful stray cats, have them vacinated, registered and taken to my new home, unfortunately they were at my old address and I have not been able to catch them, my heart breaks because one of them only has three legs and it moves well, but these two would do really well in my home envirnoment, is there any chance someone can email me on or call me on 0405 266 586

Kind Regards

Hope Hill
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au