Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

What angers me about the jumps racing debate.

1 - 3 of 3 posts

JaimieCS JaimieCS VIC Posts: 363
1 23 May 2011
Two things:

1) Jumps racing is a very small portion of the racing industry. It is not 'worse' than flat racing, in terms of the treatment of the horses, the injuries sustained or the industry it supports, it's just more easily condemned because it's shortcomings are more visible. The racing industry allows jumps racing to be targeted and look vulnerable because it takes the heat off them as an entire industry, and governments encourage this because jumps racing is a tiny portion of the money they make from betting on horse racing.

2) People (mostly activists) seem to be angrier now because some people got hurt at a steeplechase, because a horse jumped the fence... i find that ridiculous.
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
2 23 May 2011
Unleashed Admin
JaimieCS said:
Two things:

1) Jumps racing is a very small portion of the racing industry. It is not 'worse' than flat racing, in terms of the treatment of the horses, the injuries sustained or the industry it supports, it's just more easily condemned because it's shortcomings are more visible. The racing industry allows jumps racing to be targeted and look vulnerable because it takes the heat off them as an entire industry, and governments encourage this because jumps racing is a tiny portion of the money they make from betting on horse racing.

2) People (mostly activists) seem to be angrier now because some people got hurt at a steeplechase, because a horse jumped the fence... i find that ridiculous.
Interesting discussion. Thanks for sharing. Here's a few quick thoughts in response:

1. You could say the opposite: jumps racing provides activists an angle (which the general public will find clear and accessible) to highlight the cruelty inherent in horse racing. Most people have little idea that there are any problems with horse racing - highlighting the worst aspects brings the whole industry under scrutiny and opens the door to highlight other problems, which are less obvious (eg. whips) and that people may have never paid attention to (eg. killing of unwanted horses) if they weren't already outraged about jumps racing. I think the horse racing industry has little say over what activists do, and they would definitely prefer that there was no focus on the cruelty of their industry at all.

2. I don't know that activists are 'angrier' about the spectators getting injured than about the horses getting injured. But it does add another strong angle to emphasise why this 'sport' should end, and to not highlight that in the campaign would be foolish. What one finds personally most outraging and what is likely to have the most sway on decision makers is not always one in the same. Since decision makers seem to have little concern for the wellbeing of the horses, it makes sense to also highlight the risks to spectators to have the best chance of getting it stopped.
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
3 23 May 2011
Sometimes it's the smaller sides of cruelty us activists focus on because if we win those battles, it becomes easier for us to win the war. ninja
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au