Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Why are people so anti vegan?

Particularly family!?

1 - 10 of 14 posts   1 | 2  

Shavvy Shavvy QLD Posts: 178
1 27 May 2011
I am so fed up with my friends and family who are constantly making excuses for themselves AND making out like I am making a mistake... Like I am naive and stupid. WHAT is up with that?? I can give facts and figures and I have family saying "You need to get your facts straight" and "check with reputable websites before you say things like that" I am so over it with it, the proof is in the pudding, and the pudding is something I have been studying a lot lately. A close family member thought she knew best when just the other day I asked the question "would you give up meat for even just a day to help the environment" this close family member started prattling on about how raising animals for food is NOT actually a leading cause of global warning, that it was in fact burning of fossil fuels and deforestation, when I said to her, yes indeed that is what it is, BUT what is over 50% of fossil fuels and deforestation going towards... OH breeding animals for food. She started to turn the subject around again...even when proven wrong in her theories, she never said one thing about that, just continued to list my faults, and mistakes. I am started to lose faith in friends and family who think me naive and stupid.
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
2 27 May 2011
I just don't bother any more. I get that same attitude from my family. I'm sure they haven't done any research into an omnivore diet but apparently we as veg*ans HAVE to do that for our diet to prove that it is healthy. But when we DO research, we are "discredited" by ignorant people because, as you said, all these websites are just biased dribble.
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
3 27 May 2011
I think its because people are so "old" and never want to try anything new. I get that a lot from my family.
ReplyQuote

V V SA Posts: 248
4 27 May 2011
I think you just answered your own question.
ReplyQuote

5 27 May 2011
V said:
I think you just answered your own question.
What does that even mean?
ReplyQuote

Buttons Buttons VIC Posts: 229
6 27 May 2011
My family were generally OK from the get-go, but in the beginning my sister would always mention this one woman she knew who apparently "messed up her health" by being vegan for years. It just took a while for her to see that I was getting all the nutrients I needed.

Moral of the story: It might just take some time for adjustment!
ReplyQuote

7 27 May 2011
Buttons said:
My family were generally OK from the get-go, but in the beginning my sister would always mention this one woman she knew who apparently "messed up her health" by being vegan for years. It just took a while for her to see that I was getting all the nutrients I needed.

Moral of the story: It might just take some time for adjustment!
I totally get that, but what business is it of theirs? Why do they bother fighting and researching AGAINST my decision, and finding the negatives of a vegan diet? Why not look into the negatives or positives of both diets...see which comes up trumps...or why not just let it go in general.
ReplyQuote

Kaedee Kaedee QLD Posts: 54
8 27 May 2011
I've been really luck in that most of my friends and family are very supportive of my decisions, but some are not. Sometimes I wonder if deep down they feel a slight bit guilty that they can't motivate themselves to d something good, and so lash out at other people.

My best response is that they can tell me all the things they think are bad about what I am doing, but they are never going to change the way I feel. Then I just walk away. Sometimes its best to just give a blunt answer and walk away, than to keep arguing with them.

Remember when arguing with stupid people they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience  laugh
ReplyQuote

Buttons Buttons VIC Posts: 229
9 27 May 2011
Shavvy said:
I totally get that, but what business is it of theirs? Why do they bother fighting and researching AGAINST my decision, and finding the negatives of a vegan diet? Why not look into the negatives or positives of both diets...see which comes up trumps...or why not just let it go in general.
Sorry, I was just trying to put a positive story in. Researching to argue against the choices you make about your own food and what you want to put into your body? Wow. I'm really sorry you have to face that!
ReplyQuote

AliceinWhorrorland AliceinWhorrorland VIC Posts: 95
10 28 May 2011
I think people should be more supportive, I'm probably going vegan when I move out, and I'm pretty sure my mum at least won't like it, I'm not allowed to become a vegetarian, but I still am, really it's your decision, and a great thing for animals everywhere, if they could talk, I'm sure they would thank you =)
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au