Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Pescetarians are NOT vegetarians!

31 - 40 of 98 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
31 30 May 2011
kimberleyfrancess said:
psychokitten said:
It gets hard because people WANT you to have a title.
I'm "Vegan" now because it's easier than explaining that I sometimes still eat bugs (only if I slip up, it's not a routine thing, I'm just not very good at that yet)
Woah. Back the truck up. You eat bugs?
Bugs are friends, not food.
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
32 30 May 2011
Oysters arent animals. We have no idea if they are sentient or  have sensitivity to pain any more than seaweed.
I wouldnt get all morally superior about it unless you're sure. But when they work it out I'll be sure to dig the heels in and let them know they're not worthy
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
33 30 May 2011
Aaron said:
Oysters arent animals. We have no idea if they are sentient or  have sensitivity to pain any more than seaweed.
I wouldnt get all morally superior about it unless you're sure. But when they work it out I'll be sure to dig the heels in and let them know they're not worthy
They have a pain receptor. The only thing that prevents them from being considered sentient is the fact that they don't have a brain, and don't have the mental capacity experience pain. They are also part of the mollusc family, which includes snails and squids. Both snails and squids are sentient. And molluscs are part of the animal kingdom, so yes, oysters are in fact animals.
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
34 30 May 2011
kimberleyfrancess said:
psychokitten said:
I'm "Vegan" now because it's easier than explaining that I sometimes still eat bugs (only if I slip up, it's not a routine thing, I'm just not very good at that yet)
Ive read somewhere that she rides a bike, so im guessing- as i do.. Sometimes get a few bugs hitting you and sometimes they end up in your mouth, rofl
ReplyQuote

35 30 May 2011
well not having a brain makes it hard to feel pain. And what evolutionary purpose would pain be? They have no fight or flight instincts.
Snails and squid are different.

Everyone draws the line somewhere different, but if you want to include non sentient beings such as coral, it's a slippery path
ReplyQuote

psychokitten psychokitten QLD Posts: 340
36 30 May 2011
kimberleyfrancess said:
psychokitten said:
Lmao I meant in like food colouring and stuff, honey sometimes too, just not always very strict or specific about label reading. Like I said, its not on purpose, just need more practice.
Although I did have my husband convinced that I ate green ants and witchety grubs before he came out to Australia lol
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
37 30 May 2011
psychokitten said:
kimberleyfrancess said:
psychokitten said:
Lmao I meant in like food colouring and stuff, honey sometimes too, just not always very strict or specific about label reading. Like I said, its not on purpose, just need more practice.
Although I did have my husband convinced that I ate green ants and witchety grubs before he came out to Australia lol
I actually think it was a joke and we were taking the piss tongue
ReplyQuote

psychokitten psychokitten QLD Posts: 340
38 30 May 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
psychokitten said:
kimberleyfrancess said:
psychokitten said:
I actually think it was a joke and we were taking the piss tongue
Har har, lol I'm used to Americans believing me on that, hard to tell
ReplyQuote

Contreras Contreras NSW Posts: 349
39 30 May 2011
Aaron said:
Oysters have hearts, stomachs and mouths as well as nerve receptive ganglia. They are indeed an animal but don't possess a central nervous system so we can't be sure if they feel "pain" but considering they have receptors to feel external stimuli they will detect something. I do agree where people draw the line is up too them (as with anything).
ReplyQuote

40 31 May 2011
Yvan said:
Aaron said:
Oysters have hearts, stomachs and mouths as well as nerve receptive ganglia. They are indeed an animal but don't possess a central nervous system so we can't be sure if they feel "pain" but considering they have receptors to feel external stimuli they will detect something. I do agree where people draw the line is up too them (as with anything).
ok technically marine animals (i dont think of them as animals) but wheres the proof they feel pain? Even plants have receptors because they interact with their surrounding environment.
People are entitled to be semantic lunatics but if they try to say that other people arent vegan because they dont feel sorry for a sponge, that's not their right.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au