Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Pescetarians are NOT vegetarians!

41 - 50 of 98 posts   2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
41 31 May 2011
Aaron said:
ok technically marine animals (i dont think of them as animals) but wheres the proof they feel pain? Even plants have receptors because they interact with their surrounding environment.
People are entitled to be semantic lunatics but if they try to say that other people arent vegan because they dont feel sorry for a sponge, that's not their right.
This is how I see it. Vegetarians/vegans don't eat any members of the animal kingdom, oysters are part of the animal kingdom. Not the plant kingdom. (Or the others that I can't remember the names of at the moment. tongue )
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
42 31 May 2011
^ well that would be a rule for the sake of a rules with no logical backing.

Personally, if there were some species of plant that was conscious of fear pain (I know it's not plausible) I wouldn't eat it. If there are animals that feel no pain/fear i would eat them.

Veganisim is about reducing harm to sentient beings. Not  spiritual purity linked to some reincarnation, new age hippie philosophy
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
43 31 May 2011
Aaron said:
^ well that would be a rule for the sake of a rules with no logical backing.

Personally, if there were some species of plant that was conscious of fear pain (I know it's not plausible) I wouldn't eat it. If there are animals that feel no pain/fear i would eat them.

Veganisim is about reducing harm to sentient beings. Not  spiritual purity linked to some reincarnation, new age hippie philosophy
Veganism is about not eating animals or their by-products, actually.
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
44 31 May 2011
^ every vegan I have ever met is vegan to reduce suffering. There are different types of veganism, environmental, ethical, religious...
If vegans have a problem with using something that has no feelings they shouldnt be eating plants.
I dont eat oysters so it would be easy for me to claim I'm doing for some moral reason, but the fact is, I'd probably throw up. And if I was to get so pedantic about things that cant feel pain I would be a total hypocrite because plenty of "vegan" things I eat DO cause enormous pain to animals and the environment.
Having said that I couldnt care less about being part of some special group. I ate an egg from a rescued hen a while ago so I guess I'm not vegan anyway. But that's good, I'd rather question whether something is ethical or not rather than if it fits some arbitrary cult definition of the term vegan.
Having said that, I'm always glad when food is labeled vegan.
ReplyQuote

Contreras Contreras NSW Posts: 349
45 31 May 2011
The thing about oysters is they can't just move when being "hurt". There is still some debate whether fish feel pain, although it seems likely after tests which concluded that fish acted differently when endearing skin pain. With oysters it's hard too say really, they can't 100% say they don't feel pain or do because they do have organ receptors but they can't show reaction to "pain". The only thing they can do when irritated is basically build a pearl from calcium carbonate but that doesn't imply pain, irritation is separate.

Which comes to is it vegan? Back to definition no it's an animal, but considering most vegans don't care about the definition and more about causing pain/suffering to other animals the only case you can come up with is there remains a chance that they may feel pain but that could even be applied to plants. There is no overwhelming conclusive evidence for either side unfortunately.

Another point, if we can eat Oysters isn't that similar to the situation now? Deciding which animals are okay to eat and which aren't? They are still animals, they eat and process food, they have animal organs and receptors unlike plants which photosynthesize and have separate plant receptors..
ReplyQuote

JayT JayT VIC Posts: 525
46 31 May 2011
There is only one type of Veganism (as described by MissMonster), but there are multiple reasons people decide to be Vegan.

Aaron, I cant believe you would actually eat an animal if it didn't feel pain...
ReplyQuote

Veg mum Veg mum VIC Posts: 21
47 10 Jul 2011
Heather. said:
. said:
If you only eat fish once a month, it wouldnt be hard to stop?? You said your going to try become vegetarian.. If it's such a rare occurrence that you eat fish- I dont really understand how it could be hard :S Fish was the easiest thing for me to stop eating- cos I never really enjoyed it that much. Besides crustaceans, oysters and crabs.
Oh it's not hard to give up that's not the problem. I never used to eat much fish anyways we mainly had Chicken and that was the easiet thing to give up for me.

I only became a Pescetarian at the beginning of the year and that was quite a big change for my parents. My Dad still asks me every other week if I'm still a Vegetarian.I correct him and say yes I'm still a Pescetarian and this isn't a phase. My Mum says I still have to eat fish.

So I'm still a Pescetarian because of my situation at home.
I don't want to judge but I find this quite sad that your parents make you eat fish.
I've been searching this forum because my daughter went veggie at 16 and vegan this easter (she's 17 now) and I want to find products to suit her conscience and keep her healthy. I admire her stance and I know she's given up a lot that she really likes.
She challenged me to join her but I can't eliminate dairy at this point tho I have been meat free for several months now.
My husband and two other kids are still omnivores so I'm cooking a lot of different meals but I wouldn't force anyone in the family to adopt a diet not of their choice.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
48 11 Jul 2011
You sound like a good parent eezly!
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
49 11 Jul 2011
maybe they think... oyster sauce is the sauce used for oysters not of oysters. also i'd be a lil confused if someone asked if I was vegetarian intuitively. then asked if I want oyster sauce or not. should just leave it out by default tongue then if they complain about it... you can laugh histerically in their face.
ReplyQuote

Heather. Heather. QLD Posts: 230
50 13 Jul 2011
eezly said:
Heather. said:
. said:
If you only eat fish once a month, it wouldnt be hard to stop?? You said your going to try become vegetarian.. If it's such a rare occurrence that you eat fish- I dont really understand how it could be hard :S Fish was the easiest thing for me to stop eating- cos I never really enjoyed it that much. Besides crustaceans, oysters and crabs.
Oh it's not hard to give up that's not the problem. I never used to eat much fish anyways we mainly had Chicken and that was the easiet thing to give up for me.

I only became a Pescetarian at the beginning of the year and that was quite a big change for my parents. My Dad still asks me every other week if I'm still a Vegetarian.I correct him and say yes I'm still a Pescetarian and this isn't a phase. My Mum says I still have to eat fish.

So I'm still a Pescetarian because of my situation at home.
I don't want to judge but I find this quite sad that your parents make you eat fish.
I've been searching this forum because my daughter went veggie at 16 and vegan this easter (she's 17 now) and I want to find products to suit her conscience and keep her healthy. I admire her stance and I know she's given up a lot that she really likes.
She challenged me to join her but I can't eliminate dairy at this point tho I have been meat free for several months now.
My husband and two other kids are still omnivores so I'm cooking a lot of different meals but I wouldn't force anyone in the family to adopt a diet not of their choice.
Hello Eezly, I think it's fantastic that you are so supportive of your daughter and her Veganism and that she has inspired you to become Vegetarian happy

I myself am sixteen and as I mentioned earlier I eat fish about once a month sometimes much less. My parent's have been quite supportive of me and sometimes my Dad cook's a complete separate meal for me. My Mother eats a lot of Vegetarian food and I think that's fantastic. I'm happy that both of my parent's are open to trying Vegetarian food. Also if we ever go out for dinner, we will go somewhere where they have Vegetarian food.

I have to admit that it is a big change for them and their reason for wanting me to eat fish stems from them wanting me to be healthy. I think they just want the best for me and think that it is important that I have fish sometimes. Tey do not pressure me into having fish/make me have fish rather they encourage it or ask me will if I will eat fish (because they have bought some) and my Mum sometimes says that fish is good for me etc.

One day soon I will get up the courage and tell them that I have become Vegetarian.

Thank you for speaking your mind happy
ReplyQuote

[ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ]  [ 8 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au