Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Pescetarians are NOT vegetarians!

51 - 60 of 98 posts   3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  

Supercalifragilisticexpiali... Supercalifragilisticexpiali... QLD Posts: 199
51 15 Jul 2011
I don't understand why others get so worked up, frustrated etc about what another person labels themselves. Why is it anyone else's concern?

For the most part in my experience I've found ppl use the "wrong" label to make things simple, like they say they're vego because perhaps they can't eat most meat for medical reasons but oyster sauce is not an issue for them. Simply saying "I'm vego" is going to be a lot easier than detailing their medical issues to every tom dick and harry.

So OP I think you were right to not go into it any further with with the patron, it's a case of MYOB in that circumstance.
ReplyQuote

Chewie Chewie NSW Posts: 521
52 15 Jul 2011
Ames said:
I don't understand why others get so worked up, frustrated etc about what another person labels themselves. Why is it anyone else's concern?

For the most part in my experience I've found ppl use the "wrong" label to make things simple, like they say they're vego because perhaps they can't eat most meat for medical reasons but oyster sauce is not an issue for them. Simply saying "I'm vego" is going to be a lot easier than detailing their medical issues to every tom dick and harry.

So OP I think you were right to not go into it any further with with the patron, it's a case of MYOB in that circumstance.
A vegetarian who may not have a huge issue with oyster sauce is slightly different than someone who eats fish all the time. I think people get frustrated because someone who says, "I'm vegetarian" and then eats fish makes it difficult for actual vegetarians. I've been offered and also served fish related products at restaurants and functions as a vegetarian option because so many people - including chefs - assume fish is vegetarian, because of the amount of people who say they're vegetarian and eat fish. I'm a vegan now so this doesn't happen, but it happened several times a week as a vegetarian and it was inconvenient and annoying to be offered fish and served food with some sort of seafood product.
ReplyQuote

53 15 Jul 2011
Chewie said:
Ames said:

.p
A vegetarian who may not have a huge issue with oyster sauce is slightly different than someone who eats fish all the time. I think people get frustrated because someone who says, "I'm vegetarian" and then eats fish makes it difficult for actual vegetarians. I've been offered and also served fish related products at restaurants and functions as a vegetarian option because so many people - including chefs - assume fish is vegetarian, because of the amount of people who say they're vegetarian and eat fish. I'm a vegan now so this doesn't happen, but it happened several times a week as a vegetarian and it was inconvenient and annoying to be offered fish and served food with some sort of seafood product.
Wow, in 17 years of ordering vego meals I have never been given fish as part of a a vegetarian meal, where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I lived in Sydney most of that time so that may be why?? All I ever got for a vego meal at a function was ye olde vegetable stack lol

Ppl serve fish to vegetarians because quite frankly they're ignorant. I don't believe it has anything to do with pescos calling themselves vego. Some ppl just don't consider fish (and often chicken) to be "meat".
ReplyQuote

54 15 Jul 2011
People are definitely misinformed as well, but I definitely believe it's partly because of vegetarians saying they eat fish. Case in point - just had a discussion this morning where my boss was saying that, "vegetarians eat fish, but they don't eat eggs or dairy." I tried to explain that what she said wasn't the case, but then she said, "No, they eat fish but they don't eat eggs or dairy! I know vegetarians who won't touch eggs or dairy but who eat fish, so that's what vegetarians are?" She wouldn't listen to the vegan who knows these things haha!
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
55 15 Jul 2011
Chewie said:
People are definitely misinformed as well, but I definitely believe it's partly because of vegetarians saying they eat fish. Case in point - just had a discussion this morning where my boss was saying that, "vegetarians eat fish, but they don't eat eggs or dairy." I tried to explain that what she said wasn't the case, but then she said, "No, they eat fish but they don't eat eggs or dairy! I know vegetarians who won't touch eggs or dairy but who eat fish, so that's what vegetarians are?" She wouldn't listen to the vegan who knows these things haha!
lol That's crazy.
I know a few people that call themselves vegetarian but still eat fish... and sometimes ham... and sometimes chicken...
rolleyes   I have tried to politely correct them.
If people are going to use labels, they should use the right one.
ReplyQuote

56 15 Jul 2011
Chewie said:
Ppl mislabeling themselves may contribute to others misunderstanding vegetarianism but I doubt this will impact most vegetarians in day to day life. Chefs etc have to be much more switched on about special diets mainly due to so many intollerances and allergies these days. So I dare say the majority of at least average chefs and cooks have a clear understanding of what is and is not vegetarian these days.

Also the PP who said they eat fish monthly but call themselves vegetarian, they are essentially vegetarian for 29 days a month so IMO they are entitled to call themselves vegetarian (but I believe anyone is entitled to call themselves anything they like, within the law of course).

IMO the only reason veg*ns get so narky about what others claiming to be veg*n eat, is usually just to make themselves feel better, superior etc. Just my opinion.
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
57 15 Jul 2011
Ames said:
IMO the only reason veg*ns get so narky about what others claiming to be veg*n eat, is usually just to make themselves feel better, superior etc. Just my opinion.
Meh... maybe for some, but anything labelled wrongly irritates me.
I cannot stand it when people say dinner, when they are talking about lunch (and say tea instead of dinner). Or saying pants when they are talking about undies/knickers. When my husband says butter instead of margarine. When a jacket is called a jumper.

I don't get angry about it, just irritated. Yes, I'm an annoying person to live with.
ashamed
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
58 15 Jul 2011
It is annoying over here where it says at the end of ingredient list "all of non-animal origin" or "all of vegetable or synthetic origin" but then also "contains crustaceans and fish".

bah.

some places just don't get it. all the meals that say 'Vegetarian..etc' also have egg.
ReplyQuote

59 15 Jul 2011
Casper.s2 said:
It is annoying over here where it says at the end of ingredient list "all of non-animal origin" or "all of vegetable or synthetic origin" but then also "contains crustaceans and fish".
Not quite sure I understand - do you mean 'may contain traces' of crustaceans and fish? Because if so, they're still vegetarian/vegan; it just means they're produced in the same factory as these products.
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
60 15 Jul 2011
I think we should all come up with different titles. Like:

A vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat meat WHAT SO EVER
A…pesectarian only eats FISH
A…Eegan…(tongue) only eats eggs but no other animal products
A…Degan…is someone who eats dairy
A…Heegan…is someone who only eats honey

Wow, I'm quite a demented person! tongue
ReplyQuote

[ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ]  [ 8 ]  [ 9 ]